Author Topic: Is hometown advantage with super max deals going to hinder them instead?  (Read 820 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
We just saw it happen with the Kings.

Kings didn't want to give Cousins the super max

Cousin and his agent wanted it so came out and said he wouldn't agree to an extension with any team.

His trade value goes down to a  few teams possibly willing to take the risk.

Kings have to take a crap sandwhich back.

I know its the kings, but I feel this could actually hurt teams its trying to give an advantage to for retaining their star players, or at least getting something of value back in a trade.

Re: Is hometown advantage with super max deals going to hinder them instead?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Cousin and his agent wanted it so came out and said he wouldn't agree to an extension with any team.

I know its the kings, but I feel this could actually hurt teams its trying to give an advantage to for retaining their star players.

The Kings (well, Ranadive) didn't think it was a crap sandwich, though.  I'd compare it more to a spaghetti and ranch sandwich, with Ranadive having the same taste in sandwiches as Rozier.  Every other living human thinks knows that they got a horrible return, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I know its the kings, but I feel this could actually hurt teams its trying to give an advantage to for retaining their star players, or at least getting something of value back in a trade.

Two things:

1) Do you know that in bold for sure?
2) I agree that supermax's are stupid... I'm not sure how they will interact with the Cap, but you cannot win now without a big three. Those days are GONE.

If one guy takes the max it KILLS any opportunities to look for FA help, I can't believe that any player would want it if it bears a real risk of hurting their chances of winning a ring (or two).
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's fantastic for top-tier players like Curry, Kawhi, Davis, etc and their teams, but crazier things have happened than a player like Hayward making 3rd team All-NBA in his contract year. Will Utah want to commit over $40M/yr to him if that happens? Honestly, it should probably just be adjusted to 1st or 2nd team All-NBA to ensure that only the best of the best get the supermax.

I know this doesn't change much in the Cousins situation, but it's somewhat rare that somebody with his talent and production has such an attitude problem that his current team wouldn't want to keep him. Also, Divac can backtrack all he wants, but there is no way that is the tippity-top deal they could have gotten for him.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If it was going to hinder them, they wouldn't have worked so hard to get it.  You can't beg for something then complain that it hurts you.

In certain specific cases if they exercise it with stupidity, sure it could hinder them.  But they don't *have* to offer the super max.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur