Author Topic: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time  (Read 53395 times)

Re: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Antonina Rocca, of course

So here's my Antonina Rocca story, from the early 1960's:  Rocca is scheduled to wrestle Dr. Jerry Graham for the world championship at the Boston Garden in a match promoted by the legendary Boston impresario Sam Silverman.

A week before the scheduled match, Rocca is being interviewed on TV. The interview is interrupted by a nun and a little girl carrying a clock radio.  The nun says "We are from Saint Mary's orphanage.  The girls love Mr. Rocca and have saved their lunch money for weeks and weeks to buy him this clock radio".

The little orphan hands Rocca the clock radio.  His eyes become moist, and he exclaims in broken English that this is the most touching gift he has ever received. Just then, Dr. Jerry Graham appears from behind a corner of the ring, snatches the clock radio from Rocca's hand and smashes it on the ground.  The little girl starts to cry, a melee ensues, and the announcer and several others must restrain Rocca from going after Graham.

Rocca turns to the camera and screams "I going to keel him.  I going to keel him!  Next Saturday at the Boston Garden, 7 pm! Tickets starting at $1.75 for the balcony, 3.00 for the mezzanine and $10 ringside!"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:55:37 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Perhaps the NBA is now like wrestling due to this guy and a few others,
perhaps not, but perhaps........

my favorite:  Thunderlips
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2008, 11:16:07 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
3 - The best technical wrestler (along with Chris Benoit):

2 - The best wrestler, period:

1 - The best:

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
Sting, he was my favorite wrestler ever when I was younger.
http://www.ripthesystem.com/wrestling/wcw/sting3.jpg

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2008, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
anyone ever meet a closet wrestling fan?  one of my favorites was I was telling some girl I was going to a wrestling show that weekend, and she's like oh Wrestlemania? And I'm like no, I forget now what it was, some ppv in Boston, but anyways, she's like oh isn't John Cena defending the title against whoever, and I'm say yes, then she goes into this whole thing about how she knew him when he was the prototype - turns out she used to date him and follows it regularly (or him regularly more likely) but the wrestlemania line was definitely thrown in there to make it look like she didnt' know what she was talking about

was she a "girlfriend?"  wouldn't want to have to follow that act... :)

haha she wasn't, just a random girl I met, yeah that'd be a tough act to follow no doubt

[edit]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:36:00 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
What a great thread! Sure brought back memories...

No one tops Hogan. Not even close. However, there were a lot of other greats. Some of the names brought up here were right on. Superfly Snuka, Macho Man, George the Animal Steele, Hacksaw Jim Duggan (still brings a smile to my face) Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Orndorff. Rowdy Roddy Piper...

I love the most hated ones as well. Iron Shiek and King Kong Bundy (I don't think anyone mentioned him) and Kabuki...

One we loved to hate was Nikolai Volkoff. I saw him about a year ago in a run down Walmart in NC signing autographs at a plastic card table. It was quite sad actually. It was funny though not having seen him or heard of him in 20+ years that I still instantly knew his name and face...

« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
Some others not mentioned.
Greg the hammer Valentine
Nakita Koloff
Ivan Koloff
Magnum T.A.
Tito Santana
the Mulkie Brothers
Kevin Sullivan
Ahamed Johnson
Sid Justice
Hillbilly Jim
Doctor Death Steve Williams
Ron Simmions
Slick the manager
The Missing Link
Some were cheesy Some were great for short time.

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Tony Atlas
Missing Link
Mandigo Warrior
Kerry Von Eric
Both Road Warriors
Rick Flair

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Can't Forget

The Million Dollar Man "Ted Debiase"

« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

No one tops Hogan. Not even close. However, there were a lot of other greats. Some of the names brought up here were right on. Superfly Snuka, Macho Man, George the Animal Steele, Hacksaw Jim Duggan (still brings a smile to my face) Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Orndorff. Rowdy Roddy Piper...

I love the most hated ones as well. Iron Shiek and King Kong Bundy (I don't think anyone mentioned him) and Kabuki...

One we loved to hate was Nikolai Volkoff. I saw him about a year ago in a run down Walmart in NC signing autographs at a plastic card table. It was quite sad actually. It was funny though not having seen him or heard of him in 20+ years that I still instantly knew his name and face...

no love for HBK and brett hart EJ?

you cut me man, you cut me deep  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

no love for HBK and brett hart EJ?

you cut me man, you cut me deep  :D

Lot's of love for them too. I read every page of this thread with a big grin on my face seeing lots of names that brought back memories. It was sure fun to watch as a young teenager... One that I thought of that was a villain that many won't know was Playboy Buddy Rose. I'm sure I am forgetting many others. Hogan still is in first with everyone else miles behind. All the wrestlers would agree. Without him this thread doesn't exist!