Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 206139 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1065 on: March 01, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So y'all don't wanna talk cavs huh? That's fine. But, if ya did,

Irving/Thomas
Stephenson/Ellington
Barnes/Harris
Anderson/Cunningham/Teletovic
Bynum/Zeller/Greg Smith

Obviously this is not my teams minutes breakdowns, but, that's me.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1066 on: March 01, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

Irving/Thomas
Stephenson/Ellington
Barnes/Harris
Bynum/Zeller/Greg Smith

Start Tobias over Barnes  ;) ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #1067 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Irving/Thomas
Stephenson/Ellington
Barnes/Harris
Bynum/Zeller/Greg Smith

It's a well-constructed roster.  However, if Bynum isn't healthy, the team just doesn't work.  Anderson and Zeller would get murdered playing together in the front court. 

As much as I like Irving, I think your team would struggle except for the one year Bynum finally plays a healthy season.  During that year, your team could be dominant.  Probability tells us, though, that Bynum is going to suffer a major injury in at least 4 of the next 5 years.

(And yes, the big guy suffered yet another set back last week, and is probably out for the season.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1068 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Saw that Roy, been convienitently (sp?) not mentioning it.

But still, best euro import currently on the bench, with a buyout? I feel like I improved th team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1069 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
So looks like this is the end of the road. Had a couple more deals I would of liked to push through but they didn't work out. Overall, learned a ton about how these drafts work and had a lot of fun.

So how's the team look? Comments will get a TP
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1070 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
So looks like this is the end of the road. Had a couple more deals I would of liked to push through but they didn't work out. Overall, learned a ton about how these drafts work and had a lot of fun.

What happened to Kirk Hinrich?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #1071 on: March 01, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

What happened to Kirk Hinrich?

I traded him as part of the Jamal Crawford deal
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1072 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chicago is amused by theblsck of respect its getting.

Chocago ia fine though, as if teams can score on them...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1073 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You mustn't have heard: Jason Smith out for the season with torn labrum. Announced tonight.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #1074 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Overall, learned a ton about how these drafts work and had a lot of fun.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with this too, but more importantly learned some valuable lessons I will need to keep in mind if I decide to do any furher drafts here.

Basically, the biggest take away for me was, people's perceptions of players is almost as important as anything if you want to "win".  It's become apparent to me there are a few players, some deserving and some not, who are rather universally loathed here.

I don't say this to belittle anyone, and considering the whole premie is based in subjectivity, it just took me by surprise a little when it probably shouldn't have.

I'm extremely confident in my own abilities to assess talent and how to properly assemble a cohesive roster, but now see there is a little more to it than just that.

« Reply #1075 on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

Did you ever get over the cap floor?  Your sig still shows 39M, which is well below it.  Anyway, wall of text coming.

PG:  A bit disappointing, given the overall depth at the PG position in this league, that Bledsoe was what you ended up with as a starter.  I love him as an energy guy off the bench.  As a starter, not so much.  Having said that, if his efficient deep shooting this year turns out to be more than a fluke, then I do think he fits well with Mayo.  He's a guy who can hide Mayo on defense to an extent, and if his jumpshot is legit then you may be able to get by with him starting.  Teague, on the other hand, is a project who isn't ready to contribute.

SG:  Mayo will probably be your primary ballhandler.  He should be a guy who can get you 20 a game, albeit on a lot of shots, and he flashes an ability to create for others as well.  On the negative side, he's not really a positive on defense and will need good defenders around him to hide his negative impact.  Bledsoe and George fit that bill, but Humphries and Vucevic do not.  Belinelli is a similarly flawed defender off the bench, but he can create shots for himself and others and will be a net positive overall.  Best player on your bench.  Jenkins is a nice little project with good potential as a sharpshooter. 

SF:  George is obviously the centerpiece of this team and is a good two-way player.  He's too inefficient to be the top dog on offense, but with Mayo likely handling those duties he should do pretty well.  Still, he's a mismatch with too much length and athleticism for many SF's to handle.  Unfortunately, he'll have to play a ton of minutes because neither Turkoglu nor Beasley is a positive asset on the court.  Beasley is running out of time to prove that he can help a team. 

PF:  A return to the starting spot may be the boost Humphries needs.  At his best, he's the best garbageman in the NBA.  Great offensive rebounder and can score a little without ever having his number called.  But why has his production dropped so much this year?  Is he just another player who mailed it in once he started getting paid?  Behind him, Randolph is another guy whose time is running out.  Not sure he'll ever be a valuable contributor.  If there's a silver lining, though, it's that this will be his first opportunity to get steady minutes since he came into the league.  Maybe that will turn the key for him.

C:  Vucevic is a nice young player, but many of his skills duplicate what Humphries offers.  One garbageman is a great asset, but two is a bit redundant and they hurt each other's production.  Also, both players are below average defenders and will allow many easy shots at the rim.  A bit disappointing that you didn't pair a potentially good perimeter defense with a defensive anchor in the paint.  Milicic is overrated by this site; he really isn't that good.  Just play Leonard.  He's not really ready to contribute yet, but with this team you can afford to let him learn on the job. 

Overall, it's a team with only two real scorers, poor interior defense, and a weak bench.  Having said that, George is a good player to build around and you have some guys with some nice potential.  You'll spend some years in the lottery, but with some luck in the draft this could turn into a decent team for the future. 

« Reply #1076 on: March 02, 2013, 07:00:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

I would lineup like so:

PG: Marco Belinelli, Eric Bledsoe
OG: OJ Mayo, (P.George)
SF: Paul George, Hedo Turkoglu
PF: Michael Beasley, Kris Humphries
C:  Nikola Vucevic, Meyers Leonard

Deep reserves: John Jenkins, Evan Fournier, Anthony Randolph, Darko Milicic.

I think that is a pretty good team. 9 man rotation.

I would start Beasley because he is both the best individual player + the best fit alongside N.Vucevic. His jump-shooting and scoring ability at the big forward slot gives your team a good boost offensively.

Kris Humphries is too limited offensively and defensively to be starting alongside a player like Vucevic. Good garbage man big. He will be valuable off the bench.

I would start Belinelli over Bledsoe because I have always loved Belinelli's potential at PG and never really liked him as a SG.

I rate Belinelli as the superior floor general, playmaker, jump-shooter and scorer at the PG position over Bledsoe. Bledsoe with the superior defense and possession creation. I think Marco's superior offensive skill-set is a better fit in that starting lineup. It will create more stability within the team.

I like Bledsoe more in that backup PG where he can create mayhem off the bench with his energy and defensive ability. I also like having Hedo Turkoglu come off the bench alongside him because of Hedo's high level ball-handling and strong playmaking out of the pick and roll. Hedo will help take some pressure offensively off of Bledsoe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:05:49 AM by Who »

« Reply #1077 on: March 02, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You mustn't have heard: Jason Smith out for the season with torn labrum. Announced tonight.

Dang it.

I guess Moultrie needs to step up now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1078 on: March 02, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The new-look Miami Heat:
Starters
Lebron James, Chris Bosh, Emeka Okafor, Brandon Knight, Mo Williams

Bench:
Guards: Lou Williams, Jordan Crawford,
SF: John Salmons, Omri Casspi
PF: Chris Copeland ,  Kyle O'Quinn
Center: BJ Mullens, Kurt Thomas

Beat that.

Why did you go with a small backcourt of Mo Williams + Brandon Knight?

You know, Miami would have been my hands down favorite if not for the terrible back-court situation.  Okafor, Bosh & LeBron is nasty.

Unfortunately, Miami's two best guards (Williams brothers) are injured and out indefinitely.  Knight is too inexperineced, and Crawford isn't worth discussing.
That's it?  the worst criticism is that the backcourt is short and that Knight isn't experienced?  He's got more than Rondo had in the 2008 season.

Granted, Lou and Mo are hurt at the moment but this is a team that will be a contender for years.  No one ready for retirement or breaking down except maybe Salmons.  a number of players developing into their prime or in it now.

I think it's a pretty solid contender.

So ... why did you choose to go with a small backcourt of Mo Williams and Brandon Knight?

I am just wondering. It seemed strange to me at the time.

You went big in the frontcourt with Okafor and Bosh together. It looked like you were going with a defensive first team. That can grind you down and beat you up. You know, a physical team. Powerful. LeBron, Bosh and Okafor.

Then you went with two undersized guards in Mo Williams and Brandon Knight. The opposite. Two guys who can be overpowered physically / athletically. Dodgy defensively. Neither guy has been dominant offensively. 

The fit seems odd to me. What were you hoping from them? What advantage did you see them bringing to the table for your team?

« Reply #1079 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Dang it.

I guess Moultrie needs to step up now.

Is that Danny Green (D.Green at SF) in your team sig?

Did you make a trade?