Author Topic: Bill Laimbeer + Dennis Rodman + Ron Artest = Elizabeth Lambert  (Read 23253 times)

Re: Bill Laimbeer + Dennis Rodman + Ron Artest = Elizabeth Lambert
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I'm only commenting as a response to those who are dissing these BYU girls for not fighting back:

Life is bigger than sports. I'm familiar enough with BYU students (mostly Mormons) to know that they are ultimately people attempting (even if very imperfectly) to live lives modeled after the principles taught by Jesus Christ. The first thought I had after seeing this video was that those BYU girls exemplified the principle of "turning the other cheek" during that game. Like RAcker and others have noted, I'm sure the BYU girls weren't exactly innocent (we saw at least one elbow thrown by a BYU girl), but they did seem to stay above the fray when Lambert got dirty.

Regardless of how much value exists in having a competitive spirit and standing up for yourself (both in sports and in life), it ultimately does not outweigh the value of treating others with kindness and respect - even if they don't deserve it.
TP and more well-spoken than any of my comments.

Ditto.

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm only commenting as a response to those who are dissing these BYU girls for not fighting back:

Life is bigger than sports. I'm familiar enough with BYU students (mostly Mormons) to know that they are ultimately people attempting (even if very imperfectly) to live lives modeled after the principles taught by Jesus Christ. The first thought I had after seeing this video was that those BYU girls exemplified the principle of "turning the other cheek" during that game. Like RAcker and others have noted, I'm sure the BYU girls weren't exactly innocent (we saw at least one elbow thrown by a BYU girl), but they did seem to stay above the fray when Lambert got dirty.

Regardless of how much value exists in having a competitive spirit and standing up for yourself (both in sports and in life), it ultimately does not outweigh the value of treating others with kindness and respect - even if they don't deserve it.
I always focused on the BYU guys like Danny Ainge who had no qualms with having enforcers on his teams like Perk, KG, and Sheed and Jim McMahon who seemed pretty competitive.  I didn't realize this about BYU students.

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Both of those are embraced in other sports though.  You are allowed to tackle by the hair in football and punching is one of the main attractions of hockey.  I root for somebody to tackle polamalu by the hair every week, especially after it happened once and the dude actually pulled some of it out. 

Im not condoning it, but lets not act like we havent seen it before, its just the context within which we see it now that is getting everybody up in arms.  Non-news in my opinion.

Well, isn't context everything?  If you got violently pulled down by the hair while walking down the hallway at your office, would your first thought be, "Well, it's not like I haven't seen this before"?  Doubtful.  I can't actually recall a tackle like that in football (yanking the neck from behind and away from the play --   my guess is it would be a personal foul, an ejection and a suspension), and I certainly know that doing that in basketball would be an ejection and suspension.  Heck, throw a punch or commit a Flagrant 2 in the NBA and you are ejected.  This hair pull was from behind, not immediately provoked (not a kneejerk reaction) and seemed to be done with enough force to cause serious damage.   It IS news just as Dennis Rodman kicking the cameraman and Kermit Wahington laying out Rudy Tomjanovich was news.

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Quite honestly this is why I'd never want Jesus for a teammate in a contact sport though. I'd take him as a buddy, or a rabbi, or a teacher, or a savior, but for a teammate give me Perk or McHale. Or maybe Moses to send plagues on the other team.

Pharaoh! Stop fouling my teammates!  Yep, definitely Moses. And not Malone either. Well maybe Malone, but I mean the first one. 

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

Quite honestly this is why I'd never want Jesus for a teammate in a contact sport though. I'd take him as a buddy, or a rabbi, or a teacher, or a savior, but for a teammate give me Perk or McHale. Or maybe Moses to send plagues on the other team.

Pharaoh! Stop fouling my teammates!  Yep, definitely Moses. And not Malone either. Well maybe Malone, but I mean the first one. 
You make an fair point there. Though Moses would be the better enforcer, Jesus might be great playing the point - dropping dimes like no other. "Giving" was his specialty in life after all...

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You make an fair point there. Though Moses would be the better enforcer, Jesus might be great playing the point - dropping dimes like no other. "Giving" was his specialty in life after all...
I think he'd make an excellent shooting coach due to high patience.