Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120119 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #810 on: July 13, 2018, 05:30:36 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Brooklyn traded Lin so i can see Nets offering Smart some big bucks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #811 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They don’t have cap room after taking on Faried.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #812 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Can also see Nets offering Capela and Jabari Parker cash... Also could see them keeping 2.5 max salary slots open for next year's bonanza...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #813 on: July 13, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Can also see Nets offering Capela and Jabari Parker cash... Also could see them keeping 2.5 max salary slots open for next year's bonanza...

The Nets don’t have cap space for Capela, Parker, or anybody else. They just used it in the Faried trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #814 on: July 13, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
After these deals the only team with cap space left that can sign someone significant seems to be Sacramento.  Tough year for RFA's.  They will either have to sign cheaper deals at lower salaries for security or wait a year when the salary cap goes up but there is a ton of quality FA's next year. 

« Reply #815 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I am surprised by this (willing to pay the tax for Smart).  I am surprised Ainge said anything one way or the other.

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer
Signing Smart at anything more than the qualifying offer would almost certainly push Boston into the luxury tax this season, but Ainge suggested the team is ready to pay to field a title contender.

"It's my job to be fiscally responsible, but we will pay the tax," Ainge said. "We plan on being a taxpayer for sure."

Well, technically Danny didn't say that he was "willing to pay the tax for Smart".  He doesn't even say for sure that they plan on being a tax payer this coming season.  Just that they will pay the luxury tax and that they plan on being a taxpayer.

But that could mean next season.

It's typical Ainge.   Vague and non-committal.

That was my take, too. I get frustrated by the media’s lack of follow up. All we needed was a “This season?” Otherwise, the quote means virtually nothing.

He was talking about this season though. There was a question before the comment.

I just watched the Ainge media scrum and I didn't get the sense Danny was saying he was willing to go into the tax this season. Said Cs would be taxpayers, but that's hardly a revelation. Would be amazed if Ainge would answer any question that pinned him down to a certain action.

Would also be amazed if Danny did go into the tax just to sign Smart. Trade or stretch someone to make more room under the luxury tax to sign Smart? Sure. Sign Smart and go into the tax by a few million? Not a chance in hell. That would be stupid financially and these guys aren't stupid.

I maintain if they weren’t willing to go into the tax to keep Smart they wouldn’t have rushed to sign Baynes to a contract that’s more than most players of his ilk are getting this summer.  I’m sure it’s their preference to not go into the tax this summer, but I think they chose to put that option on the table with Baynes.

That seems like a stretch in logic.   Simpler explanation is that they simply prioritized Baynes more.  And from a roster construction standpoint prioritizing Baynes makes a ton of sense.  Of our various free agents, he was the one who plays a positional role we had the least depth.

They can still sign Smart without going over the tax threshold by either (a) waiting until he agrees to play for a number under 7.9M or (b) trading Morris in a salary move (that would probably help Morris go to a team where he'll get more minutes anyway).

But I suspect Danny's preference is (a) so he's probably going to wait as long as he needs to.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #816 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Can Nets buy out Faried then have room for a RFA?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #817 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
How does this trade sound (suggested by a friend of mine after dinner last night):

BOS sends Morris (5.375M) to HOU
HOU sends Nene (3.651M, 3.825M) to BOS
Low-level draft picks get sprinkled appropriately on the deal to make it work.

Why HOU does it:  To get rid of Nene and to replace some of what Ariza and a Moute' took out the door.  I.E., HOU needs a 'big wing'.

Why BOS does it:  BOS then stretches/waives Nene' out, reducing his cost to 2.49, saving just over 3M net over Morris' contract.   This Allows them to pay Smart at a starting salary of as much as 11M without going over.   If they waive Nader before the end of this month, they can clear another ~900K.  Though they may want to use that for Bird.

Morris will likely see his minutes squeezed given the return of Howard and the continued development of Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Yabusele and Semi.   So Houston would be a good fit for him since they have a need at his position.

Seems fairly straightforward.  Am I missing some obstacle?

Of course, Danny would only do this if he has to match an offer for Smart below the numbers I indicated.  If Smart comes back and signs the QO, then this wouldn't happen.  And if Smart comes back with a large offer sheet from say, SAC, for 14M, then this probably wouldn't happen either.

So Danny will wait before pulling the trigger.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #818 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm really quite curious what deal the C's have on the table at the moment, especially since it doesn't seem like Smart is getting an offer sheet from anyone at this point.

« Reply #819 on: July 13, 2018, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
How does this trade sound (suggested by a friend of mine after dinner last night):

Why HOU does it:  To get rid of Nene and to replace some of what Ariza and a Moute' took out the door.  I.E., HOU needs a 'big wing'.

Why BOS does it:  BOS then stretches/waives Nene' out, reducing his cost to 2.49, saving just over 3M net over Morris' contract.   This Allows them to pay Smart at a starting salary of as much as 11M without going over.   If they waive Nader before the end of this month, they can clear another ~900K.  Though they may want to use that for Bird.

Morris will likely see his minutes squeezed given the return of Howard and the continued development of Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Yabusele and Semi.   So Houston would be a good fit for him since they have a need at his position.

Of course, Danny would only do this if he has to match an offer for Smart below the numbers I indicated.  If Smart comes back and signs the QO, then this wouldn't happen.  And if Smart comes back with a large offer sheet from say, SAC, for 14M, then this probably wouldn't happen either.

Given that Boston's going to eventually wind up in repeater tax territory, it seems unwise to be paying for Nene over the next five years. That $7.5ish million is going to wind up awfully expensive over time. Plus, I'm pretty partial to Morris and keeping his Bird Rights heading into another crowded FA market in 2019 isn't a bad thing for an over-the-cap team.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:48:18 PM by bogg »

« Reply #820 on: July 13, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Crazy how this FA season is playing out.  Here are some of the remaining FAs that teams have to choose from:

Smart
Parker (Jabari, not Tony)
Okafor
Hood
Len
Napier
Capela
Harrell

Marcus is probably the best of this bunch but not by a whole lot in some cases.  Some may put Capela ahead of him.  Marcus should not take this personally.  There are some pretty good young players still waiting along with him.

« Reply #821 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just trade Smart

The marriage is over

To Nets for Hollis Jefferson and 2nd

Or

To Grizzlies for Green or Mclemore and 2nd

« Reply #822 on: July 13, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Given that Boston's going to eventually wind up in repeater tax territory, it seems inside to be paying for Nene over the next five years. That $7.5ish million is going to wind up awfully expensive over time. Plus, I'm pretty partial to Morris and keeping his Bird Rights heading into another crowded FA market in 2019 isn't a bad thing for an over-the-cap team.

Morris has positive value, why on earth would we trade him for a bad multi-year deal?

Some teams have trade exceptions (Portland, Toronto, Denver, Cavs, Bulls, Pistons) that could absorb him and several of them would probably love to have him on their roster. Even rebuilding teams might want him to potentially have him so they could trade him at the deadline. Other teams could feasibly make cap room to absorb him.

No way we take bad salary in return for him unless we're getting something really good out of it. If he were on the market right now he'd be one of the better remaining free agents, and is a better player than stiffs like Rodney Hood who might get more money than his salary.

« Reply #823 on: July 13, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Given that Boston's going to eventually wind up in repeater tax territory, it seems inside to be paying for Nene over the next five years. That $7.5ish million is going to wind up awfully expensive over time. Plus, I'm pretty partial to Morris and keeping his Bird Rights heading into another crowded FA market in 2019 isn't a bad thing for an over-the-cap team.

Morris has positive value, why on earth would we trade him for a bad multi-year deal?

Some teams have trade exceptions (Portland, Toronto, Denver, Cavs, Bulls, Pistons) that could absorb him and several of them would probably love to have him on their roster. Even rebuilding teams might want him to potentially have him so they could trade him at the deadline. Other teams could feasibly make cap room to absorb him.

No way we take bad salary in return for him unless we're getting something really good out of it. If he were on the market right now he'd be one of the better remaining free agents, and is a better player than stiffs like Rodney Hood who might get more money than his salary.

Portland is trying to win now, is capped out, and has terrible forwards. They should be eager to use a partial trade exemption to get Morris, who could even start for them. Maybe we could get a protected 1st, or a 2nd.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #824 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:37 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The best thing for Smart is to take the QO , bet on himself., and go into UFA next season.. He's one dimensional so improving his jumpshot could eventually lead him to a max contract somewhere ... not to mention if the C's take down the championship it will only enhance his value..