Author Topic: Novak Djokovic playing best tennis ever?  (Read 3930 times)

Novak Djokovic playing best tennis ever?
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
He is nearing McEnroe's record of 42 straight to begin a season and the way he is playing he will blow it out of the water.  He just swept Nadal in the final of Italian Open (a tourney Nadal has won 5 times) and the week before he beat Nadal in the final of the Spanish tourney.  Two straight victories on clay and four total in the streak against the world's #1 (though not for long at this rate).  I haven't seen any male play tennis like this ever (I didn't really start watching tennis till the 90's).  He is more dominant right now then Federer and Sampras ever were.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:38:09 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Novak Djokovic 37-0 to start the year
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
He is more dominant right now then Federer and Sampras ever were.

No he's really not. The beauty of Federer's dominance (less so for Pete) was their sustained consistency over time and surface and in the slams. Djokovic had a great run on his best surfaces. I'll wait till I see what he does during grass and the summer hardcourt season and if he wins another slam this year before considering him the same class.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

No he's really not. The beauty of Federer's dominance (less so for Pete) was their sustained consistency over time and surface and in the slams. Djokovic had a great run on his best surfaces. I'll wait till I see what he does during grass and the summer hardcourt season and if he wins another slam this year before considering him the same class.
Um he won the Australian Open which is a hard court and it was the middle of summer there.  And since when is clay his best surface. 

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

Um he won the Australian Open which is a hard court and it was the middle of summer there.  And since when is clay his best surface.  

I was talking about the US summer hardcourts which play faster than the ones in Australia. I think he's better on the slower hardcourts. Well clay is his 2nd best surface so I'd say those slow hards are his best.

I'm not diminishing his accomplishments he had an incredible streak  but I don't think he was anywhere near as dominant as Federer who was consistently great year round and winning 3 slams for multiple seasons. Like I said the rest of the season will determine how I assess his dominance relative to what others have done.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:10:42 PM by twinbree »
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
well still just the 1 loss on the year to Federer in the French Semis.  Complete domination of Nadal in the Wimbledon Final.  Amazing.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
After his 5th Masters win (a record) and 9th title on the year on Monday, Djokovic improved to 53-1.  He has won his first matche in Cincinnati to improve to 54-1.  He won't catch Vila's record of 16 titles, but could easily pass McEnroe's 1984 season for the best win percentage all time.  John was 82-3 that year for 96.5%.

Just too bad Federer beat him in France.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
A shoulder injury forced a retirement in the final at Cincinnati, dropping Djokovic to 57-2 on the year.  Hopefully the injury isn't serious or lingers.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
What a comeback by Novak today.  Down two sets, comes back to win the third and fourth easily and then is down 5-3 in the fifth set with Roger serving at 40-15.  Fights off the 2 match points to break back on serve and breaks Roger's will to win the set 7-5 to advance to the final. 

Re: Novak Djokovic playing best tennis ever?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Domination of Nadal to win his third grand slam this year and improve to 64-2 on the year.