Author Topic: Rumor: Suns Want Brogdon  (Read 4622 times)

Re: Rumor: Suns Want Brogdon
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2023, 08:12:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
Brogdon and Muscala for Ayton would work.  Would also work for Chris Paul.  I don't really have any interest in Chris Paul but I would do this trade for Ayton.  I get all the concerns but I see this as worth the risk.

As to Chris Paul, I don't understand what they are trying to do with him.  It is only a partial guarantee for 2023-24 season.  I think I saw $15.8M is the guarantee.  The deadline for that is Jun 28.  So I guess if they trade him before that, the other team can waive him and carry the $15.8M for next season.  But PHO would have to offer something for a team to do that.

Maybe ATL would take Chris Paul and something for Collins.  ATL would have to believe Chris Paul was going to be useful, which I can't see how he would be.  And I don't see why ATL would need Ayton or want to trade Collins for him.  It doesn't seem that Ayton and Capela would not play well together.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373
Brogdon and Muscala for Ayton would work.  Would also work for Chris Paul.  I don't really have any interest in Chris Paul but I would do this trade for Ayton.  I get all the concerns but I see this as worth the risk.

As to Chris Paul, I don't understand what they are trying to do with him.  It is only a partial guarantee for 2023-24 season.  I think I saw $15.8M is the guarantee.  The deadline for that is Jun 28.  So I guess if they trade him before that, the other team can waive him and carry the $15.8M for next season.  But PHO would have to offer something for a team to do that.

Maybe ATL would take Chris Paul and something for Collins.  ATL would have to believe Chris Paul was going to be useful, which I can't see how he would be.  And I don't see why ATL would need Ayton or want to trade Collins for him.  It doesn't seem that Ayton and Capela would not play well together.

yeah I dont want CP3 for Brogdon that would be a step down. but I would do Brogdon/Muscala for Ayton. Then re-sign Pritchard (you don't want to lose all your guards.)

his effort is a question mark. But Timelord/Ayton/Horford isnt bad as a back court of bigs

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2023, 08:54:09 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

I think I'd be willing to include a heavily protected first or a couple seconds for Ayton in a deal like that, if the Suns really wanted Brogdon as their Paul replacement (which does make sense). Who knows, maybe the Phoenix medical staff could work wonders once again and make Brogdon more durable.The Suns could then use that draft capital with Paul to get Collins.

The Hawks have been trying to trade Collins for years now. I wonder if a couple good seconds or a protected first would be enough for them to finally pull the trigger. #35 in this draft makes sense to me.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2023, 09:56:43 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034
C’s probably wouldn’t love Ayton and his contract because he doesn’t spread the floor. They already have Williams.

I would love seeing them make a play for Porzingis. If Beal gets moved, there’s no reason to keep him in Washington. He shot .385 from deep, and you’d have to think he’d get better looks in Boston than he did with the Wizards. And he’s still only 27 so he fits with our timeline.

I know three-team deals rarely come to fruition, but Brogdon and assets to PHX, Ayton and assets to WAS, and Porzingis to BOS makes some sense for all teams.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2023, 10:13:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424

ATL should trade Capela for Ayton. PHO gets their defensive minded rebounder who doesn't need the ball on offense who will be happy doing the dirty work next to Durant, Booker and CP3. ATL gets a talent upgrade at center with Ayton. A talented young center to replace Capela who is already starting to decline on defense.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2023, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
C’s probably wouldn’t love Ayton and his contract because he doesn’t spread the floor. They already have Williams.

I would love seeing them make a play for Porzingis. If Beal gets moved, there’s no reason to keep him in Washington. He shot .385 from deep, and you’d have to think he’d get better looks in Boston than he did with the Wizards. And he’s still only 27 so he fits with our timeline.

I know three-team deals rarely come to fruition, but Brogdon and assets to PHX, Ayton and assets to WAS, and Porzingis to BOS makes some sense for all teams.

It is an interesting question about spreading the floor.  Didn't the Celtics play at their best though when RWill was healthy and playing a lot?  They were fine with "4 out" and one big in the paint for lobs or setting screens, getting tip ins.  You may be right that philosophically, the Celtics may prefer a big that can "spread the floor", like Porzingis, but I don't think it is that binary, or at least shouldn't be.

Ayton is an interesting case.  You have to wonder how he would have played in IND if PHX didn't match the offer sheet.  He wanted out of PHX, but was kind of stuck there.  PHX didn't want to lose him for nothing, very understandable.  I think there is a good chance that in a new setting, Ayton will be even better than the 18 pts / 10 rebs big that he was in PHX last season.

As to Porzingis, I agree, I like Porzingis.  I feel that Porzingis and Ayton have comparable value.  Durability is the concern with Porzingis of course.  I would trade Brogdon for Porzingis too, but doesn't seem to be the kind of deal that WAS would be looking for.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2023, 10:32:28 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1779
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I saw a trade idea where IND gets Ayton, we get Turner, and PHX gets Brogdon (other small pieces involved). This gives us a more established (but still young) option at Center, PHX gets Brogdon as reported, and IND finally gets Ayton after PHX matched their max contract offer last offseason.

Also, Turner has 2 years/$40M left on his contract, so much more dealable in terms of salary.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2023, 10:32:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Evan Sidery: There’s not much of a trade market for Deandre Ayton, per @wojespn on @ryenarussillo’s podcast (podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the…): There’s not much of a trade market for Deandre Ayton, per @wojespn on @ryenarussillo ’s podcast (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ryen-russillo-podcast/id1433966613?i=1000617181466): “I think the hard part for Phoenix right now is Deandre Ayton’s market is lean. They have to be prepared they’ll have Deandre Ayton back. … They have to prepare for the very likely possibility (Ayton stays). They’ve gone through the marketplace, and I don’t think there’s an obvious deal for Deandre Ayton out there.” Since the Suns matched the Pacers’ max offer sheet last summer, Ayton also has veto power over any potential deal until July 15. pic.twitter.com/OPMQ0m8Brc

Interesting, didn't know about the trade veto power but a deal with the Celtics, after July 15, would not be an issue I don't think.  They have a deadline with Chris Paul due to his contract guarantee but a deal with the Celtics would likely be after the draft and all and once the season rolls over in any case.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

It is an interesting question about spreading the floor.  Didn't the Celtics play at their best though when RWill was healthy and playing a lot?  They were fine with "4 out" and one big in the paint for lobs or setting screens, getting tip ins.  You may be right that philosophically, the Celtics may prefer a big that can "spread the floor", like Porzingis, but I don't think it is that binary, or at least shouldn't be.

Ayton is an interesting case.  You have to wonder how he would have played in IND if PHX didn't match the offer sheet.  He wanted out of PHX, but was kind of stuck there.  PHX didn't want to lose him for nothing, very understandable.  I think there is a good chance that in a new setting, Ayton will be even better than the 18 pts / 10 rebs big that he was in PHX last season.

As to Porzingis, I agree, I like Porzingis.  I feel that Porzingis and Ayton have comparable value.  Durability is the concern with Porzingis of course.  I would trade Brogdon for Porzingis too, but doesn't seem to be the kind of deal that WAS would be looking for.

Ayton has a nice jumper out to 15-18 feet. For years the Suns have tried to get him to shoot 3s but he's been unable/unwilling. That still may develop some.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

ATL should trade Capela for Ayton. PHO gets their defensive minded rebounder who doesn't need the ball on offense who will be happy doing the dirty work next to Durant, Booker and CP3. ATL gets a talent upgrade at center with Ayton. A talented young center to replace Capela who is already starting to decline on defense.

Don't disagree with the logic but the original report was that PHX was looking at Collins.  I was going with that.   I agree that Capela would be a good fit for PHX.  Not sure this deal would happen though.  It would have to be Capela and something else in the $5M contract range or otherwise expand.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2023, 01:24:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
I'd do some variation of Brogdon and TL + minor assets for Ayton.
#JKJB

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
If we can get Ayton for Brogdon, it sounds good on paper. But the tricky part is what do we do with TL? I’d wager the team would still perform better with TL on the floor rather than DA because TL is a defensive game changer, even if DA is the better overall basketball player.

So we’d likely end up with a very expensive, overqualified backup big man. Unless of course there are other moves on the horizon.
- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2725
If the Suns aren't looking to move Ayton in a  Brogdon deal, how about targeting Jock Landale and TJ Warren?

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2023, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Porzingas is also very fragile.   I would have Ayton for that reason.   

"

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 01:37:01 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
Our long term lineup after an Ayton trade could be something like:
Smart/white/brown/Tatum/ayton with Horford off the bench

Or:
White/brown/tatum/4/Ayton.

The 4 could be Horford or a floor stretching option like Hauser or a muscala. Smart + Horford as our bench unit would be awesome.
#JKJB