Author Topic: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***  (Read 18533 times)

Re: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One positive, and it really might be the ONLY positive of Rondo's injury, the complete lack of "Trade Rondo" and "Bash Rondo" threads that will be popping up until next year.

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo played incredible down the stretch, but he made one critical mistake.

On our last possession, he picked up his dribble, anticipating that Pierce was going to come off the screen clean.  I know Shumpert was guarding him, but if you're Rondo, you keep that dribble alive.

What if Pierce doesn't come off (which is what happened)?  What do you do now?  You've got a great defender who's taller than you, and its unlikely any teammates are coming to get the ball.  Oh, I almost forgot, you have no timeouts.

Not sure how this thread got to the top, but this is worth commenting on. The statement "its unlikely any teammates are coming to get the ball" is true, and it's a problem that crops up from time to time. Don't remember if it was the Knicks or the Hawks game but there was a play where Bass picked up his dribble at the top of the key, wanting to pass to Rondo. Rondo was covered closely by the opposing pg and after 4-5 seconds Bass passed him the ball anyways, resulting in a steal and a layup for the other team. The worst part of the play was 3 guys on offense standing still and watching the scene unfold, doing nothing when the play was going south.

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I can't hate on a guy that has helped us win a ring.

I just think now that Rondo has matured and is his own man (not having doc scream at him after every possession), he is not the right pg for our team moving forward.

He doesn't care about playing traditional defense and has forgotten to make passes for the high percentage shot. The passes he makes to 70 percent of the time is to kg and pp and the rest to everyone else. This is not the way to play team basketball.  I don't think he has alot of faith or trust

We will see better basketball without him.

In my ideal world, Rondo would come off the bench and still get his triple double, and help us win. But in terms of starting and ending the game i like lee and bradley better. It just more nuts and bolts to start and finish the game. Everyone will get into better habits of playing defense and sharing the ball on offense

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
One positive, and it really might be the ONLY positive of Rondo's injury, the complete lack of "Trade Rondo" and "Bash Rondo" threads that will be popping up until next year.

Don't hold your breath.  The insanity of this board knows no bounds.

I'm seriouisly thinking of taking a break from coming here due to the absurdity level that exists here right now.  And it isn't something I'm happy about, I love this forum.

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm seriouisly thinking of taking a break from coming here due to the absurdity level that exists here right now.  And it isn't something I'm happy about, I love this forum.

you can feel the insanity but also enjoy more victories now.

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I just think now that Rondo has matured and is his own man (not having doc scream at him after every possession), he is not the right pg for our team moving forward.

He doesn't care about playing traditional defense and has forgotten to make passes for the high percentage shot. The passes he makes to 70 percent of the time is to kg and pp and the rest to everyone else. This is not the way to play team basketball.  I don't think he has alot of faith or trust

In my ideal world, Rondo would come off the bench and still get his triple double, and help us win. But in terms of starting and ending the game i like lee and bradley better. It just more nuts and bolts to start and finish the game. Everyone will get into better habits of playing defense and sharing the ball on offense

Don't sell yourself short.  You did a fine job. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Don't sell yourself short.  You did a fine job.

This made me laugh.  Thanks.  :)

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I seriously doubt this team wins more without Rondo.

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

how can that be possible when we were on a 6 game losing streak and having horrendous year so far with him in the lineup?? That's like saying kate moss can't get any skinnier

We are 2-0 (with bradley) without him against two top teams. I smell another winning run coming

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I'll tell you what, I'll play along for just one brief moment.  Maybe the team will play better without Rondo for a period of time.

The one thing I've noticed this year is that most all of the players on this team seem to defer to Rondo, even KG/Pierce to a point.  They've become dependant on his exceptional play-making ability.  As a result, it seems the effectiveness of these other players is entirely tied to how well Rondo plays in any particular game. On the whole, it may, at times, actually be a detriment to the individual games of the rest of the roster in some aspects.

This is absolutely NOT Rondo's fault, however.  It is the fault of the coaching staff and the other players on the roster.  These are highly paid professionals.  It is inexcusable they rely so heavily on one player to "pick them up".

So, going forward, maybe now that the teams security blanket is gone, they'll be forced to sink or swim on thier own, and have to pick up their play.  It happens in sports all the time.  The "lead dog" goes down and the troops rally.

At the end of the day though, in basketball a team only can go as far as it's best player can take it.  Point blank, Rondo is this teams best player.  There will be no  title coming to Boston this year.  Which at the end of the day, is really all that matters here in Boston. Or at least that seems to be the company line.

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

how can that be possible when we were on a 6 game losing streak and horrendous year so far with him in the lineup?? That's like saying kate moss can't get any skinnier

We are 2-0 without him against two top teams. I smell another winning run coming
Do you have ANY idea how many games this team has won WITH Rondo in the lineup over the years? Do you have any idea how bad his team around him has gotten over the years? Do you have any idea how long the rest of the season is?

If the C's win 20 games the rest of the season I will eat my computer. If they don't win 20 games the chances of them making it to the playoffs and winning more games ends.

If Rondo was playing I am convinced this team makes the playoffs. If they do not make the playoffs then I will be 1000% sure they lost more games without Rondo than they would have with Rondo.

2 Games, short term is nothing. The rest of the season is the real test. What is happening in those games the C's lost this year when Rondo isn't playing huge. Simple. The C's don't win those games, they still lose them. And those games they would have run had Rondo been there or because of Rondo, my guess is lots more losses.

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

how can that be possible when we were on a 6 game losing streak and horrendous year so far with him in the lineup?? That's like saying kate moss can't get any skinnier

We are 2-0 without him against two top teams. I smell another winning run coming
Do you have ANY idea how many games this team has won WITH Rondo in the lineup over the years? Do you have any idea how bad his team around him has gotten over the years? Do you have any idea how long the rest of the season is?

If the C's win 20 games the rest of the season I will eat my computer. If they don't win 20 games the chances of them making it to the playoffs and winning more games ends.

If Rondo was playing I am convinced this team makes the playoffs. If they do not make the playoffs then I will be 1000% sure they lost more games without Rondo than they would have with Rondo.

2 Games, short term is nothing. The rest of the season is the real test. What is happening in those games the C's lost this year when Rondo isn't playing huge. Simple. The C's don't win those games, they still lose them. And those games they would have run had Rondo been there or because of Rondo, my guess is lots more losses.

Nick, Imho, you have about a 100% chance of eating your computer if we stand pat. Your only chance is that Da blows it up. Just imho

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Rondo was a great individual player who had improved immensely from when he entered the league.  I was re-watching the 2008 Finals and in terms of confidence and skill-level, that Rondo was unrecognizable.  That said, I've absolutely hated how he's run this team.  The Celtics haven't been a team these past few years so much as they've been a showcase for Rondo.  Not even Lebron or Kobe has dominated the ball as much as Rondo has during this Rondo Era and to what end?  To produce a terrible offense? 

Re-watching the 2008 Finals, I couldn't believe how different the offense was.  The ball movement was spectacular.  It moved from side to side, nobody really held the ball for too long, not even Rondo and the action was decisive.  Multiple guys brought the ball up.  Hell, I saw Ray grab a rebound and dribble the ball up the court without Rondo running up to him and shouting for the ball like it was middle school.  There weren't any of those stupid 1-5 side pick and pops where everyone else just stands on the other side of the court.  Slow walking the ball up the court for no reason was practically non-existent.  I don't care if the players are older now.  Why does that mean there has to be less ball movement.  When is less ball movement a good thing?

The biggest gripe I've had about Rondo is that the ball movement is so much better when he's not out there. When you're point guard is the biggest impediment to ball movement, he's doing something massively wrong. 

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
20 more wins is easily achievable. I want 27 or more.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
There is a small part of me that wants Boston just just fail now. The ONLY reason is so these anti Rondo people will see the light.
Peace through Tyranny