Author Topic: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league  (Read 9610 times)

Re: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
However, my point is more that although I personally think that the play was unnecessary and Rondo should have dribbled out, I also don't like the fact that Triano and some of his players are complaining about it on the media. I don't think that's the way you handle this kind situation; there are better ways of making your displeasure known to your opponent - as probably the Memphis players did. If a similar situation happens to the Celtics (being us the team dunked on) I hope Doc and the lads downplay the situation (publicly).
What the Celtics would do is probably pop the player next time they played at let him know. Perkins would do it. He's given Amare and Deron both hard hits after they went after a teammate. One of the reasons I love the guy, you have to have someone who's willing to do that if you're going to win in the NBA. Even with how its been toned down.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
http://www.nba.com/video/games/kings/2009/01/13/nba_orl_sac_0020800565_recap.nba/

Something else for Toroton fans to whine about.  They no longer have the record for most 3 pointers in a game.  I'm sure there are some articles out there criticizing the Magic for continuing to take 3's even though they had a 20+ point lead.  8)

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
The Raptors were trying to foul Ray Allen right before that so they have no one to blame but themselves.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Raptors were trying to foul Ray Allen right before that so they have no one to blame but themselves.

your right, if your doing a fullcourt press and are trying to get up and foul the ball carrier... we are supposed to try and get by! so what are we supposed to do just lay it in? the NBA is the most entertainment driven sport there is (besides the WWF)

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Jose calderon is one player in this league that i just can not stand.
Yeah, how about this Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. bag being in an ad in Spain pre-olympics with his hands to his eyes to make them slanted in reference to the Chinese.  I guess that is classy.  ::)

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
What about the hack-a-wallace at the end of the cleveland game? that was embarrassing and kinda bothered me, we were out of the game and for no reason other than doc being rattled/stunned at what he was watching started hack-a-ben...that was a low point...a half hearted dunk at the end of overtime when the raptors wont go away does not bother me whatsoever

I couldn't disagree more.  Fouling Wallace was a tactical decision that could very well have paid off if he hadn't somehow learned how to shoot free throws for one game.
It puts the onus on the player to make the free throws and the opposing coach on whether to leave the player in the game.
Popovich uses it all the time on poor free throw shooters and he's been known to use it in the 1st half of a game when things weren't going well for his team.
Hardly classless or embarrassing.  It's part of the game.
Players who don't want to be fouled on purpose should learn how to shoot free throws.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/01/13/8004531-sun.html

I'm definitely not surprised by this article last night, because it's just par for the course with the Raptors.  I've never seen a team whine as much as they have over the years.  They were actually upset Powe dunked the basketball at the end of the overtime.  This being at a time where if the Raptors had hit that 3 off the botched inbounds play, it would've been a one point game.  Also, after the Raptors sent it to overtime through a huge stroke of luck.

If this is any other situation, and the team is just brining the ball up the court when the game is in hand, they let the clock run out.  For crying out loud, Eddie House gave up a 24 second violation during game 6 of the finals rather than shoot it and try for a 40+ point win against the hated Lakers.

But there's a big difference between walking the ball up the court against a defense just waiting for the clock to run out, and getting the ball into the open floor after a mad dash for possession.  I'm not saying Rondo was fearful that they could've lost the game if he didn't go for the score, but this the NBA is entertainment, and when you've got a situation like that, 9 times out of 10 the team is gonna go in for a nice dunk.

For such a nothing franchise and a group of players/coaches who have done nothing in this league, to make mention of how badly the Boston Celtics organization is run is absolutely pathetic.

the raptors are the san deigo chargers of the NBA. always told how good they are and convinced that every other team is less classy than they are. They belive thier god's gift to the league and can't understand why no one see's how great they are.

Yet they never win anything, and gripe constanily about being disrespected.

My all time favroite charger "we're so much better than you" moment is right after the HGH suspension of harrision when some reporter set LT up. it went somethign like this;

reporter: so what do you think of the harrision news?

LT: its disapointing, but not suprising. i mean, look at the team culture. They belive in doing anything, legal or illegal to win.

Reporter: so your not suprised?

LT: not really, thats just another classes act. that kind of stuff has no place in our league, if you need to do that to play, you shouldn't.

Reporter: so, you must be pretty upset with your teamate shawn merriman as well?

LT: (Blank Stare) that was diffrent. way diffrent.

TP. Lights out LT.  :'(

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:47 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
0:05   Trevor Ariza personal foul (O.J. Mayo draws the foul)   
0:02   Marc Gasol lost ball (Kobe Bryant steals)
0:01   Kobe Bryant makes dunk   
0:00   End of the 4th Quarter
0:00   End Game

It was a very similar situation (the score was 103-96 before that last second dunk).

I remember some fans making some noise about this - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/96130-kobe-bryants-unecessary-finish

; but I didn't find any mention on the Memphis press, nor comments from the Memphis players:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/dec/22/lakers-and-pau-drop-grizzlies-105-96/

The thing is that Kobe raced down the floor to get that Dunk. What Rondo & Powe did was basically just an after thought play. He was there by himself, and Powe was running full speed and he just bounced off the floor and Powe finished. They were way to open right under the basket. It was kind of like Rondo looked at Powe and they both were thinking "hey! Why Not? It is right there".

Well, it wasn't exactly equal, but still a very similar situation.

However, my point is more that although I personally think that the play was unnecessary and Rondo should have dribbled out, I also don't like the fact that Triano and some of his players are complaining about it on the media. I don't think that's the way you handle this kind situation; there are better ways of making your displeasure known to your opponent - as probably the Memphis players did. If a similar situation happens to the Celtics (being us the team dunked on) I hope Doc and the lads downplay the situation (publicly).

I think Triano's job is to make sure his team isn't in this position at the end of a game. In other words he should stop complaining and coach them better.
I see no problem with the play in question. I never saw Toronto wave a white flag.