Author Topic: St. Pierre Dominates Penn; Best Pound for Pound Fighter Out There?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
George St. Pierre put on an impressive display last night at UFC 94.  After a close first round, he dominated BJ Penn with takedowns and wore him down with impressive ground and pound, moving in and our of BJ's vaunted guard for 3 straight rounds to win on a doctor's stoppage.

At the end of the fight, GSP looked no different than when he began the fight, while Penn obviously looked like a battered man.  St. Pierre is on an impressive 5 fight win streak, and has looked positively unbeatable in those fights.  I wasn't originally a fan of his, but just watching his fights - with his efficiency and excitement in the octagon, has made me a GSP fan.

So does this win put him at the top of the MMA ladder?  Or does that go to Fedor after his 1st round knockout of Arlovski?  Personally, I think it goes to GSP due to his domination and the higher skill level of fighters that he's faced.  Although, you can't discount Anderson Silva, who has also been dominant against a higher level of competition at Middleweight than either GSP or Fedor.

MMA Heads, discuss with me.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Re: St. Pierre Dominates Penn; Best Pound for Pound Fighter Out There?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
its like splitting hairs.  I think compelling arguments can be made for GSP, Silva or Fedor.

GSP looked great last night. (Although, and I am sure it will not amount to anything, but BJ and his team filed a complaint that GSP had Vaseline on his back during the fight). 

Fedor looks amazing everytime out.  I cant even remember the last time he had a fight where he was pushed.  I mean, he dominates everyone that has stepped into the ring with him...and dominates them on the mat, standing with strikes, etc...

So yea, who knows.

On a semi related note, how awesome did Machida look last night.  dominant.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
I'm glad that GSP won just so that BJ Penn had to eat all of the things that he said leading up to the fight.

Along with Lyoto Machida looking impressive, I thought that Clay Guida looked pretty good as well.
UBUNTU

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
clay gassed a bit earlier then I thought he should have...but he always puts on a good show.

If they can ever teach Jon Jones some actual mma moves (submissions, ground and pound, etc...) he could be very good. his athleticism was off the charts and at only 21 he has a lot of time left.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Anderson Silva best pound-for-pound fighter
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »

Offline Not Walkin Thru

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I am late to the Fedor party because of his not making a home in the UFC, but the more I see of him, the harder it is to say he is not the best there has ever been in the world of MMA.  He has one loss due to a lame cut on a missed punch that resulted in an elbow opening up a cut from a fight earlier in the day.  This was over 8 years ago.  He has only been hit hard once, and he bounced back to knock out the guy within the round.  He is currently destroying every past UFC champion that is being thrown his way, and can finish from anywhere in the ring.

In regards to GSP, it is hard to say that his first fight with Penn was a clear cut victory.  Don't forget Matt Serra taking him apart.

We would be talking about Faber in this conversation as well if he hadn't thrown that horrible elbow that missed Mike Brown by about 3 feet.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

In regards to GSP, it is hard to say that his first fight with Penn was a clear cut victory.  Don't forget Matt Serra taking him apart.

Yeah, agreed, but at this time, in his past 5 fights, he's fought the best competition and no one has come close to touching him.  Only Fedor can say the same, but he hasn't fought as high a level of competition.  Silva has been dominant as well, but after the bizarre Cote fight I'm not sure what to think of him...still, those 3 are the top 3 by a longshot.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Yeah, agreed, but at this time, in his past 5 fights, he's fought the best competition and no one has come close to touching him.  Only Fedor can say the same, but he hasn't fought as high a level of competition.  Silva has been dominant as well, but after the bizarre Cote fight I'm not sure what to think of him...still, those 3 are the top 3 by a longshot.

Fedor has fought the highest level of competition there is (in the heavyweight division). plain and simple.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

Fedor has fought the highest level of competition there is (in the heavyweight division). plain and simple.

Pound for pound?  I think that the welterweight/middleweight divisions of the UFC have more talented fighters than the entire heavyweight population, regardless of organization.  Besides Sylvia who I don't think is anything special, but a stylistic nightmare, and Arlovski, who has Fedor fought recently that could have been considered a major threat?  Cro cop, 4 years ago?  He's fought decent opponents in his last 2 fights, but I think having that Couture fight 2 years ago would really have given us a better idea of his talent.

I just don't think that the heavyweight division can hold a candle to the other divisions (except lightweight) as far as total talent goes - but a big part of that is because of the division between Fedor and the UFC.  I think with the quality of competition that GSP has faced lately, he gets the nod as the best pound for pound fighter out there.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Pound for pound?  I think that the welterweight/middleweight divisions of the UFC have more talented fighters than the entire heavyweight population, regardless of organization.  Besides Sylvia who I don't think is anything special, but a stylistic nightmare, and Arlovski, who has Fedor fought recently that could have been considered a major threat?  Cro cop, 4 years ago?  He's fought decent opponents in his last 2 fights, but I think having that Couture fight 2 years ago would really have given us a better idea of his talent.

I just don't think that the heavyweight division can hold a candle to the other divisions (except lightweight) as far as total talent goes - but a big part of that is because of the division between Fedor and the UFC.  I think with the quality of competition that GSP has faced lately, he gets the nod as the best pound for pound fighter out there.

Yea I wasnt doubting that the heavyweight division is 'weak'.  I was saying that Fedor has fought the best available and dominated all of them. Couture is probably the only person you could say he hasnt fought that would further prove his dominance, but that is/was out of his control.

I said above that I thought an argument could be made for any one of gsp, silva, or fedor.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I also look at it like this...last night, I thought GSP would win.  But I wouldnt have been surprised if Penn had beat him.  it wouldnt have shocked me. There is no fighter, in any promotion anywhere in the world that I think would have a chance against Fedor right now.  (and I realize the weight issue...)

I just think Fedor might be the most complete fighter.  He can truly finish a fight from anywhere. 

But there is no doubt guys like GSP and Anderson Silva are clearly at the top of their classes.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Last night was disappointing, I'm a huge BJ Penn fan, so obviously that was tough to watch.

GSP vs Silva would be an unbelievable fight though, the two best pound for pound fighters in the game, with Fedor and BJ being 3rd and 4th.

Lyoto looked great last night, I think he'll take Evans. Machida - Rampage is what I want to see.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
I also look at it like this...last night, I thought GSP would win.  But I wouldnt have been surprised if Penn had beat him.  it wouldnt have shocked me. There is no fighter, in any promotion anywhere in the world that I think would have a chance against Fedor right now.  (and I realize the weight issue...)

I just think Fedor might be the most complete fighter.  He can truly finish a fight from anywhere. 

But there is no doubt guys like GSP and Anderson Silva are clearly at the top of their classes.

Not sure what happened to the rest of my post but...I might be biased against the heavyweights...especially when GSP and Silva look like elite athletes and Fedor looks like he should be checking IDs outside an alley bar in western Pennsylvania.  However, he has virtually no weaknesses, and his knockout power from the guard is particularly impressive - opponents aren't safe against him anywhere.  Unfortunately, there's no one out there at heavyweight that's on his level, but hopefully Barnett will give him a good fight.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:32:22 PM by ChampKind »

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Lyoto looked great last night, I think he'll take Evans. Machida - Rampage is what I want to see.

Well you got Evans-Rampage next. 

Machida is going to get the winner.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

Well you got Evans-Rampage next. 

Machida is going to get the winner.

Can't be too sure yet...That would be a lot of time off for Evans since that wouldn't happen for at least 4-5 months due to the Rampage/Jardine fight.  Evans/Machida could end up getting pushed up based on the results of the next month or so - UFC needs more title fights for headliners, and they won't be able to run any lightweight/welterweight title fights for a few months at least.