Author Topic: No Ring for Posey This Year  (Read 13928 times)

No Ring for Posey This Year
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I just watched the Cavs dispatch the Hornets rather easily, notwithstanding the absence of Ilgauskas and West.

The Hornets are playing at half speed and Posey did nothing to snap them out of it.  4 points on 1-5 shooting with 5 boards.

LeBron, meanwhile, had a fairly LeBron-esque 29-14, with 7 assists and 3 steals.  If there is a "LeBron stopper" in the league, he doesn't play for New Orleans.

Re: No Ring for Posey This Year
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
To be honest I don't feel like the Hornets played any worse than the Celtics did a week ago. I wouldn't write off the Hornets just yet but if we are then we might as well write of our beloved Celtics too.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
That was a fairly pathetic effort from New Orleans.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
We all knew that posey wasn't worth that contract he got. He just a complimentary player that does the little things well. It seems that the Hornets should've resigned Pargo instead of Posey. Pargo took the pressure off CP3 & lifted the 2nd unit. He had a horrible game 6 & 7 against the spurs thus he got the boot. Talk about overreacting!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
losing both pargo and bonzi was really tough for their bench

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Interesting to hear JVG say (I'll take his word for it because I don't have league pass) that the Hornets' intensity and effort is down this year from last year. One of biggest reasons people are saying that the Celtics are missing Posey is his leadership off the bench. It doesn't look like that leadership has helped out New Orleans too much.

Tonight Posey's new team looked lethargic throughout the game, they didn't get out on the break at all, and the Cavs executed much better in the halfcourt on both ends. Posey was a non factor, D-West was unimpressive despite scoring 23 (he was only 6-16 from the field), and CP3 was just okay. The only Hornet who played up to his capabilities was Peja, who shot 4-8 from beyond the arc.

The Hornets are a team with a lot of holes, in my opinion. First and foremost, they need some more length off the bench. Hilton Armstrong logged 5 minutes, and beyond him the Hornets don't have any other bench players in their rotation who are listed at power forward or center.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:16:58 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I read somewhere that the Hornets were starting to tune out their coach Byron Scott and were getting sick of him. That is a recipe for disaster in terms of playoff success unfortunately for them.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:20:02 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Was Posey guarding LeBron? Because LeBron has a monster game.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 12:23:51 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
They tried everyone on LeBron, and they played some zone, too.

When the Celtics went into Cleveland they just played badly, and Pierce was obviously hurting.

The Hornets played with no passion whatsoever.  There's a difference. It looks to me as if Byron Scott has lost the team.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Hornets have been really disappointing this season. They should be 2nd in the east with their loaded roster. They should even be better than last season. Injuries have been hurting their team lately.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:36:59 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
losing both pargo and bonzi was really tough for their bench

We should sign both or either of these guys and a big if we can find one.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Interesting to hear JVG say (I'll take his word for it because I don't have league pass) that the Hornets' intensity and effort is down this year from last year. One of biggest reasons people are saying that the Celtics are missing Posey is his leadership off the bench. It doesn't look like that leadership has helped out New Orleans too much.
Posey's leadership is helping New Orleans .... but it can't cover over all their holes (Peja/Tyson/backup guard/backup big/offensive diversity/no stopper).

Talent talks and the Hornets talent is either lacking or misfiring depending on which problem you're talking about.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 06:35:54 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Posey's leadership is helping New Orleans .... but it can't cover over all their holes (Peja/Tyson/backup guard/backup big/offensive diversity/no stopper).

Talent talks and the Hornets talent is either lacking or misfiring depending on which problem you're talking about.

I didn't see any leadership from Posey, unless that little hugging thing he does at the beginning of the game passes for leadership.

Posey was playing at half speed too.  This loss wasn't about lack of talent, holes on the roster or sloppy play.  It was about lack of effort.

The Cavs had plenty of holes in their roster but they sucked it up and played hard.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I also think, like Rocka said, they miss Pargo and Bonzi more than people realize.  Both of those guys were great for them last season.  Posey makes up for some of Bonzi, but Bonzi was a much better all around player.

I think Posey was not a good signing for them, not because Posey is not a great role player, but because they don't have a solid enough starting lineup (at least not one that can contend) to spend so much money on a role player.  They should have upgraded their starting lineup first.

Posey is a better fit for a team like the Celtics or Lakers because they have one of the best starting five's already and only need great role players off the bench (although LA could use an upgrade at pg).  Not so for NO.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Posey was never even close to a Lebron stopper. Lebron killed us in the play-offs when Posey was guarding him. Pierce was the guy who had the most success guarding him. Posey wasn't fast or strong enough to guard Lebron, and was blown by basically every time. It's funny how his name is brought up everytime we mention needing a guy to stop Lebron. Posey is an excellent team defender, but he struggles against the more explosive players.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:26:33 AM by ManUp »