Author Topic: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round  (Read 20195 times)

Re: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I nominate myself for worst pick of the sixth. I really thought Channing Frye was going to see a ton of mins this season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That was great drafting.

Did someone say "Great Drafting?"

Round 1

Best Pick: Champkind (10) Dwayne Wade. I almost skipped the 1st round because of the gulf between choosing 1-5 and 25-30. But I feel secure in giving the nod to Champ, who took Wade when his value was at it's lowest, and was reward with an MVP worthy campaign.

Honorable Mention: IndeedProceed (30) Brandon Roy and Celticmaestro (24) Kevin Durant. By the way, Maestro, thanks for leaving me in the lurch with a last minute trade inspired by the hours of controversy surrounding the 1st pick. Scrambling, I made the selection that may qualify as...

Wort Pick: The Walker Wiggle (25) Gilbert Arenas. Although he did look good in his end of season "exhibition." And I actually think Motrossity is more deserving of this thumbs down for missing TWO selection times and ending up with (20) Tyson Chandler and an off year (22) Baron Davis.

How did Elton Brand not make the worst pick list? 

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That was great drafting.

Did someone say "Great Drafting?"

Round 1

Best Pick: Champkind (10) Dwayne Wade. I almost skipped the 1st round because of the gulf between choosing 1-5 and 25-30. But I feel secure in giving the nod to Champ, who took Wade when his value was at it's lowest, and was reward with an MVP worthy campaign.

Honorable Mention: IndeedProceed (30) Brandon Roy and Celticmaestro (24) Kevin Durant. By the way, Maestro, thanks for leaving me in the lurch with a last minute trade inspired by the hours of controversy surrounding the 1st pick. Scrambling, I made the selection that may qualify as...

Wort Pick: The Walker Wiggle (25) Gilbert Arenas. Although he did look good in his end of season "exhibition." And I actually think Motrossity is more deserving of this thumbs down for missing TWO selection times and ending up with (20) Tyson Chandler and an off year (22) Baron Davis.

Good call

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

Because - with exceptions - I'm giving weight to underachievers, a la Baron Davis, over injured players. And at least Brand managed not to be an offcourt distraction with a, "Will I or won't I?" media routine, (see Arenas, Gilbert).

Still I do accept that some GMs will disagree with me. (I just don't have to like it.)

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Round 6

Best Pick: zerophase (23) Paul Millsap, a career back up who thrived as a starter. His 19 consecutive double-doubles was the longest streak in Utah since Karl Malone left for L.A. If you want to know how much he means to the franchise witness the Jazz’s ongoing efforts to dump Carlos Boozer.

Honorable Mention: Two standout rookies: Evantime (15) Eric Gordon and whoever was running the Heat at the time? (18) Brook Lopez. Both GMs are only going to look smarter this season. So if our mystery GM would please step forward for a round of applause. (Wdeelhi?)

Worst Pick: What a difference a day makes. Lower stakes, higher rewards, and solid picks through out Round 6. But Rondo2287 wanted to make the Worst Pick list and now he does, (9) Sean Williams.

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
don't know if it warrants an honorable mention necessarily, but the ORlando Magics picked 2 eventual starters on playoff teams in the 6th:

6.13 - Delonte West (much to Edgar's dismay)
6.21 - Joakim Noah

not as good as Milsap, but not too shabby either.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
In my defense if Sean wasnt so high all the time he would have done better
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
In my defense if Sean wasnt so high all the time he would have done better.

Rod Thorn's own words.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Round 6

Best Pick: zerophase (23) Paul Millsap, a career back up who thrived as a starter. His 19 consecutive double-doubles was the longest streak in Utah since Karl Malone left for L.A. If you want to know how much he means to the franchise witness the Jazz’s ongoing efforts to dump Carlos Boozer.

Honorable Mention: Two standout rookies: Evantime (15) Eric Gordon and whoever was running the Heat at the time? (18) Brook Lopez. Both GMs are only going to look smarter this season. So if our mystery GM would please step forward for a round of applause. (Wdeelhi?)

Worst Pick: What a difference a day makes. Lower stakes, higher rewards, and solid picks through out Round 6. But Rondo2287 wanted to make the Worst Pick list and now he does, (9) Sean Williams.

That was my brother.  He's back this year with the Knicks.

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Round 6

I thought your brother was the Knicks last year, too?

If it was the Heat, I can't remember who took over for them mid-stream.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Round 6

I thought your brother was the Knicks last year, too?

Oh, I though he was talking about the Lopez pick.  (I know my Brother took one of them)

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can't remember if the 6th was the round I took Gallinari or not.  Yikes...   :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

I have the vague recollection of the Commissioner being forced to step in and run the team until celtsrp33 came forward. Anyway, I am happy to take credit if no one else will come forward. That said...

Round 7

Best Pick: Worthwhile rotation players were the order of the day in Round 7. I’m not sure that there’s a consensus favorite? But I’m singling out Crownsy (16) Spencer Hawes. Hawes is entering his third season as one of the game’s best young centers.

Honorable Mention:  I’m giving the nod to Celtic Maestro (8 ) Chris Duhon though his success is likely the product of D'Antoni's system and a lack of PG competition. The list of borderline starters is long.

Worst Pick: Did celticswillwin43 quit the blog after the fiasco that was the (23) Jamaal Tinsley contract dispute? Still, I’m under the impression that Tinsley could contribute, if only with the benefit of binding arbitration. So, fair or unfair, I’m going to make my choice motivated solely by spite, Steve Weinman (29) Sasha Vujacic. Were you trying to hurt me, SW, me?, the Daily Babble’s #1 fan?

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Fun stuff here WW, thanks for the memories.

I don't have another entry until Matt Barnes in the 9th round
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Philly 2008, always middle of the road  ;D