Author Topic: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...  (Read 28840 times)

Re: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Not sure what you do in your life, however no. I don't do these things. I don't intentionally try and "get away" with things if I can. Not how I choose to live my life. My character is worth more than a few dollars extra on these things you mentioned. Am I perfect, of course not. But I do try to follow the laws and expect others to do the same.

And I will argue over and over with you about drugs not effecting people. It is statistically and factually not correct. Trying to get kids to live their lives without feeling like they need to get a false sense of reality to escape should be a goal of everyone.

My morals are not at all at odds with anything. I know where I stand and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. So does everyone even if it isn't "convenient" for them always.

I sincerely doubt you've never speeded or done any of the other things on that list, but I'll take you for your word on it. 

As for drugs "not affecting people", I've never argued that for a second.  First, "drugs" is way too general - clearly harder drugs like crack, heroin, and meth do have significant negative effects.  And marijuana use does seem to slow some people down or sap their ambition, though that's correlational evidence at best and anecdotal at worst. 

But to say the statistical and factual evidence shows marijuana has strong negative effects, or that it's worse than tobacco or alcohol, is absolutely incorrect, because it's simply not there.  Multiple presidential commissions have shown it not to be the case and have been ignored - Google "Shafer Report" for more info. 

Pot has also been shown to not increase lung cancer risk, and possibly even to have a mild preventive effect:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html  - and this was a government-funded study that fully expected and sought to find increased risk.

There is also evidence that marijuana may actually prevent Alzheimer's http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm.  This is still in an early phase of research, however. 

The best negative finding you'll be able to track down on marijuana is some evidence of temporary short-term memory and attention deficits in extremely high (~20 joints per day) users.http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol11N3/MarijMemory.html

So, not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but I would really like to hear how you know personal marijuana consumption is morally wrong.  Bear in mind that "because it's illegal" isn't a sound response, because it's circular reasoning. 

Doubt all you want, but no intentionally speeding to try to get away with it or any other thing on that list. Sorry to disappoint you that not everyone is out there breaking the law like it sounds you must be.

DRUGS... ALL DRUGS cause people to make bad choices. This includes marijuana. There's a reason there is a term "pot-head". I have many friends in school that ended up later in life wasting away due to their constant need to get high. Trying to sell it as no big deal isn't true. It ALSO is against the law. That's what we are discussing here. People saying it is fine as long as they don't get caught. No wonder our morals as a nation are on the downturn.

yea our morals as a nation are going right down the drain because people think smoking pot is no big deal.

JFK THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES was a pill head. He was on all different kinds of drugs , he was having affairs left and right with Marilyn Monroe among many other famous women.

BILL CLINTON THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES admitted to smoking pot, and cheated on his wife with an intern.

George W. Bush THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES   was a drunk and a coke head when he was younger .

Micheal Phelps smoked weed ,get over it .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:29:02 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Guess what?   I care about him getting caught with weed just about as much as I care about some dude who swims fast.    Big whoop.  Phelps is boring.  If this destroys his career, so be it.

That's exactly how I feel.  I didn't care about him before and I still don't.  I do find it a little cool that Phelps smokes just because he didn't seem like that type of dude.  But other than that I really don't care.

[Just think of the quality weed KG is smoking making 24 million a year...you're in denial

HAHAHA   TP.  Thats the funniest thing I heard all day
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not sure what you do in your life, however no. I don't do these things. I don't intentionally try and "get away" with things if I can. Not how I choose to live my life. My character is worth more than a few dollars extra on these things you mentioned. Am I perfect, of course not. But I do try to follow the laws and expect others to do the same.

And I will argue over and over with you about drugs not effecting people. It is statistically and factually not correct. Trying to get kids to live their lives without feeling like they need to get a false sense of reality to escape should be a goal of everyone.

My morals are not at all at odds with anything. I know where I stand and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. So does everyone even if it isn't "convenient" for them always.

I sincerely doubt you've never speeded or done any of the other things on that list, but I'll take you for your word on it. 

As for drugs "not affecting people", I've never argued that for a second.  First, "drugs" is way too general - clearly harder drugs like crack, heroin, and meth do have significant negative effects.  And marijuana use does seem to slow some people down or sap their ambition, though that's correlational evidence at best and anecdotal at worst. 

But to say the statistical and factual evidence shows marijuana has strong negative effects, or that it's worse than tobacco or alcohol, is absolutely incorrect, because it's simply not there.  Multiple presidential commissions have shown it not to be the case and have been ignored - Google "Shafer Report" for more info. 

Pot has also been shown to not increase lung cancer risk, and possibly even to have a mild preventive effect:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html  - and this was a government-funded study that fully expected and sought to find increased risk.

There is also evidence that marijuana may actually prevent Alzheimer's http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm.  This is still in an early phase of research, however. 

The best negative finding you'll be able to track down on marijuana is some evidence of temporary short-term memory and attention deficits in extremely high (~20 joints per day) users.http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol11N3/MarijMemory.html

So, not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but I would really like to hear how you know personal marijuana consumption is morally wrong.  Bear in mind that "because it's illegal" isn't a sound response, because it's circular reasoning. 

Doubt all you want, but no intentionally speeding to try to get away with it or any other thing on that list. Sorry to disappoint you that not everyone is out there breaking the law like it sounds you must be.

DRUGS... ALL DRUGS cause people to make bad choices. This includes marijuana. There's a reason there is a term "pot-head". I have many friends in school that ended up later in life wasting away due to their constant need to get high. Trying to sell it as no big deal isn't true. It ALSO is against the law. That's what we are discussing here. People saying it is fine as long as they don't get caught. No wonder our morals as a nation are on the downturn.

And as far as the DUI thing goes. I am on record on here as saying that if a person commits a DUI then they should have their license removed. Permanently. Do it again and they are in jail for a long time. Go look back and see for yourself. I for one wouldn't keep a player on my team who committed a DUI for their reckless endangerment of others lives.

You said "statistical and factual" evidence.  I gave you some, now I'm waiting for yours.  Why, using statistical and factual evidence, is personal marijuana use immoral?

Because it is against the law. Plain and simple. If you don't think that breaking the law is immoral, and based on your examples and comments in multiple threads that is obviously the case, then why continue this discussion. I believe in following the law or changing them if I don't agree with them. You are in favor of doing what you want to do as long as it you aren't caught. That kind of ends the point of debating this.

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I've gotta agree with ejplaya. It's the law, there is no arguing that. You can debate the law, that's a different story.

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Guess what?   I care about him getting caught with weed just about as much as I care about some dude who swims fast.    Big whoop.  Phelps is boring.  If this destroys his career, so be it.

I'm with Bill Simmons on this.... the multiple swimming medals are ridiculous.  Who cares if the fastest swimmer can also swim backwards fast and swim the butterfly fast?  What's the point?  They don't have olympics events for running backwards or skipping... Simmons believed Usain Bolt was a more impressive athlete.

Ok good I'm not the only one.  IT'S SWIMMING, who really cares about swimming!?  Unless you watch the track and field and swimming events in the non-Olympic events then why do you care so much about Michael Phelps now?  I always felt like the people who were so impressed with Phelps swimming (but that I know never watched it any other time) were like the pink shirt fans at Celtics and Red Sox's games.  All those medals are impressive, but it's swimming.  Lol, if your kid has Michael Phelps as a hero, there may be other issues to worry about.  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Because it is against the law. Plain and simple. If you don't think that breaking the law is immoral, and based on your examples and comments in multiple threads that is obviously the case, then why continue this discussion. I believe in following the law or changing them if I don't agree with them. You are in favor of doing what you want to do as long as it you aren't caught. That kind of ends the point of debating this.

Yes it does - it's obvious you've never thought this through, or actually looked at any of the "statistical and factual" evidence you mention earlier.  You seem to believe it is obvious, but when pressed you have nothing to support your case, and you bolt.  I didn't ask you the question to shout at you, I was sincerely curious as to what you based your opinion on, since you seemed so confident in it. 

Also, I was never one of the ones who said it was only wrong if you get caught. Enjoy the game.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

I'm with Bill Simmons on this.... the multiple swimming medals are ridiculous.  Who cares if the fastest swimmer can also swim backwards fast and swim the butterfly fast?  What's the point?  They don't have olympics events for running backwards or skipping... Simmons believed Usain Bolt was a more impressive athlete.

Ok good I'm not the only one.  IT'S SWIMMING, who really cares about swimming!?  Unless you watch the track and field and swimming events in the non-Olympic events then why do you care so much about Michael Phelps now?  I always felt like the people who were so impressed with Phelps swimming (but that I know never watched it any other time) were like the pink shirt fans at Celtics and Red Sox's games.  All those medals are impressive, but it's swimming.  Lol, if your kid has Michael Phelps as a hero, there may be other issues to worry about.  ;)

I feel this way about most if not all of the Olympic events.  Funny last sentence.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
That article makes me sick. Its just a tabloid smear piece. My opinion of Phelps has not changed; I don't trust anything but the photo in that story, which tells me that he inhaled from a bong ONCE, and nothing more. That article was twisted. There was a passage in there where the author wrote something like "Phelps' aides BEGGED us not to release the picture"... and of course the unwritten part of that statement is "but we did anyway. HA HA HA! Watch your hero crash an burn. This what you get for believing me people. LEARN FROM IT." Twisted and corrupting. It makes me cringe to think some people get their news from sources like that tabloid. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
It makes me cringe to think some people get their news from sources like that tabloid. 

he has already admitted it and the story has been picked up by every major news organization.  I wouldnt worry about the news being skewed.

As for others clamoring for statistics regarding the negative effects of marijuana (And yes, I realize that some legal substances are bad, and some illegal substances are worse):

http://www.gdcada.org/statistics/marijuana.htm

http://www.nida.nih.gov/MarijBroch/MarijparentsN.html

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/default.html

http://www.psychosocial.com/IJPR_8/Marijuana_Eisenman.html

http://www.marijuana-addiction.biz/marijuana-effects.htm

that took me about 2 minutes.  If I actually try, I am sure I can find studies and more information. 

All of that aside, what would worry me about marijuana use is the fact that you simply dont know what you are smoking.  you dont know if it has been cut or laced with something that you didnt intend to ingest.  you dont know if it was being grown using chemicals or other items that have known harmful effects...  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/11/hockey-mom-palin-resoundi_n_133913.html?page=4
Now maybe that just gives you a stronger reason to claim it should be legal so their is more oversight, but right now talking about the potential health effects these things cant be dismissed.

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I dunno how to delete my post so i just erased it.  The topics been beaten to death, we should all agree to disagree, so Im not gonna further an agruement thats not going anywhere
Greg

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
oh, and I am less against medical marijuana then regular.  the reason being that the growth is controlled and regulated, people are using it for a limited time and then done, and finally, I have a very good friend who used when he was undergoing chemo and radiation and said it helped with the nausea.

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
wow...this thread turned out to be an interesting read.

I definitely side with rondohondo and fairweather when it comes to the debate. I think others are entitled to their opinions as well. We all need to basically realize we are all different, think different, and live differently. Some of us are for the most part, Law-abiding citizens with enough common sense to not take risks that threaten our or someone else's life. I might speed here and there(empty highway), or I might take a no turn on red(no ones around), does that make me a Bad person?

Some of us make choices growing up. Some choose to try new things(not necessarily drugs), and live life to the fullest. Some decide we're better off living in a bubble.

By the way, I am a good parent, I'm young, I'm married, I work, and every once in a while when I'm chillin with the guys, we puff on a little sumthing have a few drinks(not big on drinking) and watch sports. On a closing note, Celtics of the past and present smoke weed(it's called the offseason). Hell, I think even Scalabrine does.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

And as far as the DUI thing goes. I am on record on here as saying that if a person commits a DUI then they should have their license removed. Permanently. Do it again and they are in jail for a long time. Go look back and see for yourself. I for one wouldn't keep a player on my team who committed a DUI for their reckless endangerment of others lives.

You said "statistical and factual" evidence.  I gave you some, now I'm waiting for yours.  Why, using statistical and factual evidence, is personal marijuana use immoral?

I got a stat for you.  In ten thousand years of usage, no one has ever died from Marijuana use.  Compared to people dropping dead everyday from alcohol use...

Pot being illegal does a lot more harm than good. 

Specifically costing us millions in tax dollars spent jailing marijuana 'criminals', as well as the lost GNP of the most valuable commodity created in our country.  If we grew it, taxed it, and sold it, we would once again be an economic super power.  Just think of how much we could export from our vast farmlands, being that every other developed nation in the world has legalized it...  Pot is literally worth more per ounce than gold, and you can grow heaps of it every year.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Pot is literally worth more per ounce than gold, and you can grow heaps of it every year.

Gold is going for about 900 an ounce. Pot isnt.