Author Topic: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?  (Read 50711 times)

Re: Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Magic are going to be much worse at perimeter defense now, and when Howard is sitting out they'll be really weak up front.  Get Howard in foul trouble and abuse them in the paint.  They're essentially a worse version of this year's Suns if you can take Howard out of the game.

It really seems like this trade has just brought a lot of the Suns' current issues to Orlando.  They have a lot of 2/3s without much at the 4 (who will they start there, Bass? They can't be dumb enough to try Turk there), they lack frontcourt depth, and their defense got softer.  The big difference is of course Dwight Howard, but I don't know how far that can take them.

I think Bass will back up Dwight and Ryan Anderson will play the back up PF position.

So who starts at PF, Turk?  As much as he struggled in Phoenix at the 4, I just don't see Orlando trying it again.  They might see Howard as a good enough anchor to pull it off though.

I agree that they should keep Rashard after this, but Otis Smith is a big Arenas fan, he seems dead-set on bringing him over.  They are gonna drop 130 on some teams, but anyone with depth up front (like us) is gonna eat them alive.

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Craziness, I can see Orlando getting a lot better with these trades, or a lot worse.

Yeah could go either way but I like the timing by their stand point
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2010, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
The Magic are going to be much worse at perimeter defense now, and when Howard is sitting out they'll be really weak up front.  Get Howard in foul trouble and abuse them in the paint.  They're essentially a worse version of this year's Suns if you can take Howard out of the game.

It really seems like this trade has just brought a lot of the Suns' current issues to Orlando.  They have a lot of 2/3s without much at the 4 (who will they start there, Bass? They can't be dumb enough to try Turk there), they lack frontcourt depth, and their defense got softer.  The big difference is of course Dwight Howard, but I don't know how far that can take them.

I think Bass will back up Dwight and Ryan Anderson will play the back up PF position.

So who starts at PF, Turk?  As much as he struggled in Phoenix at the 4, I just don't see Orlando trying it again.  They might see Howard as a good enough anchor to pull it off though.

I agree that they should keep Rashard after this, but Otis Smith is a big Arenas fan, he seems dead-set on bringing him over.  They are gonna drop 130 on some teams, but anyone with depth up front (like us) is gonna eat them alive.

I don't think Turk will be any worse than Rashard has been this year.

What happens to their payroll if they keep RL? Turk + RL is a lot of money for just two players...and not very good players at that.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2010, 03:22:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Earl Clark isn't ready to be a rotation player yet.

He'll be stuck at the end of Orlando's bench behind Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson.

JJ Redick and Quentin Richardson as the backup wings. No stopper on the perimeter with Pietrus gone.

No Gortat so no defensive anchor + no high level interior rebounder for the Magic while Dwight rests.

Jameer Nelson was a very nice change of pace backup point guard early in his career. He'll be a nice player behind Arenas. Give them a lot of firepower off the bench. Free him up to concentrate more on his scoring.

Are you sure their plan isn't to play Gilbert at the 2?  Seems unlikely to me they'd bench Jameer right away, considering he's been playing a lot better than Gilbert this season.

I was thinking they'd move Jameer to bench because they acquired two quality wings in Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu. Arenas is a substantially worse two guard and would create a worse wing tandem than those two could provide. That was my line of thinking.

Where you thinking ...

Starters: Jameer + Arenas + J-Rich + Hedo + Dwight ??

I don't like that line up, better to have Bass out there.
Yeah, I agree.

I have a tough time seeing Turkoglu excel offensively alongside all those offensive players. He is too passive, he'd take too much of a secondary role.

Hedo needs to be one of the principle threats on the floor to get away with him playing the four spot ... otherwise you are just costing yourself too much defensively and on the glass.

------------------------------------------------------

I think they'll have to start Bass at the four + have him backup the center position.

Give Bass 7 minutes to start each half. Then bring in Ryan Anderson. Give Bass a quick breather. Bring Bass back in three minutes later as a backup five. Six minutes later, Dwight checks back in. Ryan Anderson stays in. Bass re-enters the game with 4 minutes to go.

Give Bass 32-34 minutes a night with 12 of those minutes as a backup five. The other 20-22 coming at the start and final few minutes of the half ... with Ryan Anderson playing the other 26-28 PF minutes.

They could also use Hedo at the four alongside Jameer, Dwight, J-Rich and either Q-Rich or Redick depending on matchups. That could be a nice situational lineup to free up Bass to play some minutes at center.

-----------------------------------------------

Starters: Arenas + J-Rich + Hedo + Bass + Dwight
Rotation: Jameer + Redick + Q-Rich + R.Anderson (+ Bass)
Reserves: Duhon + J.Williams + M.Allen + D.Orton

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Here's how I see the starters:

Nelson-Arenas-Turk-Bass-Howard

They'll have Richardson come in as a scoring 6th man, and will frequently slide Turk to the 4 in stretches when the matchups allow.  Barring a big man pickup Bass will also have to back up Howard, so he'll come out early.

The other alternative is Rich starting and Arenas as the scoring 6th.  I don't see them benching Nelson, partly for lineup reasons but largely for morale - they don't want him sulking or unsure of his role after such a major blowup.

Re: (Hedo/JRich for Gortat/VC/Pietrus confirmed) Rumor: Arenas to Orlando Magic?
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Going by the rumors. I now hate this trade.

Hedo was a Celtics killer. He was a matchup nightmere. JRich averaged 23points against the Celtics last season. And on top of that they are getting Arenas. WOW! So many options. Lets hope Stan Van Gundy finds a way to botch it.

edit: on the other hand, this weakens their frontline. If Howard gets in foul trouble, they are screwed. Not so afraid any more. Celtics bigs will own them
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:39:07 PM by Change »

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Hedo was a Celtics killer. He was a matchup nightmere.

That was when Rashard and Lewis played together...and Rashard was having a very good year. I don't see Turk putting up those kind of numbers again...or being as effective.

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hedo was a Celtics killer. He was a matchup nightmere.

That was when Rashard and Lewis played together...and Rashard was having a very good year. I don't see Turk putting up those kind of numbers again...or being as effective.
I think the Magic would get the worst of a line up with Hedo at PF. It might make KG uncomfortable at times, but overall they'd get killed on the glass even with Howard.

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Gortat to Phoenix helps my Fantasy team.

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why do both trades?

Just make the Phoenix trade.  See how the additions of Hedo and JRich does to the team. 

What is the point of picking them up if you then add volume shooter Arenas to run the team?

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Just read this on Orlando's blog..lol.

I went to sleep in Orlando, and woke up in Cleveland. What the hell is going on.

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Hedo Turkoglu can't defend Paul Pierce. Arenas doesn't have a prayer of staying in front of Rajon either.

Nice bonus for Boston's offense come playoff time.

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
It's a bit mind boggling though...Orlando didn't want to re-sign Hedo after he had probably the best year of his career...Raptors over pay him...he then underperforms in TO and PHX...and now Orlando thinks he will be a good fit? Doesn't make sense to me...Otis is probably doing this to appease Dwight...he hasn't signed an extension yet.

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It's a bit mind boggling though...Orlando didn't want to re-sign Hedo after he had probably the best year of his career...Raptors over pay him...he then underperforms in TO and PHX...and now Orlando thinks he will be a good fit? Doesn't make sense to me...Otis is probably doing this to appease Dwight...he hasn't signed an extension yet.

Clearly this is about Howard.

I think Howard may be the one the want Arenas as well. 

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hedo Turkoglu can't defend Paul Pierce. Arenas doesn't have a prayer of staying in front of Rajon either.

Nice bonus for Boston's offense come playoff time.
They have to use J-Rich on Pierce.