Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 206125 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1155 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think 2014 is a big Summer even outside of Lebron. Let me get back to you.

Ya, it's yuge http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

Yeah but if you're going by the rules of the exercise, only guys not kept or who were kept but wont be signed are available. Limits it to Wade, Iggy, and a few others.

Meh, I think thats a dumb rule.

Especially if, and that's not the case in Cleveland, a guy spends to the ceiling past2014 when he has to resign his two young keepers, we should just assume he keeps them anyway?

« Reply #1156 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah but if you're going by the rules of the exercise, only guys not kept or who were kept but wont be signed are available. Limits it to Wade, Iggy, and a few others.

Especially if, and that's not the case in Cleveland, a guy spends to the ceiling past2014 when he has to resign his two young keepers, we should just assume he keeps them anyway?

Teams have a right of first refusal on their keepers.  However, that wouldn't allow any team to go over a hard cap.

Interestingly, I'm not sure if it has been established that teams can use the right of first refusal on keepers they acquire in trade. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1157 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Is the rule known as the "Irving/Bynum amendment"?

« Reply #1158 on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think this is something the rule has accounted for, or at least it's implied. You can't draft players that put you over the cap, you can't make trades that put you over the cap, so logically you can't resign players to contracts that put you over the cap.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1159 on: March 04, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No sir! I got that cap space. Did you miss my 1,000 word magnum opus on the previous page? C'mon, son!

« Reply #1160 on: March 04, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

No sir! I got that cap space. Did you miss my 1,000 word magnum opus on the previous page? C'mon, son!

I read it, but I'm also assuming Bynum's going ton continue to cost you 15 mil a season. With an Irving extension you've got about 40 mil tied up between Bynum, Irving and Anderson.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:39:34 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #1161 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I read it, but I'm also assuming Bynum's going ton continue to cost you 15 mil a season.

Yerp, me too, although you'd think some shred of humanity within the guy would incline him to take less since he just got paid 16 million to sit at home with his friends and play video games.

But even if he does, my cap number is around 52 million. Leaves me with an even 20 to resign my guys and future picks, and when Irving is up for an extension, Jason Richardson is coming off the books, so that's what, 7 million more right there?

« Reply #1162 on: March 04, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
OR Irving calls up his good friends, Paul George and Derrick "Polished and Developed" Favors and says "Hey guys, let's go to BEAN TOWN!"

Because a. the cap space I have, b. no one from Boston actually uses the term 'Bean Town'

« Reply #1163 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
OR Irving calls up his good friends, Paul George and Derrick "Polished and Developed" Favors and says "Hey guys, let's go to BEAN TOWN!"

Because a. the cap space I have, b. no one from Boston actually uses the term 'Bean Town'

You must be anthony bourdain, cuz you're trippin.

« Reply #1164 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Teams have a right of first refusal on their keepers.  However, that wouldn't allow any team to go over a hard cap.

Interestingly, I'm not sure if it has been established that teams can use the right of first refusal on keepers they acquire in trade.
Given that some franchise's "hard cap" is vastly different than others I think in future years even who'd be a tax payer would largely be up for grabs. Some teams never would of course, but others (Dallas for example) have paid heavy tax before.

« Reply #1165 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That's interesting, I guess I must have missed this part.  You're basically implying that whatever an individual team's specific salary cap number currently is, will be their number in perpetuity.  That's asinine.

If the real NBA allows teams to go over their cap to sign their own FA's, I see no reason we should be denied that same hypothetical right.

I think a fair compromise, for the purposes of this excercise would be to allow teams to exceed their cap in order to re-sign keepers (or keepers aquired in a trade involving other keepers, i.e. Kobe for DWill or Gortat for Lopez), and players that have contracts that run a minimum of three years (the period to establish full bird-rights), including the current season.

« Reply #1166 on: March 04, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Oh boy. Hope I didn't open Pandora's box. All I wanted to state is that I thought I did a good job not taking on any bad contracts.

« Reply #1167 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Oh boy. Hope I didn't open Pandora's box. All I wanted to state is that I thought I did a good job not taking on any bad contracts.

If you had opened a pandora's bracelet, what bead would you have chosen to commemorate your success at not acquiring any bad contracts?

« Reply #1168 on: March 04, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Nah, I'm not gonna get into a big debate over it.  Just wanted to make a point.

The majority of my players are locked up for a few years anyway, at which point, I'll be in rebuilding mode.  Kobe is the alpha and omega for my team, so when he is done, it's blow-up city.  I figure I got two, maybe three, seasons to win rings.

Boozer has two years left after this (one more than Kobe/Gortat).  If Kobe wants to retire at that point, I'll just tank, let Gortat go and wait for Boozer (and a few others) to come off the books, re-up Kawhi, still have Hill locked up for reasonable money, and go after FA's then.

The only player I would stand to lose in the near future might be Blatche.  His one-year vet min contract he is currently on is a steal.  He's going to get paid decently by someone next year.  My only hope of keeping him is the $6.5m that represents Antoine's expiring contract.  If I'm really lucky, Camby officially retires at seasons end, freeing up an additional $4.5m.

« Reply #1169 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

If you had opened a pandora's bracelet, what bead would you have chosen to commemorate your success at not acquiring any bad contracts?

Probably a cookie for 'smart cookie.' Mostly because that's the lamest thing I could think of.