Author Topic: Lakers (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 6/8  (Read 87649 times)

Lakers (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 6/8
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  

Los Angeles Lakers (1-1, 13-5) at Boston Celtics (1-1, 13-6)
Postseason Game #20 – Home Game #10
Tuesday, June 8
9:00 PM ET
TV: ABC
TD Garden  

Probable Starting Matchups
 vs  
Rajon Rondo  16.6  PPG  5.7  RPG  9.9 APG  2.0 SPG  +21.84
Derek Fisher  10.7 PPG  2.6 RPG 3.2 APG  1.3 SPG  +11.11

vs
Ray Allen   17.3 PPG  3.4 RPG  2.8 APG  +15.68      
Kobe Bryant  29.0 PPG  5.2 RPG  6.2 APG  +26.22

vs
Paul Pierce   18.9 PPG  6.3 RPG  3.6 APG   +18.74
Ron Artest   11.4 PPG  3.8 RPG  2.3 APG   +11.28

vs
Kevin Garnett    14.4 PPG  7.7 RPG  2.4 APG  .7 BPG   +18.00
Pau Gasol   20.4 PPG  10.9 RPG  3.4 APG  2.2 BPG  +28.10

vs
Kendrick Perkins   6.1 PPG   6.2 RPG  1.1 APG  1.7 BPG  +10.32
Andrew Bynum    9.8 PPG   7.5 RPG  .7 APG  1.9 BPG   +15.33

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 29.0
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Reserves
Marquis Daniels
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Brian Scalabrine
Rasheed Wallace
Shelden Williams
Nate Robinson
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette  
Michael Finley

Injuries:
Hopefully None

Who to Watch

Rasheed Wallace   6.6 PPG, 2.6 RPG, .2 APG  + 7.05
Sheed has shown up in the playoffs and has played well.  And, the Celtics have needed his play with their bigs in almost constant foul trouble over the first two games.   Sheed has to give them good minutes, especially on the defensive end.  

Coach: Phil Jackson
Average Age: 27.7
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 228

Reserves
Lamar Odom
Sasha Vujacic
Josh Powell
Jordan Farmar
DJ Mbenga
Adam Morrison
Shannon Brown
Luke Walton

Injuries
None

Who to Watch

Lamar Odom  9.8 PPG  8.9 RPG   2.2 APG  +15.78
So far in the first two games, Odom has been a non factor for the Lakers.  He has spent much of his time in foul trouble and has not done much to contribute.  If Odom gets going and has a big game, it will give the Lakers a big boost.  

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Derek Fisher
In the second half of game 2 when the Lakers switched their defensive emphasis to Ray Allen,  Rondo took over the game.  He was aggressive going to the hoop, hit big jumpers and found the open man on his way to the first triple double in the finals since Duncan did it in 2003.  The Celtics need this Rondo to show up in game 3.  They need him to be aggressive and look to impose his will on the game.  

vs  
Kevin Garnett vs Pau Gasol
Gasol has been the Lakers best player so far in this series.  He struggled against Amare in the Conference finals, but has come back in a big way in the first two games of the Finals.  Gasol is averaging 24 points and 11 rebounds in the first two games.   On the other hand, KG is yet to show up in this series.  He has spend much of the first two games in foul trouble and is averaging just 11 points and 4 rebounds per game.  The Celtics need him to especially do better on the boards.  He needs to go after the rebounds with two hands instead of one handing them as he has been.  KG has to find a way to get his game on track especially on defense to help neutralize Gasol's impact on the game.  

vs  
Paul Pierce vs Ron Artest
Ron Artest had a very good game in game 1 and really struggled in game 2 to the point where LA fans were happy when he fouled out.  Pierce didn't have a good offensive game in game 2, but he did contribute with his court leadership and his defense.   Pierce told the fans at the end of game 2 that they would not be coming back to LA and so he needs to come out and play well to back up his words.  

Game Notes
The Celtics got the split in LA that they needed to steal home court advantage.  In the series against the Cavs, the Celtics got a split in Cleveland and then came home and got blown out on their home court by 29 points.  That loss seemed to wake them up and they went on to win the last 3 games of that series and the first 3 games of the Orlando series before dropping game 4 at home and game 5 on the road to the Magic.  

The Lakers are going to be energized by their loss in game 2, just as the Celtics were energized by their loss in game 1.  The Celtics must be ready for the Lakers to come out strong and they have to match their intensity.  Effort was the big difference between games 1 and 2 for the Celtics.  This is the finals and they can't afford to let up and give the Lakers a game.  They have to bring the same hustle, effort and intensity, especially on defense that they brought in game 2.  

The Lakers have lost 4 games on the road so far in the playoffs.  They lost 2 in Oklahoma City and 2 in Phoenix.   The Celtics have lost just 2 games on their home court so far in the playoffs:  Game 3 vs Cleveland and game 4 vs Orlando. The Celtics can't afford the lack of effort that gave Cleveland the win in the Garden.  They must come out strong and stick to their game plan.  

Keys to the Game
Defense - Just as it has been in every game this season and every game in the playoffs, defense will be the key to this game.  The Celtics must defend the paint better along with keeping them off the 3 point line.  

Rebounding -  In game 1, the Celtics were out rebounded 42-31.  In game 2, the Celtics won the battle of the boards 44-39.  It is no coincidence that the team that won the rebounding battle also won the game.  The Celtics must battle for every rebound to limit the Lakers 2nd chance points.  The fact that Rondo, the smallest guy on the court (other than Nate Robinson) pulled down 12 rebounds shows that rebounding is effort and desire and the Celtics must out work the Lakers on the boards if they want to win this game.

Run the Offense - When the Celtics move the ball and make the extra pass and find the open many, they are very tough to beat.  In game 1 they had just 19 assists.  In game 2 they had 28.  Again, it isn't a coincidence that they won the game where they racked up the assists.  The Celtics can't lapse into hero ball and iso's.  They have to keep moving the ball and trusting each other on offense.

Bench Play -  The Celtics bench came up big for them in game 2.  With the starting bigs in foul trouble much of the game, Big Baby and Rasheed came through with a combined 15 points and 14 rebounds.  Nate Robinson was again a factor in just 6 minutes contributing 7 points.   Tony's contribution has been mostly on the defensive end where he has helped to keep Kobe Bryant from taking over the game.  

Play 48 Minutes -  The Celtics must come out strong and bring intensity for the full 48 minutes.   The Lakers are going to bring theirs and the Celtics will have to match it.  If the Celtics want to win the championship they must come out focused and play with energy and hustle for every minute of the game.  No let ups.  

X-Factors
Quick Turnaround and Officiating
For some bizarre reason, they have scheduled games 2 and 3 with just 1 day between them with both teams having to travel across the country on that off day.  Fatigue, jet lag, and the effects of the pressure in the airplane  cabin  on injuries could all come into effect in this game.   The officiating is always a concern.  They have called it very tight so far and key players on both teams have been in foul trouble for much of the first two games.  The Celtics had to overcome a big free throw disparity in order to win game 2.  Hopefully they will call it more evenly in this game and allow them to play a bit more.  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:46:51 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Lakers (1-1) at Celtics (1-1) Game 3 6/8
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
LOL...gotta love Pierce and his comments

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4C-CBuGubwE"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4C-CBuGubwE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

As for Game 3....I just want to see a very focused Celtic team playing intelligent basketball.

We have to continue playing top-notch defense, win the battle of the boards and avoid making silly turn overs.

Looking forward to a great game by the C's and very fired up crowd at the TD Garden.

GO CELTICS !!

TP FLCeltsFan  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:45:45 PM by Rashi »

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
Btw...I read this somewhere:

Marc Spears' twitter:

"Officials enlisted for Game 3 in Boston were Danny Crawford, Bennett Salvatore, Bill Kennedy and James Capers."

I hope its not true tho...I don't think I can sit through another horribly officiated game.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Marc Spears' twitter:

"Officials enlisted for Game 3 in Boston were Danny Crawford, Bennett Salvatore, Bill Kennedy and James Capers."

I hope its not true tho...I don't think I can sit through another horribly officiated game.
That's 4 refs and only 3 will be assigned.  I've been dreading a Salvatore/Kennedy game.    They don't release the names until 9 am ET of game day.    He may just be speculating given who has officiated so far and who is available.  I've been expecting and dreading a Salvatore game and it will probably come in this one. 

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves
TP to FLCF for another well done post.  ;)

On the referee note...I'm nervous.  After seeing how games 1 and 2 were officiated, I really don't want to see a repeat in game 3.  But, if the Celtics keep their focus and not let any sketchy calls get into their heads, it should be okay.  One would hope.  :-\
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown

Marc Spears' twitter:

That's 4 refs and only 3 will be assigned.  I've been dreading a Salvatore/Kennedy game.    They don't release the names until 9 am ET of game day.    He may just be speculating given who has officiated so far and who is available.  I've been expecting and dreading a Salvatore game and it will probably come in this one. 

Yeah I too was confused when I saw 4 names listed instead of 3...so I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Beat LA!
Beat LA!

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51

Marc Spears' twitter:

Salvatore always gets game 3. Bill Kennedy and Danny Crawford would be a nice touch.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Awesome work once again, I especially like the Twitter thing and how right was Paul just there?  ;) TP.

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Marc Spears' twitter:

Salvatore always gets game 3. Bill Kennedy and Danny Crawford would be a nice touch.

Dan Crawford, Bill Kennedy and Bennett Salvatore it is...

Here is the Official report  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=38571.0

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Have you noticed that we had no Lakers trolls since we won game 2? Let's keep it up  :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:36:59 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Let's go C's!

Let's bring up the energy Celtics fans!

Let's take the lead!

Beat LA!
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »

Kiorrik

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWW

(I hate Salvatore.)

But erm, I was in the mood for YEEEEEHAWWWWwing; CELTICS IN 5!!!

Let's get this guys!

LET'S GO CELTICS!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
ugh...boston already behind the 8 ball tonight with this crew calling the game

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
ugh...boston already behind the 8 ball tonight with this crew calling the game

I expect Boston to play so well, that they take the officials out of the game. 

Tonight, I expect Pierce to get off and Rondo to cause havoc.

I expect Perk to finally stump his man.