Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50717 times)

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
IF I was Jameer Nelson, I'd be p---ed.

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the Arenas trade has something to do with Otis Smith being in the frontoffice in GS when Gilbert was there.They supposedly have stayed in contact a lot.Looks like the Suns got the better end of their deal.At least if they ever decided to play some defense Petruis can play it as well as any bench sf ive seen in the NBA.Gortat is a pretty good help defender.What are they smoking in Orlando these days.

I would love to have Peitrus coming off the Celtics bench.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:16:41 PM by housecall »

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
They definitely got worse defensively, but the they have plenty of firepower. JRich flourished in Phoenix with Steve Nash, so will see if Jameer Nelson is as good a PG as some people think. Not sure about JRich & Hedo's 3pt% this season, but I thought Rashard Lewis and Pietrus were both above avg in that dept. Arenas hasn't been, and I'm not sure what his role is going to be. Someone else said this was a lateral move, and I guess I agree. They didn't get better, they got "different". They should be a pretty high scoring offense now.

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I just cannot figure out what they expect to do here... if ORL doesn't have a third move up its sleeve, this was crazy. They still have a bunch of solid role players they can afford to trade... all of the JJ, Nelson, Duhon trio are useful and expendable, if they can turn two of them into a C they'll be alright, if not its just gonna be guys worrying about PT.

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Have the Magic fallen behind the Bulls in the East after these two trades?

« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This whole trade is 100% thanks to the Miami Heat and the Boston Celtics sporting 10+ game win streaks.

I don't see any reason for this trade not to happen regardless.  All the teams involved need to do something to get better. Who knows if this is it by why stand pat?

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Have the Magic fallen behind the Bulls in the East after these two trades?
Quite possibly, I think a lot depends on how well SVG manages their rotations effectively to minimize their defensive deficiencies.

« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I just cannot figure out what they expect to do here... if ORL doesn't have a third move up its sleeve, this was crazy. They still have a bunch of solid role players they can afford to trade... all of the JJ, Nelson, Duhon trio are useful and expendable, if they can turn two of them into a C they'll be alright, if not its just gonna be guys worrying about PT.

I can't figure out what Arenas will do--come off the bench? Play the 2? it seems like JJ and Jameer could be moved, too? Maybe they'll do something with Portland--Andre Miller has a affordable non guaranteed contract, and Camby is available. The Blazers want to get younger, Miller would be a great backup in Orlando, and Camby would ensure a defensive stopper is on the floor at all times--could give Howard a break.

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Im not really sure what to make of this. For both the Magic and the Suns. The Suns get Carter's expiring and Pietrus... Two more wings to add to their wing log jam. They need size but I dont think Gortat is all thats he cracked up to be.

The Magic, dont understand what they're trying to do... They need size up front to help Howard, he cant play 45 minutes a game. They have no back up bigs and if Bass starts at PF they have an undersized PF with no real back up. Im sorry Turk isnt a Power Forward to me... So they are looking at a line up of what?

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson
Turk
Howard

With:
Bass
Richardson
Williams
Reddick

As their bench?

I dont know, thats a lineup thats terribly undersized, and cant play any defense what so ever, which has been the majority of the Magics problem. If they use that starting lineup they have three players (Arenas, Richardson, and Turk) playing out of position...I dont like it.

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Hedo Turkoglu can't defend Paul Pierce. Arenas doesn't have a prayer of staying in front of Rajon either.

Nice bonus for Boston's offense come playoff time.
They have to use J-Rich on Pierce.

This is why I think they should keep Lewis and use him as a SF still. 

Lewis can’t guard Pierce either.

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Another plus with this deal, Pietrus is gone.

That guy always killed us with his clutch 3's and his good defense.

Seems like Orlando just made this trade for the sake of making a trade.

« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Richardson scares me offensively
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Seems to me they replaced 3 point shooters with more 3 point shooters along with losing their backup center.

Richardson definately, at this point in both of their respective careers, scares me more than Carter on the offensive end.

And while Hedo has completely fallen off the map since leaving Orlando, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if he starts to tear it up back in a Magic uniform.

In terms of the Arenas situation, should be interesting how Stan Van handles that.  Does Jameer move to the back-up spot?  Is Gilbert the "veteran backup"?  Or do they start Gilbert at the 2 and then just have a small starting line up with no beef besides Howard?

Nelson, Arenas, J-Rich, Turkoglu, Howard?  Or do one of the new pieces come in as the 6th man?...so many questions! ah!

« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/nationworld/os-stan-van-gundy-trades-121810,0,7869156.mp3file

SVG interview on the trades. He doesn't say a lot of interest ... but he does say that at least one of Jameer, Arenas, J-Rich and Hedo will come off the bench.

He doesn't want to play Hedo as a power forward. At least not initially. He will use him there in certain situations, against smaller teams.

SVG - "Of the four guys who will come off the bench, it will not be Jameer". It'll be one of the other three guys. So Jameer is the starting PG. In that case, I think Gilbert should be the guy to come off the bench.

« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Orlando may have just sealed it's fate behind the C's and Heat. They replaced shooters and lost frontcourt depth.