Author Topic: Pittsnogle  (Read 6088 times)

Pittsnogle
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I was quite surprised to read about him in the basketball news section today:

"Less than three years ago, Pittsnogle was an all-American senior averaging 19.3 points who led West Virginia to the 2006 regional semifinals. He expected to be chosen in the N.B.A draft. He was not.

Now, at 24, he is a middle school teacher in his hometown. He is also an unpaid assistant coach for a high school basketball team. He bowls in leagues three nights a week and occasionally plays bingo at Big Bucks Bingo. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/sports/ncaabasketball/16pittsnogle.html?_r=1&ref=sports

It seems like a very good guy, wondering if he had bad luck or what could have happened to him

Re: Do you remember Kevin Pittsnogle?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
When someone's name is Pittsnogle, they are kind of hard to forget. He must not want to leave the country longterm, he could definitely play overseas, I read the article and he has, but I guess he just wants to be home.

Side note:

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Interesting article.  I assumed he was raking in the money in Europe by now.  They didn't really touch on that, but I wonder if he chose not to stay in Europe, or if he just didn't make it there, because of the weight issues.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
"On July 23, 2007 Pittsnogle signed with French Pro A league team Cholet Basket, but was cut one week before the start of the season."

From his wikipedia article, that was his only time in Europe as far as I know.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thanks for the link.  TP.

I just started grad school for Special Ed degree so I definitely admire him for his pursuit.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Mr Pittsnogle, the 6'11 tattoed middle school teacher? Man, sounds like casting for "The Substitute 4" is already in the works. Does he have a military history?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

I just started grad school for Special Ed degree so I definitely admire him for his pursuit.

Congrats on starting grad school.  Getting an M.Ed?
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Even though is basketball career is over at least he has a pretty decent middle income job. Unlike some other stars who get really rich and go bankrupt.

And he can also tell people that he almost had a shot to play with the celtics. Not many can say such a thing

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Congrats on starting grad school.  Getting an M.Ed?

Thanks.  Yes I am. 

I learned a valuable lesson last night:  Don't start reading a new topic right before bed...My brain was busy working on projects all night while I was trying to sleep...Not a good combo.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I am pretty sure the celtics gave him a look or he was at camp in 06' or 07'. I am either imagining things or he was there and the Celts cut him.
I am 99.1% posetive!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I found it! Now I am 100% sure we signed him, here's the link.........
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41671/20060726/celtics_sign_undrafted_rookie_kevin_pittsnogle/
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Pittsnogle learned last fall that he had a thyroid condition that slowed his metabolism. It helped explain his fluctuating weight, long trending upward.

Medication has helped him lose 25 pounds and re-energize his playing hopes. He is pondering N.B.A. summer leagues, one last time.

“If I look the way I’m supposed to look, and play the way I’m supposed to play, I think I’ll get a chance,” Pittsnogle said. “If not, I’ll come back and live my life here.”

Sounds like we haven't seen the last of Kevin Pittsnoggle the basketball player. Now that his weight is back under control, it seems like he's going to give it another shot, and maybe even go to Europe. It's tough though because he could make a lot of money playing in Europe, but he already has kids here. He could set himself up for life, but he'd either have to permanantly move his family overseas, or miss his kids for most of the year. He's going to have some tough decisions to make if he indeed decides to puruse a basketball career again.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If I were him. I'd go to Europe for a year or two, take in all that cash. Come home, continue to teach, and he'll be set. But then he has a family to worry about.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Yea we had Pittsonoggle in the preseason a while back. It was the dawn of the Pittsonoggle era!

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
When I saw this thread, I was certain someone was going to propose signing him as the answer to our bench problems.

I'm clearly reading too many threads on this board.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."