Author Topic: Is Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, and Lebron the same guy? I think they are.  (Read 17791 times)

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Farve and Manning at least have won championships, LeBron hasn't even won a game in a Finals series.

Incorrect.  Desmond Howard won a championship, Brett Favre was just on his team.  Also Rex Grossman lost a championship.  Manning just happened to be on the other team.

Both are chokers.  I'm sad I can no longer have Arod in this club.  Although pre-last year, Arod would have been the perfect analogy to Lebron...

Re: Is Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, and Lebron the same guy? I think they are.
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This was a good thread back in the day. Stuff has happened since then. Tiger is awful now. Manning is hurt. Farve added to his legend of jokeness.

At any rate this is Farve's new comments on Aaron Rodgers

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Favre-on-Rodgers-8216-He-fell-into-a-good-sit?urn=nfl-wp8696

"I'm going to be honest, I was not surprised. The biggest surprise to me would be that he didn't do it sooner. My last year in Green Bay prior to the first game, I made the remark that this was probably the most talented team that I've ever played on. And of course everyone looked up and was like, 'This guy's off his rocker.'
"We were very, very young; take me out of the mix and we were by far the youngest team in the league. But I could see the talent pool across the board was outstanding. Now our season kind of ended up being a reflection of that. We came close, and I think we took a lot of people by surprise, but guys emerged rather quickly. Aaron had a chance…even though the last couple years it's seemed like he's almost a rookie, he's been around awhile. And I'd like to think that he watched, he learned, and then when he got a chance to play, he brought in his ability which is obviously very good or they wouldn't have drafted him in the first round. He's got tremendous talent, he's very bright and he got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right.
"And so, he just kind of fell into a good situation. On top of that, he's a good player. I don't think there's any pressure on him now, the talent around him is even better than when I was there. So I'm really kind of surprised it took him so long. In the early part of last year season, it hadn't quite clicked yet and I didn't know it would. I just kind of figured when they hit their stride, they're going to be hard to beat. And that's what happened."

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Quick. How many hall of famers in these videos?  Warning. Second one makes many references to the Jen Sterger thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDYI8VQNcs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NomDl8DIE

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ludricous  as LeBron is Dominque Wilkins with some passing ability.  I predict he will win as many titles as Nique without someone winning it for him.

Manning clearly lifts his team up and is a MVP.   What seperates him from LeBron is that he has won at some level when it mattered.   Favre is tougher than LeBron I suspect.   I don't get the impression LeBron loves "basketball", I think it's a means to an end for him.   It has made him wealthy.   I think Favre actually loved laced em up.  Neither of these guys ever quit they are still trying even when they are down.   You can't say that of Mr. James. 

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
no one ever wants to mention it, but lebron has never improved his game..the guy is the same exact player that he was when he entered the league.

hes not a great shooter(although sometimes he can get streaky and hit everything) his post game is nonexistant, and hes prone to miss free throws..the only thing he rests on is his freakish athleticism to drive and mug his defender to either get a layup or a foul call

most players you see improvement in aspects of their game year to year...you look at derrick rose and how he improved his shooting and aspects of his game from last year to this year. you look at rondo from when he came in as a rookie to now and you see an improved player..even d.howard you saw come back last year with new and improved post game

with lebron, i dont see that at all. I dont think the guy works very hard in the offseason on improving his game and is just apt to sit with where he's at...

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
To compare Favre to Lebron based on "having it handed to them", makes no sense.  Favre never had anything handed to him.  He came into the league as a relative nobody.  A year later he got traded for a pick.  When he got to Green Bay, he wasn't even the starting QB.  He had to earn that.  Then he went from 1992 when he got his first start, to 2007 without missing a single start. 

You can hype up the media drama at the very end of his career all day, but that doesnt change the fact that Favre was an absolute warrior, and the heart of his team for over a decade.  When things got rough...he didn't leave. He stayed with the same team for 15 years. 15 years!  I understand we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society, but taking the last 3-4 years of media circus, and using them as the standard for Favres career is ridiculous.

Most importantly though, he's a winner.  You can say Desmond Howard won that Super Bowl for them, but Favre had a great game as well passing for 2 TDs, and running for another.  He certainly didn't choke in that game, and has never been known as a choker in general.  He just plays a very loose style of football, that leads to as many breakdowns, as it does amazing plays (such as the 81 yard TD pass he had in the super bowl).

As professionals they couldn't be more different, and I don't think anyone here should be judging or comparing either as people. 

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
In the past three posts people said Farve never quit, was a warrior, never had anything handed to him, and wasn't known as a choker. Really? Really?

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 03:33:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has far less quit in him than LeBron.  The gunslinger usually went down gunning for a interception. 

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I didn't see the get up and go when he was cutting his lawn and plucking the petals off flowers saying "will I pla?. Will I not play?" in Mississip while everyone else was working hard. I saw the quit when he laid down so Strahan could get the sack record and then he had to add some insult to our faces when he said he didn't lay down.

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Did you just argue that Tiger has been anointed by the media? 
Sort of. I admit my argument is weakest there.  He is essentially a top 5 (possibly top 1) golfer.

But I would definitely say he had a big following before he won much and was a mega star after one big performance (albeit one of the biggest performances on one of the biggest stages ever).

But I would definitely say this. The man is disgraced. Phil Mickelson just won. Again.

Yeah, Phil always seems to do pretty well.... when Tiger isn't playing.

Sorry, I just don't think Tiger is overrated in the same way that Favre and LBJ are.  Tiger in the Top 5 golfers?  I'd put him in the category of Top 5 athletes.  The guy is a competitor, and knows how to win.
Tiger was playing last month.  Oh right. His own actions led to him playing poorly. I put that excuse right up there with "My little dawg died and therefore my swing was affected."

Tiger didn't play in the 2004 and 06 Masters?

Tiger is simply the best golfer playing, and one of the best golfers ever (probably top two, and maybe the best).  The "Tiger slam" and 14 majors wins pretty much erase any doubts about how good the guy is.  He's a scumbag of a husband, but an amazing golfer.
I agree with you that Tiger, especially pre-scumbaginess, had totally earned everything he had, but the worship started well before that.

Also I still see Jordan ads all the time. I'm seeing Joe Montana ads. I've seen two ads with Dr. J since his retirement. Saw one with Larry Bird during the Super Bowl

Where are the Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer ads? I've seen about 12 million Tiger ads and not one of these guys. Is Tiger that much better than these guys.

The same thing happens in tennis. I've seen about a million Sharapova, Williams sisters, and Agasi ads, and not one Federer or Sampras. I guess I see McEnroe. No Connors.

I'm just getting tired of not having to be the best to be hyped and appointed.

I think there's also been one or two attempts to pre hype a guy and set them up for hype, then when they failed the hype machine pulled out asap.  I think Felipe Lopez and Sebastian Telfair and definitely Greg Oden were on that list.

Marketing Team:  Hey, we can either do an ad with the best player in the world, with a bigger fanbase, or we can do an ad with a pretty good player, but not as well known, to try and sell our new shoes... What do you think?

When you think of it from a marketing perspective, honestly, what do you expect?

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
I didn't see the get up and go when he was cutting his lawn and plucking the petals off flowers saying "will I pla?. Will I not play?" in Mississip while everyone else was working hard. I saw the quit when he laid down so Strahan could get the sack record and then he had to add some insult to our faces when he said he didn't lay down.

I don't see how anyone could bring that play up as a negative against Favre.  It's not as if what he did changed the game or hurt his team.  He wasn't giving up anything.  If he didn't lay down, it's a non issue.  If he did, then it was a gesture that he made to acknowledge the career and achievement of another player (that he has no personal relation with). 

I guess you could look at it, and say it shouldn't be up to Favre to decide if Strahan deserves that record or not, but I think thats petty.  I honestly saw that play as a class act, and thought it was a shame that the media tried to twist it into something else.  There are always instances in every sport, where a player is on the brink of a big record, and the opposing players loosen up for a moment to allow that player to have their moment.  I think thats a good thing.

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's a good thing that players hand records to each other? What next? A little foot massage afterwards?

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
It's a good thing that players hand records to each other? What next? A little foot massage afterwards?

Like I said...you can come down on that play, by saying that it's not up to Favre to give Strahan the record, but even if he did, how does that speak poorly of Brett?  Whether you agree with the principles behind it or not, he didn't personally gain anything from it, and his team didn't suffer. Considering the alternatives (trying to throw out of it risking a penalty or INT and attempting to run risking a fumble or injury), it was a smart play as well.

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

Like I said...you can come down on that play, by saying that it's not up to Favre to give Strahan the record, but even if he did, how does that speak poorly of Brett?  Whether you agree with the principles behind it or not, he didn't personally gain anything from it, and his team didn't suffer. Considering the alternatives (trying to throw out of it risking a penalty or INT and attempting to run risking a fumble or injury), it was a smart play as well.

He was trying to get the record for most sacked QB.  It was all for personal gain.  Such a selfish person.

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Brett Farve made a smart play by NOT throwing an INT? I think you've got the wrong guy on this one.