Author Topic: Boston Celtics and Glasgow Celtic(cool stuff)  (Read 15692 times)

Boston Celtics and Glasgow Celtic(cool stuff)
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I've been a fan of both Celtic and the Celtics my entire life, and always assumed that there was some kind of link between the two. 

The soccer team was formed in a section of Glasgow filled with poor Irish immigrants and I'm pretty sure that the Boston celtics were derived from the NY celtics.  I have to imagine the NY celtics got their name from the soccer team in glasgow but I thats not documneted or anything.

I know the the fans in here would enjoy seeing that video of You'll never walk alone sung at Celtic Park.  It really is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in sports.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkO58XYvBN8&feature=related

People always talk about Yankees/Redsox as being the #1 rivalry in sports.  I usually just laught it off. In my mind theres nothing like Celtic/Rangers in Glasgow.  Its actually drawn across religious lines, it's passionate, and unfortunately often extremely violent.  But what do you exppect when you mix sports with religion

Re: Boston Celtics and Glasgow Celtic(cool stuff)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
Did a little research...

From NBA.com:

The name seemingly grew out of a conversation between Brown and Howie McHugh, a member of the Garden's publicity staff and the man assigned to handle the basketball entity. Both men suggested several nicknames, including Whirlwinds, Unicorns and Olympics. But it was Brown, who suddenly exclaimed, "Wait, I've got it - the Celtics. We'll call them the Boston Celtics!" Brown excitedly went on, "The name has a great basketball tradition from the old Original Celtics in New York. And, Boston is full of Irishmen. We'll put them in green uniforms and call them the Boston Celtics!"
McHugh tried in vain to talk with, negotiate and dissuade Brown not to use the name Celtics, but Brown's mind had clearly reached a final decision and that would be the end of that conversation.

The Original Celtics were themselves an offshoot of a team called "New York Celtics", as reported on the Hall Of Fame site:
http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Celtics%20Original.htm

"With flair and quality fundamentals, the Original Celtics got basketball off to a new style and pace in the 1920s, bringing the pro game its first national attention. Using teenage players from Manhattan's West Side, Frank McCormack formed the team as the New York Celtics in 1914. The team disbanded during World War I, but was reformed as the Original Celtics in 1918 by promoter James Furey".

Honestly, we cannot say that the New York Celtics did or did not take the name from the Glasgow Celtic. We are deep into the realm of speculation, because only Frank McCormack could have told us the truth, but one could argue that Glasgow is in Scotland and not in Ireland... anyway, I am sure the Original Celtics (who got the name from the New York Celtics) and the Boston Celtics (who got their name from the Original Celtics) did not have their teams named after the Glasgow soccer team.
Check this site too:

Re: Boston Celtics and Glasgow Celtic(cool stuff)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
I've been fortunate enough to see both the Celtics at home in the old Garden, and been to around 15 games at Celtic Park.

The atmosphere at Celtic Park is easily the best at any football stadium I've been to and an 'Old Firm' game against Rangers is just unforgettable.

Hail Hail, The Celts are here..