Author Topic: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league  (Read 9601 times)

The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/01/13/8004531-sun.html

I'm definitely not surprised by this article last night, because it's just par for the course with the Raptors.  I've never seen a team whine as much as they have over the years.  They were actually upset Powe dunked the basketball at the end of the overtime.  This being at a time where if the Raptors had hit that 3 off the botched inbounds play, it would've been a one point game.  Also, after the Raptors sent it to overtime through a huge stroke of luck.

If this is any other situation, and the team is just brining the ball up the court when the game is in hand, they let the clock run out.  For crying out loud, Eddie House gave up a 24 second violation during game 6 of the finals rather than shoot it and try for a 40+ point win against the hated Lakers.

But there's a big difference between walking the ball up the court against a defense just waiting for the clock to run out, and getting the ball into the open floor after a mad dash for possession.  I'm not saying Rondo was fearful that they could've lost the game if he didn't go for the score, but this the NBA is entertainment, and when you've got a situation like that, 9 times out of 10 the team is gonna go in for a nice dunk.

For such a nothing franchise and a group of players/coaches who have done nothing in this league, to make mention of how badly the Boston Celtics organization is run is absolutely pathetic.

Re: The Raptors are the biggest cry babies in the league
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
To be honest with you, we shouldn't have done it. Now, I think its silly for them to be mad over it but the game was over and none of the Raptors were trying to foul. Rondo should have never passed that ball to Powe, he should have just dribbled it out. Thats why Toronto called that timeout after, they were p---ed and wanted to extend the game even further after we did that.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Wow...I could tell they were upset because of that timeout, but really? the celtics are a classless organazation because powe dunked the ball at the end of overtime? LOL, the raptors were trying to foul before that dunk to extend the game were they not? pathetic losers
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

• Don Chaney
Wow...I could tell they were upset because of that timeout, but really? the celtics are a classless organazation because powe dunked the ball at the end of overtime? LOL, the raptors were trying to foul before that dunk to extend the game were they not? pathetic losers

They made an effort to foul at first but gave up long before the foul. I wouldn't call the team classless because of it but we honestly would have been better off not doing it, we get enoug bad press as it is.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/01/13/8004531-sun.html

I'm definitely not surprised by this article last night, because it's just par for the course with the Raptors.  I've never seen a team whine as much as they have over the years.  They were actually upset Powe dunked the basketball at the end of the overtime.  This being at a time where if the Raptors had hit that 3 off the botched inbounds play, it would've been a one point game.  Also, after the Raptors sent it to overtime through a huge stroke of luck.

If this is any other situation, and the team is just brining the ball up the court when the game is in hand, they let the clock run out.  For crying out loud, Eddie House gave up a 24 second violation during game 6 of the finals rather than shoot it and try for a 40+ point win against the hated Lakers.

But there's a big difference between walking the ball up the court against a defense just waiting for the clock to run out, and getting the ball into the open floor after a mad dash for possession.  I'm not saying Rondo was fearful that they could've lost the game if he didn't go for the score, but this the NBA is entertainment, and when you've got a situation like that, 9 times out of 10 the team is gonna go in for a nice dunk.

For such a nothing franchise and a group of players/coaches who have done nothing in this league, to make mention of how badly the Boston Celtics organization is run is absolutely pathetic.

the raptors are the san deigo chargers of the NBA. always told how good they are and convinced that every other team is less classy than they are. They belive thier god's gift to the league and can't understand why no one see's how great they are.

Yet they never win anything, and gripe constanily about being disrespected.

My all time favroite charger "we're so much better than you" moment is right after the HGH suspension of harrision when some reporter set LT up. it went somethign like this;

reporter: so what do you think of the harrision news?

LT: its disapointing, but not suprising. i mean, look at the team culture. They belive in doing anything, legal or illegal to win.

Reporter: so your not suprised?

LT: not really, thats just another classes act. that kind of stuff has no place in our league, if you need to do that to play, you shouldn't.

Reporter: so, you must be pretty upset with your teamate shawn merriman as well?

LT: (Blank Stare) that was diffrent. way diffrent.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »

• Don Chaney

They made an effort to foul at first but gave up long before the foul. I wouldn't call the team classless because of it but we honestly would have been better off not doing it, we get enoug bad press as it is.

Yeah, the bad press isnt something I like, but really it was two young players, I think the raptors should actually be fined for taking a shot at the whole organaztion because of an end of the game dunk...I mean not even the lakers complained when tony allen had the reverse alley oop dunk at the end of game 6 in the finals after we were up 30+, im sure it bothered them, but not even they whined about it, the raptors are chumps and kris humphries should be sucker-punched
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Yeah, the bad press isnt something I like, but really it was two young players, I think the raptors should actually be fined for taking a shot at the whole organaztion because of an end of the game dunk...I mean not even the lakers complained when tony allen had the reverse alley oop dunk at the end of game 6 in the finals after we were up 30+, im sure it bothered them, but not even they whined about it, the raptors are chumps and kris humphries should be sucker-punched

I really don't think we can avoid bad press. Boston= The new hated city, taking over from NYC.

If you look at the coverage we get, its mostly negitive, because 75% of the population is in "I HATE BOSTON SPORTS" mode, and sports reporting is a buisness.

Even the bruins are getting bad press now, with an article a few weeks ago questioning if thier hard hitting style is cheap. I've seen that team a few times, and hier is nothing cheap or classless about them.

Right now, boston athlete = hated.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »

• Don Chaney

I'm with you on that one.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff

The Celtics will get bad press no matter what because they're the Celtics.  All outside media, and even some local media, hate the Celtics, and they'll find any way to discredit them.

I'm sure the Raptor players didn't bring that instance up on their own, but it's still weak of them to talk in that manner.

Everyone likes to talk about how classless the Celtics are, but have you ever seen any of the Celtics players quoted as talking badly about an opponent or an opposing player?  No.  It's always other teams talking about them.

I don't care what goes on during the game.  It's competition and in the heat of the moment, players say things and talk trash.  That's part of the game.  But once the games over and the players have a chance to cool down, the Celtics are always the first to praise their opponents, and the opponents are alway the first to deflect attention from there loss and trash the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »

• Don Chaney
What about the hack-a-wallace at the end of the cleveland game? that was embarrassing and kinda bothered me, we were out of the game and for no reason other than doc being rattled/stunned at what he was watching started hack-a-ben...that was a low point...a half hearted dunk at the end of overtime when the raptors wont go away does not bother me whatsoever

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hey, Let's get Gerald Green back so that he can throw an in our face dunk against them the next time we have garbage time vs. the Raps (most of you will know what I am talking about). How 'bout dem apples??

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
Hey, Let's get Gerald Green back so that he can throw an in our face dunk against them the next time we have garbage time vs. the Raps (most of you will know what I am talking about). How 'bout dem apples??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA0MzI-xw3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsnEWeFbiNo&feature=related

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sweeping the Raptors will be one of the highlights of the season for me.  I can't help but feel like their fan base is full of annoying whining nits.  Beating that team and watching those ninny's squirm is a joy.  Just a joy.

I'm not very fond of Laker fans, either.  Obviously.  But I would have hated the Lakers regardless...

The only other fan base that has negatively impacted my perception of a team is the Portland Trailblazers.  I came into this season expecting to follow that team.  What's not to like about them, right?  Plus... I live in Seattle and they are now broadcasting their games for us locally.  But I've since been incredibly turned off by their whiney, grating little punk of a crybaby fanbase and have zero interest in following that team anymore.  Add to that their ghastly announcing team (one of them has a "blakey" festish) and their organization's recent threats regarding Miles... that team is dead to me.

It's rare that I want a team to get destroyed just to tick off a group of fans. 

Interesting how that works.  I jump with giddy excitement every time something negative happens to the Raptors or Blazers.   Oddly enough, the best team in the league just whooped us (the Cavs) and yet I still have very little negative to say about them.  Kudos to LeBron-nation.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I kinda agree with the Raptors that it wasn't the nicest thing to do in the world but then again if their coached called a timeout with one second left on the clock down 6. What the heck was that? Was Triano going to write up a 7 point play to win the game with one second left? They gave two young players that should have known better but made a young player's mistake the opportunity to do this. They have no one to blame but themselves.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
Anyone see that gang sign flashed by the Raps player in the first video of GG dunking  ;)