Poll

Outside of the Celts, which Boston-area professional team do you most want to win a title?

Bruins
10 (32.3%)
Patriots
10 (32.3%)
Red Sox
4 (12.9%)
Revolution
3 (9.7%)
The Celts are the only Boston-area team I root for
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Outside of the Celts, which Boston-area team do you most want to win a title?  (Read 10222 times)

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
for me, it would be the pats. i love the sox, could not care less about nhl. but for the pats to win another title would be so important. we saw the 49ers win with montana in the early 80's, then seemingly it was over. but montana came back and won again, then they won again with steve young and seifert. that is an amazing run for that franchise. the pats have had some (for them) lean years in terms of winning a title, but to get back up and do it again when some have perhaps written them off, would be amazing.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Plus, Bruin fans are by far the most die-hard of the 4 Boston sports teams.

It'd be great to see things finally pay off for them.  My old Somerville roommate and one of my BC buddies are B's season ticket holders and the pride they take in that team is pretty enviable.  It'd be nice to have them celebrate a Stanley Cup title.

I don't know how you quantify die hard-edness, and I'm sure the B's have great fans, but to say they are more die hard than the other teams I think is incorrect.... I mean, just look at all the people who post on here throughout the day, everyday

I stand behind that statement 100%.  Out of the 4 Boston sports teams, there is not a more rapid fanbase than Bruins fans.  The loyalty those fans show through thick & thin is pretty admirable.

I know we can consider many people here diehards but I'm telling you, Bruins fans are on another level.  Every Boston team has their diehards, don't get me wrong.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
None.

I root for the Bears, Cubs, and Celtics.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

It'd be great to see things finally pay off for them.  My old Somerville roommate and one of my BC buddies are B's season ticket holders and the pride they take in that team is pretty enviable.  It'd be nice to have them celebrate a Stanley Cup title.

I don't know how you quantify die hard-edness, and I'm sure the B's have great fans, but to say they are more die hard than the other teams I think is incorrect.... I mean, just look at all the people who post on here throughout the day, everyday

Yeah I can't totally agree with the diehard Bruins fan comment either.

It is possible that the average Bruins fan is more die hard than the average C's, Pats, or Sox fans. But the 3 other teams have more die hard fans, i'm sure (along with tons of fair-weather or mid to mild interest fans). It has always been so rare for me to find a hockey fan - even though they are indeed passionate.

However all I need to do is literally open my eyes anywhere in New England and I'll find a passionate Sox Fan.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Boston RedSox. Outside of the Atlanta Braves, they are my favorite MLB team.

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The Patriots, because they're the Boston area team I care about most after the Celtics.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

When it comes to the Bruins, it would be cool for them to win for all the Bruin fans. Personally, I just don't have time for Hockey as their season clashes with the Celtics.

There is plenty, I mean plenty of enough time to watch both teams and follow both teams pretty intensely like I do.

It has always been so rare for me to find a hockey fan - even though they are indeed passionate.

What do you mean by a rare hockey fan, someone who only likes hockey?  Because I love I mean love hockey just like I love football, soccer, baseball, basketball, and wrestling (real wrestling not fake, hate that stuff) too.

Also the whole side of my dad's family loves hockey and the Bruins.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Yeah I can't totally agree with the diehard Bruins fan comment either.

It is possible that the average Bruins fan is more die hard than the average C's, Pats, or Sox fans. But the 3 other teams have more die hard fans, i'm sure (along with tons of fair-weather or mid to mild interest fans). It has always been so rare for me to find a hockey fan - even though they are indeed passionate.

However all I need to do is literally open my eyes anywhere in New England and I'll find a passionate Sox Fan.

Whoops, Don. After re-reading your post, I stand corrected.

"Plus, Bruin fans are by far the most die-hard of the 4 Boston sports teams."

Yes I agree. The Bruin fan base is much smaller then the others. But the average Bruin fan is indeed more passionate about their team and their sport. (The same goes for other Hockey teams). There are very few casual Hockey fans.  :)

Hockey more then many other sports has a line where you are in or you are out.

Football, Baseball and Basketball have a bigger die-hard fan base overall, but also have a ton more casual viewers. Thus making the average fan more average.

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free

I stand behind that statement 100%.  Out of the 4 Boston sports teams, there is not a more rapid fanbase than Bruins fans.  The loyalty those fans show through thick & thin is pretty admirable.

I know we can consider many people here diehards but I'm telling you, Bruins fans are on another level.  Every Boston team has their diehards, don't get me wrong.

I still don't see how you quantify that.  As another posted stated, Bruins fans are the rarest to find in the day to day.  What exactly makes them more rabid?  When the celtics stunk, the Garden was still averaging over 16,000 fans per game.  That's for ar 18,000 seat arena.  

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I still don't see how you quantify that.  As another posted stated, Bruins fans are the rarest to find in the day to day.  What exactly makes them more rabid?  When the celtics stunk, the Garden was still averaging over 16,000 fans per game.  That's for ar 18,000 seat arena.  

Just curious and I'm not trying to come across as talking down to you or anything but do you follow hockey? If so, to what extent? Have you ever attended a college hockey or NHL game in person?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Just from my own personal experience, die hard Celtics fans and die hard Bruins fans are pretty equal. But we are a small niche out of the Boston sports fans' landscape. Don is right when he says there are some Bruins fans that have deep and thick black and gold blood and they have been pretty bananas even during the bad years. But I have met an equal amount of Celtics fans that are the same way.

And Pats and Sox diehards seem to smoke us both in terms of quantity.

Only like the Celts, though. Just followed the teams my dad liked, and that unfortunately includes 2 Buffalo teams.  :P

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm rooting for the Bruins over all other Boston teams aside from the Cs. Their fans deserve it.

Pats are out since I have been a NYG fan since the 50s. They had the original New England football fan base before the Pats came in '60, I believe, because they were the only NFL team piped in on TV here. I couldn't change my loyalties then nor can I now. I grew up rooting for Grier, Gifford, Huff, Robustelli, Patton, Rote et al..

As far as baseball goes, I'm no longer much of a fan. McGwire/Sosa et al. and the leagues looking the other way has made the playing field uneven. They should legalize PEDs for all OR have a lifetime ban on anyone caught and develop a foolproof test for HGH. (NBA take a good look at Lebron)

As far as the Sox go, the dramas alluded to by Mr. O above as well as the whining and woe is me of the fans from the 60s to  to '04 added to the country club/plantation mentality cultivated by Yawkey and Theo's "I'm a god" attitude" have not endeared this team to me.

One last aside on the "great and generous" (my butt) but really disingenuous Mr. Yawkey and his "beloved" Jimmy Fund.
Yawkey turned down the Jimmy Fund, when first approached on the matter.The then Boston Braves gladly accepted and picked up the ball. It was only when the Braves left town that Yawkey HADto pick it up or he would have been exposed for the real chump that he was. Just a tidbit of Red Sox lore some of you might find intersting.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

There is plenty, I mean plenty of enough time to watch both teams and follow both teams pretty intensely like I do.

What do you mean by a rare hockey fan, someone who only likes hockey?  Because I love I mean love hockey just like I love football, soccer, baseball, basketball, and wrestling (real wrestling not fake, hate that stuff) too.

Also the whole side of my dad's family loves hockey and the Bruins.

Sure a person can watch tons of both Hockey and Basketball, if they are still a student, or aren't married, or dont' have kids. I have to pick and choose. And sometimes my work week goes for 50-60 hours.

At that point I can barely even catch as many Celtics games as I want. Not to mention MLB playoffs, NFL playoffs, the Basketball NCAA tournament. there's just not enough time for Hockey.

In my experience, most fans in their 30's and beyond (for the above reasons) have to pick and choose which teams they follow to a die-hard degree.

Mike-Dub, do you or your Dad live and die by each NE sports teams fate?

If so, thats cool. Sports in general is your ultimate passion then. Nothing wrong with that.

For me only Celtics Basketball gives me that much of a sports high or that much of a sports low. I'm still riding the high of the C's winning it all in 2008. When the Pats or the Sox win, it is a lot of fun, but the high passes within a few days.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was going to say BC football followed by basketball till I saw the word "professional"

I have to say Bruins since I've never seen it.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Patriots.  They are the only other team I care about.

I stopped watching hockey in the mid-70s after the B's traded my favorite player (Esposito), and I don't really like baseball or the Red Sox.  Can't explain why really, but this is how it is.  C's and Pats.