Author Topic: Report: Hayward reportedly needed 2 more weeks of rehab  (Read 4881 times)

Re: Report: Hayward reportedly needed 2 more weeks of rehab
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This was really plain to see. His aggression and ability to finish inside was really poor compared to his FG% from 0-3 feet in the regular season, which had been 75% - that's DeAndre Jordan-level elite finishing.

He cops it more than anyone around here for being soft, or for not wanting to be there. But the fact of the matter is he missed the birth of his first son to be with the team, and compromised his health even further by doing so. Much respect to Gordy
I think your second paragraph really hits home for me. After last night's game, the general narrative on here seems to be that we're a very soft team, with Hayward getting the brunt of that criticism, as you said. What Hayward did for us this series is the farthest thing from soft. A "soft" person would have been like "Adios, team! I'm gonna kick back and relax to heal my injury. Perfect excuse to be with my wife and newborn son."

I think people were frustrated that Hayward couldn't give us more, but I haven't heard him blamed for last night - at least not in the top 5 reasons. 1) Theis had the worst game of his career, 2) Smart jacked up ridiculous 3s at inopportune times, 3) Kemba and Smart were constantly getting burned on the perimeter for easy lay-ups, 4) Tatum did not come to play from the start for the 3rd night in a row, 5) While MIA was attacking us in the 4th, we took lazy 3 after lazy 3, and a bonus #6), Brad totally let the team down at the end of a must-win game in fantastic fashion. We were just absolutely waxed.

See, at least 5 or 6 reasons above Hayward being mediocre. We all knew he did what he could; unfortunately it just wasn't enough. Best to him this offseason - I really do appreciate that he gave it a go with being injured and missing the birth of his son.
I'm more talking about the general criticism of Hayward being soft, which gets perpetuated here and a lot of other places; although I did see some of that criticism in the game thread last night too. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with people criticizing his play in games. I do that quite frequently with our players  ;D. Attacking someone playing through an injury when he could be with his newborn child by calling them soft, is just a baseless attack on his character imo.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This was really plain to see. His aggression and ability to finish inside was really poor compared to his FG% from 0-3 feet in the regular season, which had been 75% - that's DeAndre Jordan-level elite finishing.

He cops it more than anyone around here for being soft, or for not wanting to be there. But the fact of the matter is he missed the birth of his first son to be with the team, and compromised his health even further by doing so. Much respect to Gordy

Yeah he's done everything he can to come back from injury multiple times.

Just feels like the basketball gods don't want him to really have his moment in a Celtics jersey.

I'm betting he ends up elsewhere a couple years from now and plays a significant supporting role for a very good team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Just feels like the basketball gods don't want him to really have his moment in a Celtics jersey.

I'm betting he ends up elsewhere a couple years from now and plays a significant supporting role for a very good team.
That will make me quite depressed lol. He's been one of my faves since he was a 15PPG guy at Utah
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think your second paragraph really hits home for me. After last night's game, the general narrative on here seems to be that we're a very soft team, with Hayward getting the brunt of that criticism, as you said. What Hayward did for us this series is the farthest thing from soft. A "soft" person would have been like "Adios, team! I'm gonna kick back and relax to heal my injury. Perfect excuse to be with my wife and newborn son."

I think people were frustrated that Hayward couldn't give us more, but I haven't heard him blamed for last night - at least not in the top 5 reasons. 1) Theis had the worst game of his career, 2) Smart jacked up ridiculous 3s at inopportune times, 3) Kemba and Smart were constantly getting burned on the perimeter for easy lay-ups, 4) Tatum did not come to play from the start for the 3rd night in a row, 5) While MIA was attacking us in the 4th, we took lazy 3 after lazy 3, and a bonus #6), Brad totally let the team down at the end of a must-win game in fantastic fashion. We were just absolutely waxed.

See, at least 5 or 6 reasons above Hayward being mediocre. We all knew he did what he could; unfortunately it just wasn't enough. Best to him this offseason - I really do appreciate that he gave it a go with being injured and missing the birth of his son.
Yeah, it's not like Hayward was the difference. He was still better than whatever Ojeleye would have done - which is to say absolutely nothing. We let ourselves down. We were up 96-90 and then in the blink of an eye down 116-102. Insane run to give up in the 4th in an elimination game

It was the biggest moment of the series and we lost that particular moment. The team cracked under the pressure. It happens. That's what it all came down to unfortunately.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 05:53:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Should have stayed home with the baby. He was brutal to watch in game 6.

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:32 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't feel anything at this point re: Hayward.

I appreciate what he did playing through injury and missing the birth of his child to get onto the court.

It's not fair and not his fault at all, but at this point what it comes down to for me is that Hayward has been in a Celtic uniform for several years and has yet to really have a single major positive moment that sticks in my mind.

I'm entirely ready to see him get traded for multiple useful rotation pieces, if Danny can find a team interested in giving up some future salary for an expiring.

Seesssh tough crowd the guy is still important for this team. Like you said, it's not his fault he got hurt in key moments. This feels just as bad as the people wanting to trade Kemba after one year. I know people are still emotional after that elimination but come on it feels like everyone wants to blow it up.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 03:35:11 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah the Celtics.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
pretty much everybody who has experienced his injury knew that it take months many months to heal up . he was about 1/3 way though real recovery.  Now he maybe setback a bit from too early stress.

Why Im not blaming CBS .  He needed Gordy to beat the heat or have any chance of beating LA