Author Topic: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed  (Read 30188 times)

Re: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I say give the teams a number of calls they can argue per match, then have a ref with extensive access to TV cameras review it when onfield ref calls are questionable. It should and could really do the trick.

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=701150&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901
Kinda easy to say that after FIFA made their decision. I wonder what he would be saying if FIFA said to replay the game and then France lost.

Guy's got a consciense, I think admitting the handball before any action was taking by FIFA was proof of this.

If France lost said replay, I don't think Henry would be saying too much, his teammates and countrymen would be doing all the talking  ;)

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This topic is outrageous. Should the Patriots have been ashamed when they won the snow bowl game, because of a bad call? Anytime a call is blown in football in which a committed holding or pass intereference should they be ashamed? Were the Spurs ashamed when they beat the suns on some terrible officiating. You play to win redardless of what happens with the referees.

I feel that there is a decent amount of anti-french sentiment in the United States (which is outrageous), if it was the irish who did something illegal and had a blown call win them the game I doubt the word ashamed makes the title of the thread.

France should however be ashamed that those two games were that close. This reminds me of the second dream team. All the talent in the world, assume that they will win just because they stepped on the pitch. If they don't change their attitude they will get beat and beat badly in the cup. I think this is a wake up call and they end up showing up big time this sumemr.

Allez Les Bleus!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don`t think it`s an US antifrench sentiment. I`m pretty mad-frustrated about the game and i`m not american. Same i thinnk goes for the OP. There would have been a similar thread if it was Germany or England or another football powerhouse against Ireland. It`s more of a sympathy towards the weak. France had had an awful qualication round in general , not only the games agaist Ireland. They underachieve and nobody likes underachievers.

I doubt they`ll wake up though. Unless they change the coach(don`t see that happening)

And talking about awful officiating does anyone remember  the game korea-spain 7 years ago in the WC Japan?

« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »

Offline mrkelly

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
It's not about the French. It's about the game going down hill in the last few years. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Drogba, who aren't french mind you, popularizing diving, transfer bungs, match fixing allegations that surfaced (yet again) the other day, the brackets being seeded for the first time in forever for this playoff round to favor the big teams, etc.

This crap that is destroying the game just keeps compounding. Today it's the French, tomorrow is Sepp Blatter, the next day it's some other Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag. French or not.

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I feel that there is a decent amount of anti-french sentiment in the United States (which is outrageous), if it was the irish who did something illegal and had a blown call win them the game I doubt the word ashamed makes the title of the thread.

While you're probably right, I think that has more to do with the fact that the OP is Irish than that their is an anti-French sentiment in the United States. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I say give the teams a number of calls they can argue per match, then have a ref with extensive access to TV cameras review it when onfield ref calls are questionable. It should and could really do the trick.

The problem with soccer is that, like baseball, it's based on tradition.  The reason that soccer is so succesful is that everywhere you go, it's the same rules, and it's been the same since basically the birth of the sport.  I think it's hard to make replays and changing the rules because you'd be changing the purity of the game and there would be a lot opposition towards it.  They've been trying to change the flopping and some negative aspect of the game, but it's tough to change the way that has been for so long.  Especially with replays, it would be tough to add replays in one league (say English League) and not in other leagues (Spanish, Spanish).  Especially in poorer leagues and tournaments, which there are many going on simultaneously.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

The problem with soccer is that, like baseball, it's based on tradition.  The reason that soccer is so succesful is that everywhere you go, it's the same rules, and it's been the same since basically the birth of the sport.  I think it's hard to make replays and changing the rules because you'd be changing the purity of the game and there would be a lot opposition towards it.  They've been trying to change the flopping and some negative aspect of the game, but it's tough to change the way that has been for so long.  Especially with replays, it would be tough to add replays in one league (say English League) and not in other leagues (Spanish, Spanish).  Especially in poorer leagues and tournaments, which there are many going on simultaneously.

You already have added time for injuries, substitutions, etcetera. Just how hard would it be to add game footage review to that list? I'm surprised it's not been done yet.

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

You already have added time for injuries, substitutions, etcetera. Just how hard would it be to add game footage review to that list? I'm surprised it's not been done yet.

ACF is spot-on ... the only way to ever correct this problem and assess penalties and calls fairly, would be to add review time. If people aren't willing to do so, then they need to get used to this kind of thing happening. Humans are fallable by nature, and nothing's going to change that, but having IR will cut it down to a minimum. Teams and players have been getting away with these calls since the game was invented, this one just happened to be more obvious than most ... and more important.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

ACF is spot-on ... the only way to ever correct this problem and assess penalties and calls fairly, would be to add review time. If people aren't willing to do so, then they need to get used to this kind of thing happening. Humans are fallable by nature, and nothing's going to change that, but having IR will cut it down to a minimum. Teams and players have been getting away with these calls since the game was invented, this one just happened to be more obvious than most ... and more important.

But unlike other sports, where there's only one tournament then it's offseason, in soccer there are many tournaments going on.  In Brazil you have the State tournament, national and the Brazilian league, South American tournament and a couple of extras (under 21 tourneys, Rio-Sao Paulo tournament, etc).  So what I think it would be tougher would be to place in some tournaments and not in others.  The most logical would be to place it in the higher stake tourneys, like UEFA Champions League, but in those leagues you have to qualify for a national league.  I agree that they should add replay, but I am just adding some of the argument against it.  I think there would also be a lot of opposition about taking the purity away from the game.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think an instant replay would ruin the flow of the game.  You could really only replay goals and that would be it.  I personally would rather just leave the game as it is.  Officials miss calls once in a while, it happens.  If they called every single little thing, extra time would be an 10 minutes each half.  It wouldn't be worth it, instant replay would make the game too long.
do it