Author Topic: Suns Sign Courtney Sims  (Read 2681 times)

Suns Sign Courtney Sims
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I knew somebody would give this guy a shot (10 day contract with Suns).  I thought he was intriguing, putting up monster numbers in the NBDL.

Will keep an eye on this.

Re: Suns Sign Courtney Sims
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The way I read it:

"Suns desperate enough with the lack of quality backup bigs to sign Courtney Sims"

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
The way I read it:

"Suns desperate enough with the lack of quality backup bigs to sign Courtney Sims"
I think quite a few teams would fit that description... maybe us too.

God knows we spend enough time talking about it on Celts boards.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The way I read it:

Well, we already have POB. And we're in a better situation than the Suns.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
The way I read it:

Having POB doesn't address the need for a quality backup big at all (not to say that a guy like Sims would, just saying he put up intriguing numbers in the d-league).  I'm already convinced that POB is a complete dud.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The way I read it:

Having POB doesn't address the need for a quality backup big at all (not to say that a guy like Sims would, just saying he put up intriguing numbers in the d-league).  I'm already convinced that POB is a complete dud.

Agreed. But I'm fully convinced that having Sims wouldn't address that need as well. Intriguing numbers in the d-league for 7fters means very little. Nick Fazekas was putting excellent numbers in the D-League. He's such a bad player he wasn't even good enough to keep a job in a middle-of-the-pack club in the Belgian League (where there are plenty of guys who only play basketball as semi-pros and have another job). Sims is very probably better than POB. Better than Davis or Powe? He'd need to have developed his game quite a lot in the past few months.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
The way I read it:

Agreed. But I'm fully convinced that having Sims wouldn't address that need as well. Intriguing numbers in the d-league for 7 numbers mean very little. Nick Fazekas was putting excellent numbers in the D-League. He's such a bad player he wasn't even good enough to keep a job in a middle-of-the-pack club in the Belgian League (where there are plenty of guys who only play basketball as semi-pros and have another job). Sims is very probably better than POB. Better than Davis or Powe? He'd need to have developed his game quite a lot in the past few months.
Yeah, I know d-league numbers are rather like summer league numbers, and don't generally mean squat.  Occasionally somebody's game will translate to the NBA, but the odds aren't high.  I'm just saying that I'll be interested to see how this guy pans out.