Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50518 times)

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Now some reports are saying it is Lewis for Arenas not Carter.

Yea, it seems that they are looking to make 2 different trades....Lewis for Arenas and Carter + Gortat for someone else.

Further, Kennedy says Magic franchise center Dwight Howard is pushing the team to make a deal, and Orlando continues to shop a package of swingman Vince Carter and backup center Marcin Gortat elsewhere around the league

...From Kennedy's report:

One league source believes the roster changes in Orlando are being made to appease Dwight Howard, who hasn't been in a rush to sign a contract extension with the organization. Howard could opt out of his contract after next season and the Magic will do whatever it takes to keep their franchise player happy.

Suns, Nuggets and Blazers have been mentioned as potential trade partners in the second deal.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Arenas has played in the playoffs.  His average in the playoff is 24.2 PPG.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=arenagi01

I know he's been to the playoffs. He made it out if the first round once and his team was swept in the 2nd round that year.

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Houston should look to get involved in the second deal...Gortat would be a great fit for them now that Yao is out for the season.

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Now some reports are saying it is Lewis for Arenas not Carter. I dont see that making sense as it would give the Magic no front line depth what so ever....

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18226

Other reports claim Carter and Lewis are both going to go to D.C. Side note...Lewis has the second largest contract in the league? Yikes-a-mundo.
I hope it turns out to be Lewis because he has been a pain to the Celtics since being in Orlnado with his scoring.

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The two deals are almost done/official!

It will be Rashard Lewis for Arenas, straight up, with no other players involved.

The second trade is the following : Pietrus/Carter/Gortat + 2011 first round to Phoenix for Turkoglu/Jason Richardson/Earl Clark.

Phoenix is clearly the winner in the deal, Turkoglu's return to Orlando could be interesting to watch but I'm not sure it's a good move, especially in terms of Orlando's financial ressources for the long run (Arenas and Turkoglu have HUGE contracts).

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

It will be Rashard Lewis for Arenas, straight up, with no other players involved.

The second trade is the following : Pietrus/Carter/Gortat + 2011 first round to Phoenix for Turkoglu/Jason Richardson/Earl Clark.

Phoenix is clearly the winner in the deal, Turkoglu's return to Orlando could be interesting to watch but I'm not sure it's a good move, especially in terms of Orlando's financial ressources for the long run (Arenas and Turkoglu have HUGE contracts).

Can you provide the link, Drucci?

I agree with you...Suns are clearly getting the better part of the bargain.

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I have always felt Orlando should never had let him go.Sometimes you have to pay to play.He is a much better fit with the Magic than anywhere he's been so far.He can help run the point.
Im not sure if i would have let Peitrus go,he has played some good defense on players like Lebron in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:41:04 PM by housecall »

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wow, Turkoglu + J-Rich would add a lot of offensive firepower to the Magic. That would be a big boost for Orlando.

The Magic would need to replace Marcin Gortat though + not sure if Turkoglu would be all that effective alongside Arenas. I probably wouldn't make the Arenas trade if they can land Richardson and Hedo. It might work ... but it's hit and hope.

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Crazy set of deals for a high-end team.  Orlando is going to have some major firepower, but a lot of streak shooting and I'd say this makes them a bit worse defensively. 

Amazing that they're going to take Turkoglu's deal on after they had no interest signing him at that price and he's underachieved since.  Smacks of desperation, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Side note, but anyone find it as "coincidental" as I did that Rashard Lewis' play fell off the table since he was busted for PEDs?

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Can you provide the link, Drucci?

I agree with you...Suns are clearly getting the better part of the bargain.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of Jason Richardson's addition to Orlando, though.  He's a really great shooter and a much more efficient scorer than Vince Carter at this point in their careers.  He's also quite a bit younger.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Wow, Turkoglu + J-Rich would add a lot of offensive firepower to the Magic. That would be a big boost for Orlando.

The Magic would need to replace Marcin Gortat though + not sure if Turkoglu would be all that effective alongside Arenas. I probably wouldn't make the Arenas trade if they can land Richardson and Hedo. It might work ... but it's hit and hope.
Yeah, I would like that Hedo + J-Rich trade a lot more if Rashard Lewis was still on the team.

Play that 1 in 4 out offense and let Hedo create off the pick and roll with Jameer, J-Rich and Rashard spacing the floor. That would be very difficult to defend against. Jameer as a secondary playmaker. A lot of balanced scoring with four 15ppg threats alongside Dwight.

Not sure at all about plugging Arenas and Bass into that equation. Does Hedo Turkoglu get enough touches to be an impact player in that scenario? How about J-Rich? His play improved quite a bit in Phoenix but he was quite reliant on Nash to create his offense. How does this older version of J-Rich do with Arenas at this point in his career? Does Orlando really have enough cohesiveness offensively with this group of players? Hmm ... lot of uncertainty.

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2010, 02:48:42 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Side note, but anyone find it as "coincidental" as I did that Rashard Lewis' play fell off the table since he was busted for PEDs?

TP!! I was just about to post that  ;)

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Earl Clark isn't ready to be a rotation player yet.

He'll be stuck at the end of Orlando's bench behind Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson.

JJ Redick and Quentin Richardson as the backup wings. No stopper on the perimeter with Pietrus gone.

No Gortat so no defensive anchor + no high level interior rebounder for the Magic while Dwight rests.

Jameer Nelson was a very nice change of pace backup point guard early in his career. He'll be a nice player behind Arenas. Give them a lot of firepower off the bench. Free him up to concentrate more on his scoring.

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Craziness, I can see Orlando getting a lot better with these trades, or a lot worse.