Author Topic: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...  (Read 28831 times)

Re: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
i don't mean to yankee bash, but it here goes, imagine a Russian, Chinese swimmer had broken spitz's record, can we even imagine the reaction of the us media. The person won't be able to blink without having his medals stripped off.

Don't test they test for cannabis btw? how come it never came up.

BTW this just proves barry bonds is the only athlete in the US that has abused drugs, great job US (in)justice department!.  

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have no problem with people smoking.

I can say one thing. I hope that high was worth the millions of dollars that it will end up costing him.

The high isn't what will cost hom money...Getting caught is!
Yup

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Great moral example to set for kids. It is fine as long as you don't get caught. If that is your opinion then I sure hope you never have kids. What an immature ignorant and selfish thing to say... I'm guessing those kind of things slip out of people's mouths after smoking weed... Loser attitude.

Get off your high horse,it's marijuana . Yea it was dumb of him to do it in front of a camera , but come on there are many worse things he could have done, including alcohol which is legal. I have never seen someone who is stoned want to fight anyone or have impaired judgment to the point they are putting other peoples life in danger  like I have seen with alcohol. In fact the state of Massachusetts has decriminalized small amounts of marijuana even if they catch you smoking it.

If you are seriously looking for some athlete to be a role model for your kid , you are in for a rude awakening. I hate to break it to you , but at some point in your kids life he is most likely  going to experiment with Marijuana . As long as no ones life is being put in danger I don't see how it is any different from Alcohol, which again  has a much higher probability to put others in danger.

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wow an successful person & professional athelete smoked pot how novel.  It was dumb becuase pot is illegal (and I'm not entirely sure why) and he is a celebrity.  IMO the problem here is not that he lit up but that he was dumb enough to let someone take a picture of it.  That is just plain stupid. But he's 23 and probably did not fully understand the power of celebrity.  Unforutnately, he had to learn the hard way.

Further this goes to show how pervasive marijuana is in our culture and we just continue to willfully ignore it.  All the outrage in here is funny to me b/c each of these individuals probably knows 10 people within their extended peer grou that smoke whether they are aware of it or not.  

i don't mean to yankee bash, but it here goes, imagine a Russian, Chinese swimmer had broken spitz's record, can we even imagine the reaction of the us media. The person won't be able to blink without having his medals stripped off.

Don't test they test for cannabis btw? how come it never came up.

BTW this just proves barry bonds is the only athlete in the US that has abused drugs, great job US (in)justice department!.  

Pot is definetly not a performancing enhancing drug.  If smoking pot does anything it hurts his performance in the pool.  Yes, they do test for pot, but it was during the off season when they are tested less.  Plus he is an olympic athlete that probably has little body fat and is probably only an occasional user therefore THC will be in his system for only a minimal amount of time probably 5-10 days as opposed to the 20-35 for most individuals.

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Well, at least it's not the other type of drugs.  That's what I first thought of when I saw the title-drugs of the performance enhancing type.  That would have ruined quite a bit of his golden boy image, I imagine.

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great moral example to set for kids. It is fine as long as you don't get caught. If that is your opinion then I sure hope you never have kids. What an immature ignorant and selfish thing to say... I'm guessing those kind of things slip out of people's mouths after smoking weed... Loser attitude.

What a well-reasoned, logical, clearly supported argument you're making here.  I'm glad to know you never break the speed limit, run red lights, cheat on your taxes, download free music/movies, record off your television, burn other people's CDs or DVDs, gamble online, or break any other laws while hoping to "not get caught".  Because otherwise this might be just a bit hypocritical.

And the constant "won't somebody think of the children!!" is a lazy and ridiculous argument.  Maybe you could tell your children that what someone sets out to do and accomplishes in their public life isn't as strongly related to what they choose to do recreationally in their private life as DARE would have them believe.  Maybe you could tell your kids that laws are to be respected, but that illegal doesn't = immoral any more than legal = moral.  Otherwise, you're going to find your dogma continually at odds with reality, like you do here. 

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
so u believe he'll take drugs that will ruin his performance, but he'll never take drugs that would enhance it, yeah and lance armstrong recovered from cancer and miraculously became the most gifted athlete of all time, wink! wink!.

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm guessing none of you have children who look up to athletes. How sad it is going to be when I have to explain to my son, who watched him in the Olympics, that this guy who is supposed to be a role model does drugs?! How do they sell in school and their anti-drug programs that drugs harm the body when one of the greatest athletes of all time is doing this? I don't understand how people can dismiss this affect it has on our youth. How many kids who wouldn't have tried the drug will say "It didn't hurt Michael Phelps" now. Very sad.

You tell them that he's young, mistakes happen. It's quite easy. Your sons will go through it too. I'd be more worried about WHAT you personally and other people around are teaching their children and HOW they go about it instead of worrying about some celebrity smoking a bit of weed.

Propagation of intolerance might be the more harmful thing here.

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

What a well-reasoned, logical, clearly supported argument you're making here.  I'm glad to know you never break the speed limit, run red lights, cheat on your taxes, download free music/movies, record off your television, burn other people's CDs or DVDs, gamble online, or break any other laws while hoping to "not get caught".  Because otherwise this might be just a bit hypocritical.

And the constant "won't somebody think of the children!!" is a lazy and ridiculous argument.  Maybe you could tell your children that what someone sets out to do and accomplishes in their public life isn't as strongly related to what they choose to do recreationally in their private life as DARE would have them believe.  Maybe you could tell your kids that laws are to be respected, but that illegal doesn't = immoral any more than legal = moral.  Otherwise, you're going to find your dogma continually at odds with reality, like you do here. 

Not sure what you do in your life, however no. I don't do these things. I don't intentionally try and "get away" with things if I can. Not how I choose to live my life. My character is worth more than a few dollars extra on these things you mentioned. Am I perfect, of course not. But I do try to follow the laws and expect others to do the same.

And I will argue over and over with you about drugs not effecting people. It is statistically and factually not correct. Trying to get kids to live their lives without feeling like they need to get a false sense of reality to escape should be a goal of everyone.

My morals are not at all at odds with anything. I know where I stand and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. So does everyone even if it isn't "convenient" for them always.

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
GoCelts:  that was not what I was implying at all and I think it is ridiculous to infer that. During my time here on Earth I have seen enough to reason from my own experiences.  I've know drunks that don't do drugs, potheads that don't drink and a variety of people who abuse certain drugs and not others.  I also know people who lead a sober lifestyle but abused their children, does that make every sober person a child abuser.  Life is not that black & white.  

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 04:18:05 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Why are people saying "doing alcohol" is worse than smoking? I don't understand the logic. Maybe health wise, but legally, no, it's not worse.

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect.  Phelps was caught on camera smoking from a bong, not caught with drugs.  Big difference.

Since he admitted he was doing drugs out of that bong, no, the thread title is perfectly fine.  :P

Two things: First, it depends on your definition of 'with,' which I take to mean, 'on his person.'  From the photo, he was caught doing drugs, not with drugs.  Second, he didn't admit 'doing drugs out of that bong,' whatever that means.  He specifically said:

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Who would have thought we had the grammar police on our very own celticsblog.

Anyway, as you said, the picture shows he was doing drugs.  In order to do drugs, the drugs must be with you...It's hard to do drugs when they are no where near you.  So relax.  He was caught with drugs.  The drugs were with him. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:38:44 PM by yall hate »

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
BTW, the title of this thread is incorrect.  Phelps was caught on camera smoking from a bong, not caught with drugs.  Big difference.

Since he admitted he was doing drugs out of that bong, no, the thread title is perfectly fine.  :P

Two things: First, it depends on your definition of 'with,' which I take to mean, 'on his person.'  From the photo, he was caught doing drugs, not with drugs.  Second, he didn't admit 'doing drugs out of that bong,' whatever that means.  He specifically said:

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Who would have thought we had the grammar police on our very own celticsblog.

Anyway, as you said, the picture shows he was doing drugs.  In order to do drugs, the drugs must be with you...It's hard to do drugs when they are no where near you.  So relax.  He was caught with drugs.  The drugs were with him. 

I did not have sex with that woman...

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
As for the children if your kids decide to smoke grass it is probably because someone in their peer group that they think is cool smokes it not becuase Micheal Phelps did.  Give your kids a little credit, they are probably not that weak minded.

Boston23: I figure it is due to health problems assoicated with the two, the associated behaviors: ie drunk driving, physical altercations and immediate physical responses (vomiting/hangover).  Yes pot is illegal but I would argue that legal does not mean right or moral and illegal mean bad and immoral.  There are more socio-political reasons for it being illegal than health based reasons.  

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Why are people saying "doing alcohol" is worse than smoking? I don't understand the logic. Maybe health wise, but legally, no, it's not worse.

Because alcohol makes people act reckless, causes physical fights, puts other people in danger from dunk driving , lowers your morals , causes STD's from drunken hook ups. You are in much more control of yourself when stoned then when drunk out of your mind .  Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is any safer then marijuana ,it is actually a LOT more dangerous. As soon as the government finds a way to sell marijuana legally they will do so . It is already pretty much legal  in California and has been decriminalized in Massachusetts , except paying a fine if you are caught with a small amount .