Author Topic: Is the 2000-2009 Boston professional sports decade the best for any city ever?  (Read 8804 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
LA is tough in the 60's and 70's (looking at the major sports, NBA, NFL, MLB, and NCAA football and basketball)

UCLA Basketball Champs:1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975 (with 88 straight games from 71-74)
USC Football Champs:1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978
LA Dodgers, Word Series Champs: 1963, 1965. NL Pennant: 1963, 1965, 1966 ,1974, 1977, 1978
LA Lakers, NBA Champs: 1972 (with a 33 game winning streak). Conference Champs: 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973,
LA Rams - NFC Champs, 1979, Won Division: 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This thread is about professional sports.

College and NCAA don't matter.

I wouldn't even include Boxing, Race car driving, or Golf....they aren't true sports.

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I wouldn't even include Boxing, Race car driving, or Golf....they aren't true sports.

Not sure I've disagreed with a post more in my recent memory...

And boxing not a true sport? hmmm...  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
"Most dominant season in golf history (2000, Tiger Woods, Cypress, California) and possibly decade (12 majors so far)."

Is Tiger affiliated with some L.A golf team we don't know about?  Or any city-based team in golf for that matter?  Does golf even have teams?

I don't understand your argument.
If you read my original post it was about professional sports based from a city. I didn't specifically say or mean team sports only and hence my Boston Marathon and Johnny Ruiz inclusions. Sorry if I wasn't 100% clear on that.

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Though I do disagree with the comment on boxing not being a true sport, I also disagree with that table from that link.  I do think boxing is one of the most difficult sports, no question.  If someone made me pick a #1 for that list, I really wouldn't know what to pick, but gymnastics over soccer and baseball?  In my opinion soccer belongs number 4 on that list.
do it

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Though I do disagree with the comment on boxing not being a true sport, I also disagree with that table from that link.  I do think boxing is one of the most difficult sports, no question.  If someone made me pick a #1 for that list, I really wouldn't know what to pick, but gymnastics over soccer and baseball?  In my opinion soccer belongs number 4 on that list.

I don't know... I picked up soccer, basketball, and baseball pretty easily as a kid.  But ask me to do a simple cartwheel and I look like an idiot.  I think the stuff that elite gymnasts do is absolutely more difficult all around that what MLB or soccer players do.  Obviously hitting a fastball or slider is exceedingly difficult, but the rest of the actions are things learned in teeball.  I know the elite gymnasts are all very young, but the amount of time they put in (often against their own wishes I think) is ridiculous.  I put figure skating above baseball/soccer as well.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker

And boxing not a true sport? hmmm...  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Beating people up and punching each other up should not be a sport.

Just like Fishing and Hunting should not be considered sports.

Chess is not a sport either.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
New Enlgand's dominance pails to where the power lies

Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Beating people up in a bar brawl?  Sure, that's not a sport.

Training for months, learning the style of an opponent, developing a strategy, and competing with a similar opponent in a controlled arena... yes, that is a sport. 

I am somewhat befuddled by people that think to be a sport you must be on a team and use a ball...

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Well I would have to say it is obviously the best decade for Boston all around if your just looking at the 4 major sports.  It followed a pretty bad decade with maybe the highlight being losing the Super Bowl in 97.  Hopefully we won't see a decade like that for a while.  Another good question would be "What is the best sports year for Boston?".  It would be tough to top 86 but maybe we will have a shot this year ;D

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well what if a city has only one pro sports team like the Buffalo Bills and then that team does really well. You could say they were 100% champions. 

Or it means you have to have 4 pro teams to qualify.

I guess you could say 100% of the pro teams in San Antonio did awesome during this decade.

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker

Beating people up in a bar brawl?  Sure, that's not a sport.

Training for months, learning the style of an opponent, developing a strategy, and competing with a similar opponent in a controlled arena... yes, that is a sport. 

I am somewhat befuddled by people that think to be a sport you must be on a team and use a ball...

Boxing is barbaric and should be outlawed.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Personally I'd rather see NASCAR outlawed. Burning all that fuel to see guys go around in circles is  poor use of resources

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well what if a city has only one pro sports team like the Buffalo Bills and then that team does really well. You could say they were 100% champions. 

Or it means you have to have 4 pro teams to qualify.

I guess you could say 100% of the pro teams in San Antonio did awesome during this decade.
Buffalo has two sports teams the Bills and the Sabres and neither has been a champion in the last 45 years and even then it was the Bills in the 10 team AFL. So the only time they were 100% champions was back in the 60's because I don't think the Sabres existed then.

Cities with less than 4 teams do qualify and have had great decades. Look at Oakland in the 70's. They had won 3 World Series, 1 Superbowl, and Golden State won an NBA title. Also, the A's were probably on of the most dominant teams of the 70's, the Raiders were a perennial power in the AFC, and Golden State had a bunch of good years. The never had a hockey team but that was a hell of a decade for the city of Oakland.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
You can pretty much pick any decade and New York will be up there.  Just take the 90's.

Knicks - didn't win a title, but went to at least the second round 9 of the 10 years, including two NBA finals trips

Yankees - won 3 world series

Giants - won 1 superbowl

Rangers - won 1 stanley cup

Mets, Jets, and Islanders had a few playoff seasons but were pretty weak for the most part

How about the 80's

Islanders - won 4 consecutive stanley cups, as well as lost their 5th trip and made two other division finals

Rangers - no stanley cup appearances but in the playoffs 9 of the 10 years

Jets - had a couple deep runs including a conference finals appearance

Giants - won 1 superbowl and had three other years with at least 1 playoff victory

Knicks - pretty lean in the 80's

Yankees - made a world series appearance and one other alcs appearance, though most of the decade was poor

Mets - won 1 world series and one other nlcs appearance
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip