Author Topic: Marbury to be Released Soon  (Read 14836 times)

Re: Marbury to be Released Soon
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

a shooting wing is a clear need, whereas a penetrating point for me isn't....especially with Sam sitting on the bench. I'd go to Sam for those skills before Mar..

This part I agree with.  I think if Sam is good to go, let Marbury go elsewhere.   I am just saying that if he isn't good to go, and be better than he was last years playoffs (not right now, but whenever they planned on setting him free), then you at least have to consider cutting Sam, and signing Marbury. 

I know they did OK with House last year...but I think an upgrade at backup PG will go a long way to help stop the stagnation of the second unit, especially on the road.
This is how i feel also.  But I also felt the same way with Gin Baker!

it's certainly possible that Mar would help. i definitely will concede that.

but my overall stance is something Wide Load mentioned a while back: until it happens, i'm against it, but if it happens, i'll hope for the best.

Marbury set to move on
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Links from RealGm and ESPN:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/56666/20090118/marbury_set_to_move_on/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3842041

He says he has a firm offer from one team... Could that be Boston? I thought we already had 15 players under contract?

Not sure if this is good news or bad news (I'm still on the fence about Marbury coming here, although I'm leaning toward optimistic).

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

Re: Marbury set to move on
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

Offline NBAJ2K

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
I still hope we are able to get him, think he could be low risk and great coming off the bench. 

But not sure what we would do to clear space for him.  Possibly there is a trade lined up for if/when Marbury becomes a free agent, for us to do a 2 for 1 or trade someone such as giddens for a future pick somehow.

We will see what happens, but it sounds like we may know one way or another this week.

~J

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think it's the Lakers. He's been to several of their games, and they do need another point guard with Farmar injured. I think they can deal with his ego issues since Kobe would unquestionable be the best player there, and Marbury would start as well.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
That team must be Boston.

"The Celtics are the leading candidates to sign Marbury, according to a source"

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01182009/sports/knicks/marbury_set_to_give_back__move_on_150697.htm

"So Boston, as we've been discussing here  since New Year's Day, remains the only contender with a confirmed interest in Marbury"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090117-18

I hope he gets a buyout from the Knicks soon and joins our team. I'd say Cassell will be waived and starts his coaching career since we would have too many point guards in the team (unless there is a trade in the horizon)

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It is still an open question as to whether Marbury gets bought out/ released, right?

I could see him ending up with any of the Cavs (with Delonte injured), Lakers, Celtics.  Of course, if it is one of the first two, I hope Marbury becomes a destructive cancer.  OTOH, if it is the Cs, hopefully he is a saint.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The most logical thing to do would be to release Cassell or Giddens, unless we could work out a trade for a future 2nd round pick. Don't see any thing else to make the roster room

Would be completely shocked if it was anyone but Boston signing him.  He would be a step up from Pruitt as far as running the offense for the 2nd unit. Somewhat of a step back defensively though.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Can we have a moratorium on Marbury threads?

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Knicks could be spiteful and not buy him out or release him until after such time as he wouldn't be able to be put on a post season roster. These whoe dealings have been messed up and it wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't gotten personal and the Knicks decide to make sure Marbury doesn't get a ring.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
the knicks are really stupid if they don't give in here. as big as a jerk marbury can be he is right-it's his money.they AGREED to pay him that.if they hold him late just out of spite other players will remember that. do the knicks want their season to be about being mad at stephon marbury or about a promising rebuilding year? anyone involved in this fiasco should be embarassed. mike d'antoni should be embarassed he took part in this foolishness.

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
the knicks are really stupid if they don't give in here. as big as a jerk marbury can be he is right-it's his money.they AGREED to pay him that.if they hold him late just out of spite other players will remember that. do the knicks want their season to be about being mad at stephon marbury or about a promising rebuilding year? anyone involved in this fiasco should be embarassed. mike d'antoni should be embarassed he took part in this foolishness.
he's not going to get bought out until after the deadline. 

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Do you trust Marbury to accept a lesser role with the Celtics and backup Rondo?

Can he guide the 2nd unit into a cohesive unit and give the big three a rest?

Is he capable of playing Celtics defense?
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The most logical thing to do would be to release Cassell or Giddens, unless we could work out a trade for a future 2nd round pick. Don't see any thing else to make the roster room

Would be completely shocked if it was anyone but Boston signing him.  He would be a step up from Pruitt as far as running the offense for the 2nd unit. Somewhat of a step back defensively though.

Im cautiously on board with Marbury coming to the team, but if we waived Giddens to open a spot for him I would be furious to say the least.  Unless there is a trade on the horizon the only option is for Cassell to retire and become a coach because Marbury would fill the only role that would warrant keeping Cassell on the roster.
Greg

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Do you trust Marbury to accept a lesser role with the Celtics and backup Rondo?

Can he guide the 2nd unit into a cohesive unit and give the big three a rest?

Is he capable of playing Celtics defense?

i trust that ainge and doc will not blink before cutting him should he cause any problems. if, if, if the celtics do sign marbury, i expect him to play a role similar to what they wanted from cassell last year...explosive scorer off the bench, experience to back up rondo.

let's face it. if marbury has his head on straight (low probability, but possible) his offensive skills will tear up the bench players of almost every team in the nba.

i also hope that for the sake of his career and future contract that marbury will at least play some team ball off the bench. i think marbury MIGHT behave for 1/2 of a season. if so the celtics bench scoring goes from unreliable to good.

i dont like marbury as a person, but if ainge thinks he is worth a try, i wont argue until marbury implodes...and i hope he doesnt.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Marbury to be Released Soon
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think he's going to LA.  I don't think it is a coincidence that he has been attending their games.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson