Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 206166 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1140 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Celtics could really use them some Wayne Ellington. Excited to see the rest of the evaluation

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1141 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
PICK 2: BOSTON CELTICS
SELF EVALUATION

ROSTER

C: Tim Duncan
PF: Kevin Garnett
SF: Shane Battier
SG: Jared Dudley
PG: Jeremy Lin

JR Smith, Jason Kidd, Chris Kaman
Epke Udoh, Alan Anderson
Rashard Lewis, Tyshawn Taylor

So admittedly, I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of the 'this is Garnett and Duncan and a huge drop-off.' I think statements like that discount how incredible this combination could be: TWO 7 footers who are strong post players, elite mid range jump shooters, legendary passers, and unparalleled drive to win. While on the defensive side creating nightmares for anyone who even thinks of driving in the paint.

I see other teams consider declare them 'by far the best', but I ask what in the world they could do to stop these two monters in the post in a 7 game series.

During the Sloan Conference, Stan Van Gundy used JJ Reddick as an example of a player who could be an elite defensive player despite his obvious athletic limitations. Citing that while Reddick wasn't individually a great defender, he bought into the system and was great in his role.

That's how I view my perimeter players. Individually, they're not elite. But in an offense that runs itself through Garnett and Duncan, they could be elite in their role.

I'm asking Jeremy Lin, Harvard Basketball alumni, to be smart and shoulder less work than he's used to: Moving the ball side to side (something he's done well in Houston) to get the ball into the post, or occasionally creating through pick and roll (something he did extremely well in New York) when getting the ball in the post proves to be a challenge.

I've used the Memphis Grizzlies as an example a few times - They're a team that pounces on the mismatches that having two elite post players provides. And because that's how they run their offense, they don't necessarily need a Rudy Gay on the wing. While he might be an elite player, his ability to shot create certainly is - he's not elite in the role. Because what the Grizzlies need is a smart player who can stand in the corner, hit open 3's, make smart passes, and occasionally make a smart cut to create an easy layup.

In a system with Garnett & Duncan, overall skillset isn't as important as your ability to do one or two things really well. That's where I think guys like Battier and Dudley excel: They've proven before that they can flourish in this role. 

I'm sure I've ran long enough that pretty much no one's reading so I'll try to keep the bench players short -

JR Smith is JR Smith. He can get really hot, he's really good in catch and shoot opportunities, and has some ability to create for himself if I feel the offense needs that. He's also a pretty underrated defender, and for some reason he's really rebounding the ball well right now.

Getting Jason Kidd was important to me - anyone whose watched enough Knicks games know that his presence brings that 'make the extra pass' culture. It's kind fo crazy the difference in the team when he is and isn't playing.

I wanted to get Kaman to give me the ability to be relentless with pushing the ball int he post. And since I don't want to stretch Duncan and KG in the regular season I thought he'd be a great addition.

Udoh's a wild animal I can release for 5-10 minutes to use his athleticism. Alan Anderson is a reliable 2-3 I can use if Kidd is hurt or for spot minutes if JR Smith is being bad JR Smith. Rashard Lewis gives me the ability to stretch the floor in the second unit. And I really like Tyshawn Taylor as a prospect.

CONTINUING STILL

Great write up Orien. My big question with the Celtics is if the shot clock is winding down or it is a tight game, who can create their own offense?

I think at this point we can admit that Duncan and KG have trouble creating their own offense. Great when they get the ball fed in the post and have a little time to set up and operate but when there is 6 seconds on the shot clock im not sure they will be successful.

Which then leads me to Lin and JR. JR is probably your most talented offensive player straight up but im not sure I like the fact that he is who gets the ball to create something as his shot selection has long been questioned and I wonder how effective he would be not playing off of a Carmelo.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1142 on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The Celtics could really use them some Wayne Ellington. Excited to see the rest of the evaluation

she's mostly done now, i'm sure I'll catch a thousand grammar issues and fix 15 of them.

« Reply #1143 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I'll do more tomorrow. StartOrien and Who are due, theyve commented on other people's rosters as much as anyone. If you want me to do one for you, do a real in depth one (or more) about someone else.

We've talked a little IP about my love/hate relationship with Andrew Bynum. When healthy I believe he can surpass Dwight Howard as the best center in the game. Problem is, I'm not sure he will ever be healthy.

However you did a great job surrounding him with Irving (who we all know just won the 3 point contest) and Anderson who is probably the best stretch four in the game in my opinion. The only thing I wish you would have done was grab a "3 and D" type guy like a Courtney Lee, Danny Green, Thabo Seflosha, ect. All of which I think would be great fits on this team. I also worry a little about your rim protection when Bynum is off the court as neither Zeller or Anderson is a shot blocker or a feared rim protector. I think somebody like a Brendan Haywood would be a great back up for this role and also provide some veteran leadership.

That being said, you have the best PG prospect in the league and the best C prospect in the league and the rest of the supporting cast is still very young.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1144 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Two years of competing, then everyone's pretty much off the books. I don't think I need to embellish too far on this, just wanna say 'Hey' to my friend Kyrie.

A) Part of game is that its assumed you resign your keepers, I kept Kyrie.

B) Ain't nobody gonna want to sign with your tired old butt. That's like Danny Glover giving Beyonce a 'whats wrong?? U wanna talk?' on a facebook update that says 'Even when u love someone it doesn't mean u see eye to eye all the time. #Confused'

C) Yeah, I know. I'm also now lost in a fantasy world where celebrities are only facebook friends with each other and treat each other like kids that all go to the same highschool. Ride it out man.

« Reply #1145 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Great write up Orien. My big question with the Celtics is if the shot clock is winding down or it is a tight game, who can create their own offense?

I think at this point we can admit that Duncan and KG have trouble creating their own offense. Great when they get the ball fed in the post and have a little time to set up and operate but when there is 6 seconds on the shot clock im not sure they will be successful.

Which then leads me to Lin and JR. JR is probably your most talented offensive player straight up but im not sure I like the fact that he is who gets the ball to create something as his shot selection has long been questioned and I wonder how effective he would be not playing off of a Carmelo.

In a traditional sense, JR and Lin are two guys who could dribble the ball to create for themselves. But that's really not what the offense is about - the offense is more to try to feed it in the post, see an opportunity and if it's not there, kick it out and rotate to the other side (while looking for an open 3 on the way there). And since there's strong post players, I think most time you'll be able to get the ball to Duncan or Garnett where they're at least capable of getting a look at a midrange jumper.

I think shot creation can be overrated though, or at least give it some thought - would I rather have a guy who could create his own shot (again, Rudy Gay) or would I rather look to pound the inside guessing that my opponent will have a weak defender at either the 4 or the 5 (if not both).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:40:17 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #1146 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Two years of competing, then everyone's pretty much off the books. I don't think I need to embellish too far on this, just wanna say 'Hey' to my friend Kyrie.

B) Ain't nobody gonna want to sign with your tired old butt. That's like Danny Glover giving Beyonce a 'whats wrong?? U wanna talk?' on a facebook update that says 'Even when u love someone it doesn't mean u see eye to eye all the time. #Confused'

C) Yeah, I know. I'm also now lost in a fantasy world where celebrities are only facebook friends with each other and treat each other like kids that all go to the same highschool. Ride it out man.

Drink your coffee so you can get back to me with some facts like "He's an RFA the year you create all your cap space. We'd never let him go."

And then since you're laying a fact bomb on me you'd then balance it with a compliment like 'still, that's a lot of cap room to attract some major free agents with.'

« Reply #1147 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

not sure I have a clue what you said there but I just died laughing
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #1148 on: March 04, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Drink your coffee so you can get back to me with some facts like "He's an RFA the year you create all your cap space. We'd never let him go."

And then since you're laying a fact bomb on me you'd then balance it with a compliment like 'still, that's a lot of cap room to attract some major free agents with.'

That is a lot of cap room, but I wonder who the FA you'd be attracting would be (since I wondered the same thing about my team and came up with nada).

But to the actual write-up: KG and Duncan (K-Dunc? Timett?) is of course the best frontcourt in the league. I like the rest of your lineup as well, although as I've mentioned Id personally go Lin/Kidd/Battier/KG/Duncan. And hey, I'll tell ya why!

Duds is a good player and has some very useful skillsets, but guarding 2 guards really isn't one of them. That's why Phoenix starts PJ Tucker. Moving Duds to the bench also means you have 3 capable scorers maybe 4 depending on how high you are on Alan Anderson, guys on the bench to change the look of any given lineup, and keep energy up for the 20 minutes a night the twin towers are out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:53:22 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #1149 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I think 2014 is a big Summer even outside of Lebron. Let me get back to you.

Ya, it's yuge http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

« Reply #1150 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Cousins v. Bynum
Thad Young v. Anderson
MKG v. Barnes
Beal v. Stephenson
Lawson v. Irving

Drummond
Monroe
Parsons
Lee
Collison

Got next.

« Reply #1151 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I like the rest of your lineup as well, although as I've mentioned Id personally go Lin/Kidd/Battier/KG/Duncan. And hey, I'll tell ya why!

Duds is a good player and has some very useful skillsets, but guarding 2 guards really isn't one of them. That's why Phoenix starts PJ Tucker. Moving Duds to the bench also means you have 3 capable scorers maybe 4 depending on how high you are on Alan Anderson, guys on the bench to change the look of any given lineup, and keep energy up for the 20 minutes a night the twin towers are out.

Agreed -- I think that is Boston's best starting unit too.

I don't like J.Dudley starting at the two. Too slow. He is an out and out forward. I like Battier starting over Dudley at SF. Better man-to-man defender. Jason Kidd best option to start at SG because he offers a secondary ball-handler and ball mover. Strong decision maker. Lessen turnovers + improve execution of offense.

« Reply #1152 on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah but if you're going by the rules of the exercise, only guys not kept or who were kept but wont be signed are available. Limits it to Wade, Iggy, and a few others.

« Reply #1153 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah but if you're going by the rules of the exercise, only guys not kept or who were kept but wont be signed are available. Limits it to Wade, Iggy, and a few others.

Meh, I think thats a dumb rule.

« Reply #1154 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I like the rest of your lineup as well, although as I've mentioned Id personally go Lin/Kidd/Battier/KG/Duncan. And hey, I'll tell ya why!

Agreed -- I think that is Boston's best starting unit too.

I don't like J.Dudley starting at the two. Too slow. He is an out and out forward. I like Battier starting over Dudley at SF. Better man-to-man defender. Jason Kidd best option to start at SG because he offers a secondary ball-handler and ball mover. Strong decision maker. Lessen turnovers + improve execution of offense.

If we can go 'inside the writer's studio' for a moment - I agree with you, but it made an easier write up to say Battier and Dudley at the 2 and the 3 because it illustrates my point easier.