Author Topic: Darius running the final miles: 10th game is tonight  (Read 9900 times)

Darius running the final miles: 10th game is tonight
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
The Grizzlies face the Jazz tonight and Darius could reach the long awaited 10th game mark. It seems the Grizzlies like what they see in him, so maybe he makes their roster:

"He's done a really good job of coming in and providing good minutes at multiple positions," Griz reserve forward Hakim Warrick said. "He's playing smarter now that he can't rely on his athleticism as much."

Miles has played well off the ball and has been most impressive with his activity on defense.

He's rebounding, blocking shots and stepping into passing lanes for steals and deflections."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/16/miles-showing-off-versatility-for-griz/

Re: Darius running the final miles: 10th game is tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:58 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
despite all that this does against the blazers i'm more excited for Darius. I'm glad that he's gotten the chance to come back to the NBA, its really just a shame that the blazers said that his career was over just to be done with his contract. i'm really happy for D-Miles.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
despite all that this does against the blazers i'm more excited for Darius. I'm glad that he's gotten the chance to come back to the NBA, its really just a shame that the blazers said that his career was over just to be done with his contract. i'm really happy for D-Miles.

Well, to be fair, a neutral doctor appointed by the league declared his career over.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Well, to be fair, a neutral doctor appointed by the league declared his career over.

How do we know he was really neutral?  Just because he was supposed to be doesn't mean he was.  Maybe Portland paid him off.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

How do we know he was really neutral?  Just because he was supposed to be doesn't mean he was.  Maybe Portland paid him off.

Ya I don't know how neutral he was.  He might not have been an employee of the Portland Trailblazers, but when a very presitigous multi-million business asks for your opinion, it's very likely you're going to tell them what they want to hear, especially if you want to keep getting business from them.  From what has happened recently it is very clear Portland is a very classy organization and would never do anything shady  ::), so I think it's very reasonable that they are going to pick a doctor that is going to tell them what they want to hear.

Also there could be other incentives.  "Hey Doc, if you tell us Darius Miles has a career ending injury we save over $18 million and get some insurance money.  His career is over right?"

"Yes, yes it is."

"Thanks Doc, oh and here's a check for your fee, $1.8M." (10%).

I could easily see it going down like that.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

No smiley face bankshot? you're actually serious with the conspiracy theory nonsense?

come on!? give me a smiley face   ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Ya I don't know how neutral he was.  He might not have been an employee of the Portland Trailblazers, but when a very presitigous multi-million business asks for your opinion, it's very likely you're going to tell them what they want to hear, especially if you want to keep getting business from them.  From what has happened recently it is very clear Portland is a very classy organization and would never do anything shady  ::), so I think it's very reasonable that they are going to pick a doctor that is going to tell them what they want to hear.

Also there could be other incentives.  "Hey Doc, if you tell us Darius Miles has a career ending injury we save over $18 million and get some insurance money.  His career is over right?"

"Yes, yes it is."

Wow, you too bdm860? Ok... So the NBA is corrupt guys?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The Grizzlies face the Jazz tonight and Darius could reach the long awaited 10th game mark. It seems the Grizzlies like what they see in him, so maybe he makes their roster:

"He's done a really good job of coming in and providing good minutes at multiple positions," Griz reserve forward Hakim Warrick said. "He's playing smarter now that he can't rely on his athleticism as much."

Miles has played well off the ball and has been most impressive with his activity on defense.

He's rebounding, blocking shots and stepping into passing lanes for steals and deflections."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/16/miles-showing-off-versatility-for-griz/

happy for darius, glad to see him make it back.

side note: all those things he's gotten better at sound like they would have been mighty useful for us off the bench right now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
In March 2008, the Portland Trail Blazers petitioned the NBA and the NBA Players Association to provide an independent doctor to decide if Miles would be able to play again.[5] Following the examination, it was determined that the damage to Miles' knee was severe enough to be classified as career-ending, prompting the Blazers to request waivers for his release on April 14, 2008.

Quick, Jason (2008-03-18). "Miles' future with Blazers up in air". OregonLive.com. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
In March 2008, the Portland Trail Blazers petitioned the NBA and the NBA Players Association to provide an independent doctor to decide if Miles would be able to play again.[5] Following the examination, it was determined that the damage to Miles' knee was severe enough to be classified as career-ending, prompting the Blazers to request waivers for his release on April 14, 2008.

Quick, Jason (2008-03-18 ). "Miles' future with Blazers up in air". OregonLive.com. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.

how does that prove nothing shady went on?

false insurance claims are ruled on by independant doctos too. not all doctors are paragons of virtue who are imunne to a "commision" once on site.

regardless, the blazers have been scum bags in regards to this incident, from trying to claim him to bench him and then when that didn't work making baseless threats to try to ruin his future NBA career, so ya know what;

Chickens come home to roost portland, captain mal approves of your new salary cap issues.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

"Yes, yes it is."

Wow, you too bdm860? Ok... So the NBA is corrupt guys?

I'm not saying the NBA is corrupt, just the Blazers  ;)
...and Tim Donaghy, the refs (especially if you ask Tommy), and David Stern (Ewing to the Knicks in '85, so rigged)  ;D

Quick, Jason (2008-03-18 ). "Miles' future with Blazers up in air". OregonLive.com. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.

That comes off better if the Blazers didn't hand pick the doctor.  Good info, TP.

Just another conspiracy theory thought though.  Since when don't teams get second opinions?  If that doctor told the Blazers something other than what they wanted to hear, do you think they would have gotten a second opinion from someone else?  I hear of players getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on injuries all the time, why not get a second opinion on this? This isn't some simple, non-important thing, this is a serious multi-million dolloar situation, I think that warrants a second opinion just to be safe.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think as a nice joke the Grizzlies should have Miles go to the scorers table every few minutes, only to be called back after each dead ball.  Make the Blazers brass sweat it out.  Then finally crush there dreams.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
The Blazers should be ashamed of themselves for the memo to the league and the attempt to acquire miles off waivers to sit him to avoid the cap hit.

However, I don't have a problem with how they went about deeming Miles ineligible to play. One could argue the Celtics and this administration had a similar situation with Vin Baker.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Listening to sports radio here in Memphis last night was amusing. On one of the programs they were talking about threats the team has received from Portland fans if they play Miles tonight. One Portland fan actually threatened to go in the woods and fight a Grizzly bear (with his hands no less) to the death. He went on to say that the death of the bear, or himself, would be on Memphis' head. I was crying from laughing so hard at the thought of this idiot going into the woods to fight a Grizzly bear. The absurdity of it makes me think it had to be a joke, but apparently it was an actual threat sent to the Griz management.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I'm not saying the NBA is corrupt, just the Blazers  ;)
...and Tim Donaghy, the refs (especially if you ask Tommy), and David Stern (Ewing to the Knicks in '85, so rigged)  ;D

I concede to these points! the NBA is corrupt.  ;D