Author Topic: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason  (Read 16506 times)

There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason
« on: November 29, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Clearly we’re going to sit on this Hayward TPE until/unless a superstar becomes available via trade. What are some hopes/possibilities? Does “Trader Danny” have one final mega trade up his sleeves that gets us over the top? If so, mea culpa from this corner!

With the exception of Tatum, I’m thinking anybody could potentially be traded in combination with the TPE to get us a final piece of the puzzle. I’m suspecting it might be Harden since he wants a ring as badly as us, so perhaps he forces a trade to a contender:

TPE + Langford + Nesmith + Two first-round picks for Harden

Rockets get to spin it by saying they go four first-rounders and we get an all-NBA first teamer...

Walker/Teague/Pritchard/Edwards
Harden/Smart/Green
Brown/Ojeleye
Tatum/Williams
TT/Theis/Williams/Fall

To cover up their defensive liabilities, rarely have Harden and Walker on the court at the same time so always pair one with Smart.

Does this get us to our next championship? Other possibilities?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:07:47 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 08:47:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
TPEs don’t quite work that way.  You can’t combine them to match salary in a trade.  The guy you acquire has to fit completely within the TPE + $100k.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here is a list of player salaries where you can see who could fit into the TPE. If the year is set on 2021-22, I think everyone from #32 on the list, Al Horford, downward could be traded into the TPE.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

Sorry but its not really a list of superstars. Some interesting names yes, but no real star players that would be moved. Like Draymond and Sabonis work...but they aren't going anywhere.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don’t think Danny even uses that TPE but I never thought Hayward would opt out of that final year at 34 million let alone get another 120 million coming off three injury plagued years.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 09:09:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I got a feeling some posters are going to have adjust their expectations for the TPE. Think less flashy, more role player (or multiple players). Personally, my highest hope would be to grab Harrison Barnes or Aaron Gordon with it, but I wonder if even that is expecting too much.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I got a feeling some posters are going to have adjust their expectations for the TPE. Think less flashy, more role player (or multiple players). Personally, my highest hope would be to grab Harrison Barnes or Aaron Gordon with it, but I wonder if even that is expecting too much.

I think Aaron Gordon for the TPE is very unrealistic.  ORL will want players back. He is not a salary dump.  And unless we are willing to include a couple of first round picks with the TPE, just don't see them listening.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don’t think Danny even uses that TPE but I never thought Hayward would opt out of that final year at 34 million let alone get another 120 million coming off three injury plagued years.

I've seen a couple of folks mention that they think Danny will let the TPE expire and I really hope he does. As constructed, we're not a title contender. I think we're a veteran swing player and a consistent bench scorer away. We have an asset to help us fill out those holes and with Jaylen's extension kicking in this year and Tatum's next, we can't keep kicking the can down the road. It's officially time for Danny to whiz or get off the pot.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 09:23:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Seems that our most likely trading partner to make a great deal happen using the TPE is either New Orleans or OKC.  Those teams are loaded with future first round picks.  It would be a 3 way trade in which a really good player (say Aaron Gordon or Fournier from ORL) is sent to us, we use the TPE to absorb plus a future first round pick,  and OKC sends an additional 1st round pick (from Houston) to ORL in exchange for a young player like Romeo.

Point is that we need to be able to get access to picks to prime the value of the TPE. 

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think Aaron Gordon for the TPE is very unrealistic.  ORL will want players back. He is not a salary dump.  And unless we are willing to include a couple of first round picks with the TPE, just don't see them listening.

They've supposedly been trying to trade him. I have absolutely no issue giving up a couple of 1sts or Langford or Robert Williams in a deal. I'm not as in love with those guys as some others and think if we can dangle them in a trade that helps now, we 100% should.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I’d love to see us split the TPE, use a portion this year and the rest next off-season.

Names I’d watch:

Tier 1 (probably not realistic and would require salary being dumped elsewhere):
Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Tier 2 (more realistic possibilities this year that keep us under the cap)
Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Barnes would be really interesting. Would seemingly be a nice two-way fit that would slot in nicely as the new-age PF in the starting lineup. Also on a decent, depreciating contract.

PG: Kemba, Teague
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Tatum, Nesmith
PF: Barnes, Theis
C: Thompson, Timelord

That’s a really versatile and exciting 10 deep group with Romeo, Pritchard, Semi, and GWill still there, too. The question is what would he cost.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I’d love to see us split the TPE, use a portion this year and the rest next off-season.

Names I’d watch:

Tier 1 (probably not realistic and would require salary being dumped elsewhere):
Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr
Do you really think that after all that happened with the Pacer negotiations there is even an iota of a chance Ainge is interested in Turner. There is some chance that if Ainge liked Turner, he would currently be a Celtic and Gordon a Pacer. Now maybe not because Gordon has a good agent and would still have shopped Indy's offer, but there is a chance. But that didn't happen because Ainge reportedly had zero interest in Turner.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 09:33:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Barnes would be really interesting. Would seemingly be a nice two-way fit that would slot in nicely as the new-age PF in the starting lineup. Also on a decent, depreciating contract.

That’s a really versatile and exciting 10 deep group with Romeo, Pritchard, Semi, and GWill still there, too. The question is what would he cost.

I've been on the Barnes brigade for awhile. He's a great locker room guy and has shown that he can play a supporting role. His contract is descending, but he's still on the right side of 30 so it should be solid value through the rest of the deal. I've gone back & forth on what he'd cost because Sacramento is so unpredictable. It's clear at this point that Barnes isn't in their future plans, but I don't know how they value him. It's been reported that they want a young player and picks for Hield, but let Bogdan walk for nothing.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I've been on the Barnes brigade for awhile. He's a great locker room guy and has shown that he can play a supporting role. His contract is descending, but he's still on the right side of 30 so it should be solid value through the rest of the deal. I've gone back & forth on what he'd cost because Sacramento is so unpredictable. It's clear at this point that Barnes isn't in their future plans, but I don't know how they value him. It's been reported that they want a young player and picks for Hield, but let Bogdan walk for nothing.

Yeah, with the Kings you just never know what they are going to do. This is the same team that gave up on IT and held on to Cousins for too long, and then they also passed on Luka Doncic.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Names I’d watch:

Clint Capela
Myles Turner
Gary Harris
Gorgi Dieng

Danny Green
Rudy Gay
Thaddeus Young
JJ Redick
Justise Winslow
Trevor Ariza
Larry Nance Jr

Sad if that is our tier 1 list. No one on it fills wing depth need.

Actually wouldn’t mind making a play for Winslow. He’d be a good fit.