Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240041 times)

Re: Favorite play of night-Was Robert Williams and not a dunk
« Reply #1770 on: July 07, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Tacko's defense was actually pretty good all night. I hope he gets a 2-way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5g_3SsB7k
People will find any opportunity to bash this young man

Yes it's a obvious bad play on TL, but it's rare and for a guy who barely played last season in his first SUMMER game of the season it's totally acceptable

I'm not bashing, just trying to get everyone to calm down a little. He needs to do a lot of work. A lot. People are calling him for him to have the starting job...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1771 on: July 07, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
If Rob Will can become like Clint Capela then the search for the next Celtics big man is over.

Right now Celts are still one move away from being a legit contender.

I think the Celts are better off trading for a player like Bradley Beal than for a big like Capela.

I think the cs are development away from being a contender.  No need to trade for beal or anyone else right now.  Develop the young guys and see what you have.

« Reply #1772 on: July 07, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Well, there was a lot of nice basketball from RWill, but it seriously blows my mind that he won that Defensive Player of the year award.

Check out his awareness starting at 6.46 - three bad moves: doesn't check his man when the handoff happens (although isn't in too bad position - lucky), late to the drive contest - just literally ball watching, then late to recover and stupidly tries to snatch a steal that wasn't there, loses position. Still needs a LOT of work. Also, his offensive rebounding effort comes and goes.

Yes it's a obvious bad play on TL, but it's rare and for a guy who barely played last season in his first SUMMER game of the season it's totally acceptable

I'm not bashing, just trying to get everyone to calm down a little. He needs to do a lot of work. A lot. People are calling him for him to have the starting job...

Agree with this. Actually all the hype probably contributes to the problem. People are saying he’s ready to be a beast. He’s not. It’s disappointing if you compare the body of his on-court work to his very best plays or what his boosters promise.

We may need to wait at least another year before he’s ready for rotation minutes, and then we also have to understand that if he earns minutes on a contender that’s something we should be excited about - like found money- not something to take for granted or that he’s already earned.

« Reply #1773 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

You singled out his one bad play and make it a big deal, just tell me which 2nd year player didn't need a lot work?

« Reply #1774 on: July 07, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

That is the worse about all the unreasonable threads about Williams and taco. Trying to level the expectations it looks like we are bashing the kids. Every 2 days there is new thread about RW praising everything he does. Even breathing!!!

It's the lack of realism getting bashed and not the kids

« Reply #1775 on: July 07, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Rob Will can become like Clint Capela then the search for the next Celtics big man is over.

I think the Celts are better off trading for a player like Bradley Beal than for a big like Capela.

I think the cs are development away from being a contender.  No need to trade for beal or anyone else right now.  Develop the young guys and see what you have.

Boston Herald's Bulpett said the Celts are not done dealing.

So we'll see what happens.

« Reply #1776 on: July 07, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Agree with this. Actually all the hype probably contributes to the problem. People are saying he’s ready to be a beast. He’s not. It’s disappointing if you compare the body of his on-court work to his very best plays or what his boosters promise.

We may need to wait at least another year before he’s ready for rotation minutes, and then we also have to understand that if he earns minutes on a contender that’s something we should be excited about - like found money- not something to take for granted or that he’s already earned.
Last year when he got real rotation minutes he schooled AD and lead a 18-0 run, and people point to one bad play saying he ain't ready , give this kid a break

« Reply #1777 on: July 07, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

You singled out his one bad play and make it a big deal, just tell me which 2nd year player didn't need a lot work?

If that is bashing how do you call celebrating a pass in a summer league game?

« Reply #1778 on: July 07, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Boston Herald's Bulpett said the Celts are not done dealing.

So we'll see what happens.
Heard it's Brown for Draymond , i am no fan of Brown but i don't know i want Draymond either

« Reply #1779 on: July 07, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

There are some people calling for this, but it is not realistic. If you ignore those folks and look at what TL may potentially become, you can be a lot more optimistic about him. Also, Kanter, Theis, and Poirier are easily ahead of him on the depth chart.

My biggest concern moving forward is his motor - not that he isn't showing it now, but he could become frustrated at a lack of playing time after putting in [what he thinks is] so much work - still almost 3 months before training camp, too. He obviously has a long way to go - and I think that is okay as a big man. If he lacked such basic instincts (cue Sharon Stone) as a guard or wing, I would say he is toast, but I think he can develop just fine if given the time. His measurements are absolutely off the charts. He just has to want it.

« Reply #1780 on: July 07, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

If that is bashing how do you call celebrating a pass in summer league game?
What's wrong celebrating a very nice pass by a Big man in summer league game?

« Reply #1781 on: July 07, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
What is wrong??? It is meaningless! N

What's wrong stating that he is not ready to start in the NBA?

« Reply #1782 on: July 07, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Last year when he got real rotation minutes he schooled AD and lead a 18-0 run, and people point to one bad play saying he ain't ready , give this kid a break

So this right here is what ppl are reacting to. The idea that RW is ready to school a top-ten player and led an 18-0 run.

I watched that game. I saw RW get those blocks - it was great. I also saw AD adjust to him and score. I saw RW leave his man to chase a block and allow an easy dunk. I saw RW pick and roll when the play called for a pick and pop.

The good plays happened. So did the bad ones.

« Reply #1783 on: July 07, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The good plays happened. So did the bad ones.

This is true of most rookies, and he is especially wise.

But don't be talent-blind,  man, he has tons of potential and athletic ability that can't be taught.

« Reply #1784 on: July 07, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Summer league is about fun for fans and these guys only have played a week together-no wonder there were blown assignments and confusion reigned
.As OP i was specific to the play and why i liked it The other day my favorite was Romeo and a shooting coach at far end of court alone trying to rework his shot.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:45:49 PM by rollie mass »