Author Topic: Bring back Aron Baynes?  (Read 2046 times)

Re: Bring back Aron Baynes?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Given how so many big man contracts have turned into awful deals teams are trying to dump I think they'll be able to retain him. I don't really think a team is going to go over the 5.2 per year mark for him.

I fear the Seventy Stinkers the most in this regard.

They've got money to spend and to weaken us at the same time strengthening themselves is a double win.

He'd be a great backup to Embiid and could spell him for extended lengths of time. I don't lijke the prospect of that at all.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Given how so many big man contracts have turned into awful deals teams are trying to dump I think they'll be able to retain him. I don't really think a team is going to go over the 5.2 per year mark for him.

They've got money to spend and to weaken us at the same time strengthening themselves is a double win.

He'd be a great backup to Embiid and could spell him for extended lengths of time. I don't lijke the prospect of that at all.

I don't know how much Baynes will cost, seems like prolly not that much, but simply based on Philly now being in the mix and how guarded Embiid, I want to keep him around. 

I'm hoping we can sign Smart to the MLE, re-up Baynes and still be under the cap.  Can anyone tell me how likely it's looking that this could be possible?

I'd also like to send Nader packing and give his spot to Jabari Bird, but that's another story.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I hope we can keep Baynes, but we're going to be very good next year. A lot of veterans are going to love the prospect of playing for the Celtics next season.

Smart teams don't overpay for bench role players. With the cap and luxury tax limitations, you just can't do that.

And as much as I like what Baynes has brought to the table, it isn't just Baynes. It's Brad Stephens and what the rest of the roster did around Baynes. Let's not pretend he was some highly sought after free agent. Baynes has likely experienced the Evan Turner effect.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And as much as I like what Baynes has brought to the table, it isn't just Baynes. It's Brad Stephens and what the rest of the roster did around Baynes. Let's not pretend he was some highly sought after free agent. Baynes has likely experienced the Evan Turner effect.

Not really in this case.  Baynes is basically the same player he’s always been.  He’s used a little differently but his production is in line with his norms.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I don't know how much Baynes will cost, seems like prolly not that much, but simply based on Philly now being in the mix and how guarded Embiid, I want to keep him around. 

I'm hoping we can sign Smart to the MLE, re-up Baynes and still be under the cap.  Can anyone tell me how likely it's looking that this could be possible?

I'd also like to send Nader packing and give his spot to Jabari Bird, but that's another story.

Signing Smart to the MLE would be a bad move.  We can resign him using Bird Rights, there's no reason to waste the MLE/limit the years we can give him/hard cap ourselves at the tax line
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not really in this case.  Baynes is basically the same player he’s always been.  He’s used a little differently but his production is in line with his norms.
Except for the whole I now shoot threes part.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Regular season he hit them at his career average (14%). The post-season has been really odd; I can’t remember the last time a guy went from a non-factor to showcasing a mastered skill in the playoffs. It’s like if one post-season Andre Drummond turned into a 90% FT shooter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Regular season he hit them at his career average (14%). The post-season has been really odd; I can’t remember the last time a guy went from a non-factor to showcasing a mastered skill in the playoffs. It’s like if one post-season Andre Drummond turned into a 90% FT shooter.
Regular season he barely shot threes if I recall correctly.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
absolutely .............. you're going to keep one of the end-of-bench guys instead of him ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett