Author Topic: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?  (Read 11687 times)

Re: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 11:58:48 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I agree with what you said  Neurotic guy, stuff I was talking about it going to far is stuff like

In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were forced to revolt for the right to say “Ho Ho Ho”, the traditional laugh of jolly old St. Nick. It turns out that their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), told all trainees that “ho ho ho” could frighten children and be derogatory to women

Reliable’ and 'hard-working’ – surely the two keystone employers look for in an employee? Well, maybe not: a Hertfordshire recruitment agency boss was once told she could not request those qualities – Jobcentre Plus in Thetford, Norfolk, told her such an advert could be "offensive” to unreliable people.

I think the PC stuff on race is long over due as we all of one race the human race and no one should have to endure such things, but some of this other PC stuff is well, nonsense.
But that is just false. There are several races with distinct features. We should celebrate this diversity, not just say we are all the same. Are all dogs the same? Or cats? Sure, they look similar, but are not the same. They can breed with one another, but have different genetic features and come from different parts of the world. How similar are an Aboriginal and an Inuit? I bet there is not a chance in this world you would mix them up

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I agree with what you said  Neurotic guy, stuff I was talking about it going to far is stuff like

In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were forced to revolt for the right to say “Ho Ho Ho”, the traditional laugh of jolly old St. Nick. It turns out that their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), told all trainees that “ho ho ho” could frighten children and be derogatory to women

Reliable’ and 'hard-working’ – surely the two keystone employers look for in an employee? Well, maybe not: a Hertfordshire recruitment agency boss was once told she could not request those qualities – Jobcentre Plus in Thetford, Norfolk, told her such an advert could be "offensive” to unreliable people.

I think the PC stuff on race is long over due as we all of one race the human race and no one should have to endure such things, but some of this other PC stuff is well, nonsense.
But that is just false. There are several races with distinct features. We should celebrate this diversity, not just say we are all the same. Are all dogs the same? Or cats? Sure, they look similar, but are not the same. They can breed with one another, but have different genetic features and come from different parts of the world. How similar are an Aboriginal and an Inuit? I bet there is not a chance in this world you would mix them up

I think your sentiments are likely well-intended but I'd be cautious with these type of comments (sorry to sound condescending but I'm being honest).  The basis for racist's justification for discrimination (or worse) is, and has always been, grounded in the "belief" that the races are fundamentally different.  I think I get what you are saying, but the difference in races should not be compared to the differences among dogs or cats.  Black, Caucasians, Asians... are not "breeds" of humans -- and from a genetic standpoint humans of different races are FAR more alike than different.   "Cultural" diversity stems not from skin color or physical characteristic differences but from uniqueness that has emanated over time from family histories, traditions, customs, foods, beliefs, arts, etc.  I agree these types of diversity should be celebrated.

But I'm likely far from the best person to respond to this and I'm not sure I said it very well, I just thought I needed to give it a shot.

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But that is just false. There are several races with distinct features. We should celebrate this diversity, not just say we are all the same. Are all dogs the same?

We are part of the human species, though, right?   There are a lot of culture differences and some distinct features. but dogs were bred to get their species features whereas, people were not.   Poor comparison showing a lack of scientific awareness and right in line with the corrupt science of Eugenics.   We did this will dogs and sadly at one point in history it was tried with humans.  This is how all dog species came to be breeding for specific features

The American eugenics movement was rooted in the biological determinist ideas of Sir Francis Galton, which originated in the 1880s. In 1883, Sir Francis Galton first used the word eugenics to describe scientifically, the biological improvement of genes in human races and the concept of being "well-born".[11] He believed that differences in a person's ability were acquired primarily through genetics and that eugenics could be implemented through selective breeding in order for the human race to improve in its overall quality, therefore allowing for humans to direct their own evolution.[12] In the US, eugenics was largely supported after the discovery of Mendel's law lead to a widespread interest in the idea of breeding for specific traits.[13] Galton studied the upper classes of Britain, and arrived at the conclusion that their social positions could be attributed to a superior genetic makeup.[14] They tended to believe in the genetic superiority of Nordic, Germanic and Anglo-Saxon peoples; supported strict immigration and anti-miscegenation laws; and supported the forcible sterilization of the poor, disabled and "immoral."[15] Eugenics was also supported by African American intellectuals such as W. E. B. Du Bois, Thomas Wyatt Turner, and many academics at Tuskegee University, Howard University, and Hampton University; however, they believed the best blacks were as good as the best whites and "The Talented Tenth" of all races should mix.[16] W. E. B. Du Bois believed "only fit blacks should procreate to eradicate the race's heritage of moral iniquity.

Now your not proposing this but thoughts are looking for specific traits have been used for sinister purpose and we have to tread lightly in this regard.

I think your sentiments are likely well-intended but I'd be cautious with these type of comments (sorry to sound condescending but I'm being honest).  The basis for racist's justification for discrimination (or worse) is, and has always been, grounded in the "belief" that the races are fundamentally differen

Agree, a lot of racism, is based on differences and declaring one race better than the others.   I know that was not his intent but realize that people have used it in the past to justify morally corrupt racist behavior.  He definitely was not doing that.    Celebration of difference is fine with me, but we have to realize that we are all humans.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:54:54 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
The commentator could have and should have said that Jackson is a master of the play fake and when the ball is wet, it gets darker and against the Ravens black jerseys the ball is almost impossible to see and track. Jackson’s skin color never should have been factored into the equation.

Imagine if Hayward was playing a tournament in China or Nigeria and instead of an announcer saying Hayward is “scary good,” he went on to say that Hayward's so white that he’s “like a ghost out there, you catch a flash of white out of the corner of your eye, and you’re momentarily distracted from the play and while you’re looking one way, the ball swings past you to Hayward cutting to the hoop and he scores!”

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The commentator could have and should have said that Jackson is a master of the play fake and when the ball is wet, it gets darker and against the Ravens black jerseys the ball is almost impossible to see and track. Jackson’s skin color never should have been factored into the equation.

Imagine if Hayward was playing a tournament in China or Nigeria and instead of an announcer saying Hayward is “scary good,” he went on to say that Hayward's so white that he’s “like a ghost out there, you catch a flash of white out of the corner of your eye, and you’re momentarily distracted from the play and while you’re looking one way, the ball swings past you to Hayward cutting to the hoop and he scores!”

Those seem like two different things.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

In what way exactly?

One example is a European American commentator that described inappropriately a perceived advantage an African American player had due to his skin color, and the other example is a Chinese or African commentator describing inappropriately a perceived advantage a White American player has due to his skin color.

Both examples gave situations wherein the comments could have been said without a reference to skin color or race.

Is it that basketball isn’t football?

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In what way exactly?

One example is a European American commentator that described inappropriately a perceived advantage an African American player had due to his skin color, and the other example is a Chinese or African commentator describing inappropriately a perceived advantage a White American player has due to his skin color.

Both examples gave situations wherein the comments could have been said without a reference to skin color or race.

Is it that basketball isn’t football?

It's plausible that a dark brown ball would be harder to see against a dark background.

It's not plausible that Asians would mistake a white man for a ghost.

It's more like saying that the basketball would be harder to pick up off the hand of somebody with Donald Trump's orange-ish complexion.  And, intuitively, that makes some sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes