Author Topic: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...  (Read 28859 times)

Re: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I got a stat for you.  In ten thousand years of usage, no one has ever died from Marijuana use.  Compared to people dropping dead everyday from alcohol use...

That's like saying that no one has ever died of cigarette use.  Smoke ingested while imbibing marijuana has many of the same carcinogenic substances as does cigarette smoke.  It can lead to lung cancer (which kills 125,000 people per year), emphysema, etc.  Marijuana users also have higher rates of cancers of the oral cavity, pharynx, and larynx.

Marijuana is also considered an immunosuppressant, making it harder for people to fight off disease and infection.

There are also a number of psychological / mental disorders associated with marijuana.

That's not to say that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or other drugs.  However, it's absolutely false to suggest that marijuana doesn't lead to death.

For more, see:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html
http://www.health.org, the homepage of the National Clearinghouse on Alcohol and Drug Information, for general information on marijuana.
http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm
http://life.familyeducation.com/substance-abuse/resource/29881.html

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:54:06 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Whoop de Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing do.

Smoking pot isn't really a big deal, anyone. It's pretty much been decriminalized in a good portion of the US, and Canada is getting pretty lenient, too. More so than the US, actually.

It's part of the culture these days and it's not gonna go away any time soon. The only people who still really seem to be against it's legalization in the first place are the conservative types who don't really know the facts and believe all the propaganda on the tv.

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
What an idiot.. his career just went down the toilet.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I hate pot, and I dislike people who use it since it's a vile moron creating drug. I've lost a few good friends who used to be respectable to that garbage. I will admit, it IS becoming more acceptable nowadays for people to use it, but that still does not change my opinion of it.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

For smoking grass?  LOL, it didn't seem to hurt Obama.

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This is such a minor thing and I don't care if he broke the law.  That law is a formality, such a high percentage of people smoke, even cops.  Cops don't even care if they catch you with a small amount of weed unless they want to bust your balls.  He didn't hurt anyone and if I were him, I would be upset that I didn't notice the person with the camera.
I havn't lost any respect for him or his hard work.  He won several medals in 2004 and 2008, and he's going to win several more in 2012.  And he's already made over $100 million in endorsements.  This was just a college age kid at a college party doing what other kids that age do.  If pictures were taken of the other 30 people that smoked from that bong that night, nobody would care.
This actually makes me appreciate Phelps more than I did before, because it shows me that he's a normal guy and not some swimming robot.

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

For smoking grass?  LOL, it didn't seem to hurt Obama.

Although one would argue that the cocaine did hurt Bush.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

That's not to say that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or other drugs.  However, it's absolutely false to suggest that marijuana doesn't lead to death.

Everything leads to death, Roy.  What exactly is your point?
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is a big who cares.

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Did you read the quote I was responding to?  Obviously not, based upon your response. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Did you read the quote I was responding to?  Obviously not, based upon your response. 

This thread is awesome  ::)

And has very little to do with Phelps anymore.

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

This thread is awesome  ::)

And has very little to do with Phelps anymore.

Yeah, agreed.  And yet pot heads wonder why they're not taken seriously.

As others have said, this thread has gone downhill and is going nowhere.  That's why we have a general prohibition of allowing discussion of legalizing drugs, and I think it's best we abide by that policy in the future.

Locked.