Author Topic: Tatum mvp type season?  (Read 7376 times)

Re: Tatum mvp type season?
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I haven't been super keen on all the MVP talk for Tatum, up to now I just didn't think he was really there.

But I have to say, I don't think anyone else is playing better overall than him.  The game against the mavs was a great showcase for his two-way play.  If he keeps up the 30+ ppg and the def and playmaking, and the celtics finish as the best or close to the best team in the NBA, he has a legit shot at it.

If we continue this type of play, I could see Tatum as MVP and Brown as 3rd team all-nba.

I would say that all NBA at guard for this year will come from:

From last year's winners:
Doncic
Booker
Morant
Curry
Probably out:
Young
Paul

Probably in:
Brown
SGA

Its crowded at the top. Doncic, Booker, Curry, Morant and SGA are all having monster years. Jaylen started off the year one step behind any of them offensively, but to be fair, that gap has largely disappeared in the 2-3 weeks and he's the best defender by a large margin. If Brown and the C's continue to play at this level, he may end up on the 1st team with Doncic.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 01:41:58 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Tatum on offense this year has been incredible, but as good as he's been I think you can make the argument he's still only ben the leagues like 6th best offensive player.

Steph, Jokic, Luka (crayz volume), AD, Durant all arguably have better offensive seasons right now. Even guys like SGA or Mitchell have put up similar numbers/efficiency. Tatum's MVP argument will be based off four key points:

1) He's close enough to those guys offensively.
2) He never misses games and plays a ton of minutes (Value in volume)
3) He's better defensively then the pure offense options like Steph, Luka, Jokic (Ie, two way guy)
4) His team win's 60+ games.

Celtics fans should take eveyr opportunity possible to hammer these points home.

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 12:47:36 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Most points scored through 26 games in Celtics history:

1. Jayson Tatum - 763 pts
2. John Havlicek - 757 pts

Tatum did it in 25 games

—————————

Source: Boston Sports Info
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:57:27 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 05:24:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He absolutely is the lead MVP candidate for me thus far this season. He's right about where Durant was when he won his MVP on offence (less efficient and slightly less dynamic) but better defensively and at rebounding.

He's also the #1 player on the best offence of all time (thus far), which is on pace for 66 wins if it keeps this current rate up. The SRS of this Celtics team is currently at 9.2 last I checked, which is essentially a metric to measure the strength of a team, which would have us in the top 15 of all time.

None of this diminishes Brown's play, who I think is playing in All-NBA form right now, but Tatum would win MVP if the season ended today.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2022, 03:51:14 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Jayson Tatum is averaging more points and on better TS% than Larry Bird in any of his 3 MVP seasons.

—————————

Source: StatMuse

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2022, 11:04:48 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It's a pretty incredible season for individual performances early on. Giannis is averaging 32-11-5, Luka 33-9-9, Curry 30-6-7, Embiid 32-10-5, Durant 30-7-5, Jokic is averaging 24-10-9 on 65 eFG%.

And Tatum is on top of the MVP ladder with 31-8-4 for the best team in the league.

I'm sure some of this will settle down by the end of the long season but the top of the league is pretty incredible this season. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2022, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Jayson Tatum is averaging more points and on better TS% than Larry Bird in any of his 3 MVP seasons.

—————————

Source: StatMuse

Someone was chirping early on (Possibly here, but probably on CelticsBlog) that Tatum’s offense wasn’t good enough for an MVP. That he still had trouble getting to the rim and couldn’t finish with his left hand.

The main claim was that since he was not able to score with his left hand, he would always get stopped because defenders knew they only had to defend one side of the rim.

Ironically this was posted the day after Tatum had a nifty left hand finish in the previous night’s game. Someone was kind enough to post a highlight video of that shot in the game comments. I linked that in case they didn’t watch the game.

It seems that ever since that game I notice Tatum scoring with a nice left hand move at least once. Some are subtle but others are highlight moves. 

If the criteria for being a versatile scorer and MVP candidate is being able to score with either hand, Tatum has ticked that box.

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I haven't been super keen on all the MVP talk for Tatum, up to now I just didn't think he was really there.

But I have to say, I don't think anyone else is playing better overall than him.  The game against the mavs was a great showcase for his two-way play.  If he keeps up the 30+ ppg and the def and playmaking, and the celtics finish as the best or close to the best team in the NBA, he has a legit shot at it.

If we continue this type of play, I could see Tatum as MVP and Brown as 3rd team all-nba.

I would say that all NBA at guard for this year will come from:

From last year's winners:
Doncic
Booker
Morant
Curry
Probably out:
Young
Paul

Probably in:
Brown
SGA

Its crowded at the top. Doncic, Booker, Curry, Morant and SGA are all having monster years. Jaylen started off the year one step behind any of them offensively, but to be fair, that gap has largely disappeared in the 2-3 weeks and he's the best defender by a large margin. If Brown and the C's continue to play at this level, he may end up on the 1st team with Doncic.

Brown has started most games this season as small forward, with D White and Smart the starting guards. Does that have any bearing on what position he is eligible to be selected at for NBA team?

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2022, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's a pretty incredible season for individual performances early on. Giannis is averaging 32-11-5, Luka 33-9-9, Curry 30-6-7, Embiid 32-10-5, Durant 30-7-5, Jokic is averaging 24-10-9 on 65 eFG%.

And Tatum is on top of the MVP ladder with 31-8-4 for the best team in the league.

I'm sure some of this will settle down by the end of the long season but the top of the league is pretty incredible this season.

Yeah I think we’re going to see some guys fall down to earth as the season progresses, but it’s quite a year as far individual performances go.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2022, 01:03:33 AM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
He showed up in the most important game of the season far  8)

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2022, 08:08:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't love some of the hype.  "MVP season", "best offense in NBA history", etc.  I think they guys could read that stuff, and it might make them a little less hungry.  The ability to keep the foot on the gas and to win 65+ games is a skill, just like performing in the playoffs is.

All that said...  Tatum absolutely is having an MVP season, and last night's game is part of that resume.  I wish it didn't take that type of individual effort to beat the Lakers, but Tatum stepped up big time, and once again showed Lebron that he's not afraid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2022, 08:30:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah I think we’re going to see some guys fall down to earth as the season progresses, but it’s quite a year as far individual performances go.
I don't.  Those numbers are all basically in line with what those guys did last year and in some cases many prior years.  Tatum is the only guy that has been bumped up a bit, but that also seems like a natural progression (and it isn't that much different than last year, he is just shooting a bit better and getting to the line more). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2022, 09:07:12 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
High pressure, yet still poetry in motion.

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2022, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2023, 10:54:15 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell