Author Topic: Celtics (48-33) at Wizards (32-49) Game #82 4/8/19  (Read 26017 times)

Celtics (48-33) at Wizards (32-49) Game #82 4/8/19
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:00 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (48.33) at Wizards (32-49)
Regular Season Game #82, Road Game #41
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
7:00 PM ET
TV: TNT, NBCSB 
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WFED 1500 AM
Capital One Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Terry Rozier vs Thomas Satoransky

Shooting Guard

vs
Jaylen Brown vs Bradley Beal

Small Forward
vs  
PJ Dozier vs Troy Brown Jr

Power Forward
  vs 
Semi Ojeleye vs Bobby Portis

Center
vs
Robert Williams III vs Thomas Bryant

Celtics Reserves
Guerschon Yabusele
Brad Wanamaker
RJ Hunter
Jonathan Gibson

Injuries
Aron Baynes  (ankle)  out
Gordon Hayward (ankle)  out
Al Horford  (knee) out
Kyrie Irving (knee) out
Marcus Morris (knee) out
Marcus Smart (oblique)  out
Jayson Tatum (shin)out
Jaylen Brown (back) probable
Daniel Theis (foot questionable
Guershon Yabusele (foot)  probable

Two Way Players
P. J. Dozier
RJ Hunter

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Wizards Reserves
Sam Dekker
Jeff Green
Ian Mahinmi
Chasson Randle

Injuries
Dwight Howard (back) out
John Wall (Achilles) out
Trevor Ariza (groin) out
Jordan McRae  (Achilles) questionable
Jabari Parker (knee) questionable

Two Way Players

Jordan McRae
Devin Robinson

Head Coach

Scott Brooks

Game Notes

The Celtics (or what's left of them) travel to Washington DC to take on the Washington Wizards.  This is the 3rd and final meeting between these two teams this season.  The Celtics won the first meeting 130-125 in overtime in Washington and they won the second game 107-96 in Boston.

The Celtics are locked into 4th place and will host the Indiana Pacers when the playoffs start this weekend.  The Celtics are 5-5 in their last 10 games and 20-20 on the road. 
The Wizards have been out of the playoffs for some time and are locked into 11th in the East.  They are 2-8 in their last 10 games and 22-18 at home. 

The Celtics will have just a skeleton crew out there for this game.  They have 7 players listed as out and one more as questionable (Daniel Theis).  Guerschon Yabusele and Jaylen Brown are probable.  I've taken a wild guess as to who will be starting for the Celtics.  There aren't a lot of possibilities.  And, there aren't a lot of players to come off the bench. The Celtics have signed Jonathan Gibson with their last roster spot and is expected to be available for tonight's game. 

The Wizards have Trevor Ariza (groin), Dwight Howard (back) and John Wall (Achilles) all listed as out.  Jabari Parcker is listed as questionable with knee soreness but they will likely be cautious with him since that knee has already been surgically repaired twice.  Jordan McRae is also questionable with a sore Achilles.  With all the Celtics sitting out,  they may choose to sit out a few more players as well. 

This could be a very interesting game.  Along with the fact that the Celtics are resting half the team, neither team has a reason to win and both have a good reason to lose.  The Celtics have nothing to gain or lose in their playoff seeding but by losing,  they could better their chances at having the Memphis pick convey next year rather than this one as well as possibly improving their own draft odds a tad.

The Wizards also don’t have a reason to win this game and they will benefit if they lose. If they lose, they can’t finish with any worse than a tie for the sixth-best lottery odds. If they win, they could have a tie for the eighth-best odds, depending on how the Grizzlies, Mavs, and Pelicans finish on Tuesday and Wednesday.  This could be fun to watch.  Or, not. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Bradley Beal
Bradley Beal is averaging 25.7 points and 5.5 assists per game. He had 22 in the first game against the Celtics this season and 29 points and 11 rebounds in their second meeting.  He is the one player that the Celtics need to slow down.  I'm guessing that Jaylen Brown will be the one tasked with covering Beal and trying to slow him down.

vs 
Semi Ojeleye vs Bobby Portis
Again, it's just a guess but Semi Ojeleye will probably start opposite Bobby Portis, who is averaging 14.3 points and 8.1 rebounds per game.  This may be a fun matchup to watch. 

Honorable Mention
 RJ Hunter vs Jeff Green
There aren't many players left to come off the bench for the Celtics.  I'm going to guess that both of our 2 Way players will get extended playing time in this one and RJ Hunter may be matched up with Jeff Green, who is averaging 12.4 points, 4 rebounds and 1.8 assists.  He had 22 points and 10 rebounds in the first game between these two teams and 15 points in the second.  He always looks to have a big game against his former team.   

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense wins games, even meaningless games at the end of the season.   The Wizards are averaging 114.1 points per game while the Celtics are averaging 112.3 points per game.   However, they may find scoring hard to come by with all of the players out.  With the scarcity of players, hopefully they can still play some defense. 

Be Aggressive - This is a chance for players who don't get a lot of playing time to show what they can do.  They need to be aggressive and play hard and maybe show that they can be trusted with playing time should they be needed in the playoffs. 

Rebound
-  The Celtics don't have a lot of bigs left but much of rebounding is effort and desire and so the Celtics need to work hard to crash the boards as a team and beat the Wizards to rebounds. 

Just Survive
- This is a meaningless game and won't affect the Celtics in the standings.  The Celtics will be very short handed and even though they will want to win,  their main priority should be to survive this game without any further injuries. 

X-Factors
Next Man Up - The Celtics are very short handed and so the players that are healthy and on the court will have to step up and give 120%.  They need to make up for both key offensive and defensive players who are out.   It's a chance for the young players to show what they can do. 

On the Road - The Celtics are on the road to close out the season.  There will be the usual distractions of playing on the road along with playing in front of a hostile crowd.  It's tough to win on the road when the team is at full strength but with just a skeleton out there it will be even tougher. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:42:02 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (48-33) at Wizards (32-49) Game #82 4/8/19
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:45:23 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Yay! Go C's!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  tstorey_97 for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Wizards!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Last game of the regular season!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:18:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
TNT originally wanted to air D-Wade's last home game in Miami but because of scheduling issues, will air this game instead

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I..I..I..I..think I want a Celtic loss in this game?!?!?!?! The game means nothing and by losing you are winning in maximizing your chances for the Celtics pick to be as valuable as it can be. In this game, losing will be winning and winning will be losing.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I..I..I..I..think I want a Celtic loss in this game?!?!?!?! The game means nothing and by losing you are winning in maximizing your chances for the Celtics pick to be as valuable as it can be. In this game, losing will be winning and winning will be losing.

While also maximizing the chance that the Memphis pick does not convey this year, which I think is in the C's best interest.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:51:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Go Celtics!!!! Last one!!!!

TIMELORD with the start!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This has the potential to be one of the worst, and also one of the best, games in Celtic history.

Go C's!! Or, Stop C's!!

Something!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 02:01:55 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Then it's a no-brainer to lose the last game of the season. Do it for the long-haul, for the draft purposes, for the difference between picking a Giannis and an Olynyk (hoping we get that Giannis this time around). The Celtics are set for Round 1 of the playoffs. There is no need to win this game.

JUST THROW IN THE TOWELLLLL

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 04:25:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Rest everyone important and make it into a mini-audition for who makes it to the end of the bench in the playoffs. Also make it a bit of a reward for those end of benchers and practice players who have stuck with the team all season long. I want to see a starting 5 of:

Yabu
Semi
Timelord
Wanamaker
RJ Hunter

Dozier first off the bench.

Let's see how far they get before we have to put Mook, Theis and Terry in. They're the only "regulars" who should play as backup IMO.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 06:47:09 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Woah. You got a link to those socks FL? I WANT THEM.

Yeah I'm rooting for a 3rd string loss here. I'd love Jaylen to get some reps just to be in the swing of thi gs, but dont go crazy.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 06:54:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Seven Celtics listed as OUT for tonight and a few others questionable:

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1115362138900639749

So my starting lineup might actually happen  ;D

Though Brad will probably play Terry instead of Hunter since he (hopefully) won't get many minutes in the playoffs. Let's see how he goes as not just the starter but the main man.

TNT gonna love televising this game  :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:08:51 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Seven Celtics listed as OUT for tonight and a few others questionable:

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1115362138900639749

So my starting lineup might actually happen  ;D

Though Brad will probably play Terry instead of Hunter since he (hopefully) won't get many minutes in the playoffs. Let's see how he goes as not just the starter but the main man.
I have never been this happy reading injury report.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:17:17 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."