Author Topic: Looks like Pacquiao/Marquez another classic  (Read 5783 times)

Looks like Pacquiao/Marquez another classic
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I didn't see the fight. I wanted to order it but way to much money. I followed it on ESPN and it sounds like it was AWESOME!!!!!

Pacquiao in majority decision but it sounds like the media had it WAY closer.

Of course, this is boxing and Pacquiao/Mayweather has way too much money riding on it for Pacquiao to lose by decision to Marquez so I guess this should have been expected.

Re: Looks like Pacquiao/Marquez another classic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:40:49 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
When i looked though the fight as it happend, it seemed as though Marquez got outright robbed in this fight and it seems to be the consensus among everyone i've heared talk about the fight that isnt part of the major sports outlets (eg. ESPN, HBO ect.)

Its incredibly hard to score a fight like this but im quite certain about the fact that Marquez won it, i can't believe that one judge actualy scored it 116-112 with the last round to Marquez.

Marquez boxed a perfect gameplan (the fight wasnt perfect, but the gameplan was utterly perfectly tailor made to Pacman) he got tired at the end of the fight but that was to expected of a 38year old fighter but it was to me, very mindblowing that PacMan was soo passive as he was.. he never really got going until the last 2-3 rounds and by then on my scorecard it was way to late and i speculate it wasnt by design, every time that manny went in he got clocked by a Marquez counterpunch .. every single Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n time he tried.

Alot of talk about all the improvements that Manny was supposed to have had since last fight with Marquez but it looked like Marquez was the one who came out of the fight looking like the better boxer.

And forget all about the Manny P vs Mayweather fight happening any time soon, there is no way that Bob Arum makes that fight happen after what he saw in the ring today, Manny got completly outboxed by comparison a inferior boxer (Mayweather v/ Marquez) in Marquez, im quite sure that the entire boxing world also thinks that Mayweather would destoy him.

Styles makes fights and tonight Manny didnt bring his. i thought it was a disapointment.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Compu Box gave Pac Man a slight edge in power punches and over all landed punches.

Here are the results:

In the final statistics, it shows that Pacquiao threw more shots (578) than Marquez (435).

Pacquiao connected with 176 punches (30%), while Marquez landed 138 (32%).

The jabs thrown favors Pacquiao, who connected with 59 of 304 jabs thrown, while Marquez connected with 38 of 182 jabs thrown.

Marquez was more efficient, however, connecting 21% of his jabs while Pacquiao connected 19%.

Pacquiao has the lead in power punches, connecting on 117 of 274 attempts or 43%, while Marquez connected on 100 of 254 power punches thrown or 39%.

Per round, Pacquiao threw 49 punches and landed 14, while Marquez threw 36 punches and landed 11.

While he landed fewer shots, Marquez was able to rattle Pacquiao with strong shots to the body in the middle rounds.

Nonetheless, Pacquiao eked out a majority decision win over Marquez in their trilogy bout, with judges scoring the bout 114-114, 115-113 and 116-112.

Pacquiao's coach, Freddie Roach, said the third fight may be the closest in the trilogy.

"Manny won the last two rounds, and I thought it was going to end up a draw," he said.

Although Pacquiao threw and landed more shots, Marquez and his team felt they deserved the victory as they landed the cleaner punches.

"We won. Three people there didn't see the same thing," a dejected Marquez said afterward.

His coach, Nacho Beristain, said the result was "utmost robbery," and called the result "a joke."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/11/13/11/compubox-shows-pacquiao-landed-more-shots

Here was the scoring and no judge sided for Marquez though one had it as a draw:

One ringside judge had it a 114-114 draw, while two others favored Pacquiao by 115-113 and 116-112. The Associated Press had it 114-114.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7228745/manny-pacquiao-escapes-decision-juan-manuel-marquez

It was a close fight and both men came to fight.  It was a classic.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
A buddy & I ordered the fight last night so we were able to watch it as it unfolded.  

It was tight.  I had it Pacquiao 7 rounds to 5.  Although, a couple of the rounds could easily have gone either way.  Rounds 1 and 12 come to mind immediately.  

Best round of the fight was the 9th.  Just an epic round.  Lots of action.  

I thought Marquez got too conservative in the 11th & 12th rounds.  It was noted during the telecast and post-fight, that Marquez' corner was telling him that he had the fight won after the 10th.  He certainly boxed the final 2 rounds like he thought he had the fight won.  That was a crucial error by his corner if true.  That fight was waaaay too close to call after the 10th and his corner should've known that if it wasn't clear cut, it was going to be extremely tough for him to win by decision.  

I can certainly see how that fight could be called anywhere from a draw to Pacquiao winning 116-112 or Marquez winning 115-113.  It was that close.  

One last thing, if Pacquiao fights Mayweather like he faught last night, he'll get killed.  Not his best fight although, aesthetically, I thought it was a great fight to watch.  Very "thinking man's" fight.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Manny did not do that well at all.  I agree if Mayweather counterpunched like Marquez he could dismantle Pacquiao.  I was wrong about saying Manny would own him earler.   I still want to see them fight and blame the Floyd camp for fight dodging but I am not sure at all that PacMan could beat him after this fight.  In fact, I concur he would lose.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Manny did not do that well at all.  I agree if Mayweather counterpunched like Marquez he could dismantle Pacquiao.  I was wrong about saying Manny would own him earler.   I still want to see them fight and blame the Floyd camp for fight dodging but I am not sure at all that PacMan could beat him after this fight.  In fact, I concur he would lose.

If you all heard Bob Arum during the post fight, the superfight with Mayweather will not happen in May. He is already pushing for Pacquiao to fight Marquez a fourth time. We need to stop putting the pressure on Mayweather, and put it on Arum. He is the one hindering the fight from happening. Manny is Top Rank's cash cow and that's why he's been handled with kid's gloves with cherry picked opponents at rediculous catch weights. I have been saying this all along that Uncle Bob is the problem, not Floyd, but after last nights fight I am 100% convinced of this.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think Pacquiao's victory is only another marketing people to hype the fight between him and Mayweather even more...

and watch that fight next May be over in like half an hour or less...

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I have been saying this all along that Uncle Bob is the problem, not Floyd, but after last nights fight I am 100% convinced of this.

You may believe that but it is not true.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/04/08/11/mayweather-offered-50m-still-refuses-pacquiao-fight

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/28/11/arum-floyd-refused-offer-fight-pacquiao-singapore

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
In every single channel i watch the fight they have it for Marquez and everybody is claimming robbery.
Maybe its just because they were all mexican channels. lol

IMHO MArquez did a great fight and deserved to win , but against a champion is almost imposible to win via deistion
specially when Pacman actually had a very good round of late rounders
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think the odds of a fourth fight are good.   In some ways, I would rather see that than Mayweather.   These two guys match up well.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
After re-watching the fight again, i dont actualy have that big of a problem with the outcome.

Manny was the aggresor for most of the fight and i think that played a huge part of why he got the decision win over marquez, i even looked though some of Mayweahter's recent 12 rnd fights and being the defensive boxer you really have to make up alot of ground to take the decision away from an oponent that comes forward alot and i dont believe marquez did that in this fight.

But again defense does count in round scoring, or so says Howard Lederman..

Its funny how watching the fight without a huge amount of alchohol in your system changes your views.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
After re-watching the fight again, i dont actualy have that big of a problem with the outcome.

Manny was the aggresor for most of the fight and i think that played a huge part of why he got the decision win over marquez, i even looked though some of Mayweahter's recent 12 rnd fights and being the defensive boxer you really have to make up alot of ground to take the decision away from an oponent that comes forward alot and i dont believe marquez did that in this fight.

Its funny how watching the fight without a huge amount of alchohol in your system changes your views.

After watching it again, did you get the sense that Marquez got too tentative/conservative in rounds 11 & 12?  Fighting like he thought he had the fight won?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

After watching it again, did you get the sense that Marquez got too tentative/conservative in rounds 11 & 12?  Fighting like he thought he had the fight won?

I do
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Didn't watch the fight, but I might have to check it out on HBO this weekend as it sounds like it was a good one. 

I've said for years I thought Mayweather would destroy Pacquiao.  He is bigger, stronger, and is quite frankly just a flat out better boxer. 

Mayweather may be a bit boring, but he is the best boxer of at least the last 30 years and maybe ever, and I don't think it is really that close.

Bob Arum has lied about the negotiations a bunch of times, which has been confirmed by people not affiliated with Mayweather at all.  Anything Arum says I take with a total grain of salt.  The man just doesn't tell the truth where Manny v. Floyd is concerned because quite frankly he knows that Floyd will win and it will destroy his cash cow so he does whatever he can to avoid making the fight and put the blame on at Floyd's feet.  Manny or his camp is the reason the fight hasn't occurred not Floyd and his.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip