Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50702 times)

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hedo Turkoglu can't defend Paul Pierce. Arenas doesn't have a prayer of staying in front of Rajon either.

Nice bonus for Boston's offense come playoff time.
They have to use J-Rich on Pierce.

This is why I think they should keep Lewis and use him as a SF still. 

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Hedo Turkoglu can't defend Paul Pierce. Arenas doesn't have a prayer of staying in front of Rajon either.

Nice bonus for Boston's offense come playoff time.
They have to use J-Rich on Pierce.
Hedo will fare even worse on Ray (no way he can navigate his way though all those off the ball screens).

Jason Richardson is a passable but unexceptional defender against Pierce. Some gains versus Hedo but not enough to make up for what they would be losing on Ray Allen.

Best to keep Hedo on Pierce and let J-Rich take Ray.

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Broussard is reporting Lewis-Arenas is done too:

Arenas to Orlando for Lewis is done, sources say. Deal has been completed.

It really is D-Day in O-Town.  Interesting stuff.

« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So....

Arenas
Richardson
Turkoglu
Bass
Howard?

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson/Turkoglu
Bass
Howard?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
thank orlando. you just excluded yourself from winning the East..no post depth and a bunch of me first  shooters that won't defend

« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The Magic gave up too much for Hedo and Jrich. Great trade by the Suns, the loss of JRich won't hurt because VC will do well in a change of scenery, especially next to Nash. This is only a good trade for Olando if  Hedo can pickup where he left off there. Other wise the just killed their depth for another bad contract.

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think the next move should be Danny calling up Robert Sarver and asking him how much cash he wants for that 1st he just picked up.  Worked with Rondo.

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I haven't read the whole thread,but these 2 deals don't mae much sense to me. Arenas,Hedo and Nelson all need the ball in their hands to be effective. This seems like a desperate move just to make Dwight happy. I still think he is going to leave in 2 years because these trades are not going to put Orlando over the top.

Then in 2012 Howard will join forces with Rondo to set up the next celtics dynasty.

« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think its a good trade for them.  But thing is they will match up better with us, than MIA after this trade.   Very important we hold the one spot in conference.  This was a move to deal with us not MIA.  That ought to show we are the beast of the east, again.

They will still stretch defenses with their range.  Ball movement will be better with Hedo.   I think that is where they are most dangerous as he is a good passing forward.  I think Stan wanted this and talked Dwight into this one.   Carter sucks, he is a fools gold type of player but always lets you down.   Their bench got better for the transition game but loosing Gortat will hurt them down low.

I think they will have to use Hedo at the four hole.   Dwight is a man amoung beasts and they can slouch a little at the four hole more than other teams.  If they use him at the three, I think the HEAT can handle them better but still a gaping hole at center there.

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
someone please tell me how this makes orlando better...esp vs boston? boston is going to be able to roll out PErk, Shaq, Erden. JO and baby vs the magic...orlando rolls out Howard? also this plays into boston's hands defensively...KG will have a much easier time vs bass and not lewis.

to me this is a bunch of me first shooters that won't defend.

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Why do both trades?

Just make the Phoenix trade.  See how the additions of Hedo and JRich does to the team. 

What is the point of picking them up if you then add volume shooter Arenas to run the team?

I agree, they should have made the Phoenix trade and then waited to see if the Turkoglu/Lewis duo was still as effective as before. It's not like the Arenas/Lewis deal had to be made right now or the offer would be gone, Orlando could have offered Lewis in two months and Washington would still have welcomed him with open arms...

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Crazy stuff.  The Magic roster has a *ton* of talent, but I just can't see the pieces fitting together.

Arguably the Magic downgraded defensively at three starting positions with this trade, plus downgraded the defense off the bench.

So....

Arenas
Richardson
Turkoglu
Bass
Howard?

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson/Turkoglu
Bass
Howard?

With SVG's love of shooters, it very well could be:

Nelson
Arenas
Richardson
Turkoglu
Howard

That's a heck of an offensive team, but they wouldn't be able to stop anybody.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think its a good trade for them.  But thing is they will match up better with us, than MIA after this trade.   Very important we hold the one spot in conference.  This was a move to deal with us not MIA.  That ought to show we are the beast of the east, again.

They will still stretch defenses with their range.  Ball movement will be better with Hedo.   I think that is where they are most dangerous as he is a good passing forward.  I think Stan wanted this and talked Dwight into this one.   Carter sucks, he is a fools gold type of player but always lets you down.   Their bench got better for the transition game but loosing Gortat will hurt them down low.

I think they will have to use Hedo at the four hole.   Dwight is a man amoung beasts and they can slouch a little at the four hole more than other teams.  If they use him at the three, I think the HEAT can handle them better but still a gaping hole at center there.

i disagree. i don't see how the will be able to defend boston in the post or on the wings..you think gilbert is going to chase ray for an entire game? or richardson is going to defend PP?

« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why do both trades?

Just make the Phoenix trade.  See how the additions of Hedo and JRich does to the team. 

What is the point of picking them up if you then add volume shooter Arenas to run the team?

I agree, they should have made the Phoenix trade and then waited to see if the Turkoglu/Lewis duo was still as effective as before. It's not like the Arenas/Lewis deal had to be made right now or the offer would be gone, Orlando could have offered Lewis in two months and Washington would still have welcomed him with open arms...

Agreed with both of you.

I like a roster think this roster would be a better fit than their current one:

Howard
Lewis
Turkoglu
Richardson
Nelson

That's a better starting lineup, and wouldn't have hurt the team defense nearly as much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
at best, i see this as a lateral move for this season. jrich's stock is higher than it should be on offense because of the nash effect. i'm not sure he's better on offense than carter. they gave up 2 very good role players in gortat and pietrus. as for hedo? i dunno...bad contract, and while he fits their offense very well, he's 2 years older than he was, and he fit it when nelson was injured. i mean, if hedo runs the offense, you lose some of nelson's value. finally, gilbert vs. lewis...whatever. rashard is a matchup problem, while gilbert...eh. post-injuries, he's not even close to what he used to be, and i don't see him improving that much. so...again, at best, a lateral move for this season (they definitely weakened their defense, and MAYBE improved their offense), and much worse moving forward (gilbert and hedo have terrible contracts).