Author Topic: Gorman isn’t happy - went off on Tatum/Brown  (Read 9968 times)

Re: Gorman isn’t happy - went off on Tatum/Brown
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Gorman should apologize.

I've watched him for years going all the way back to his start in Providence. I've always like him, but the team play-by-play announcer publicly calling out 2 young players seems like crossing a line to me.

The Celtics problems aren't as simple as that and he should know better.

It would be best for the two young players called out to think clearly about what was said by someone who has been watching and calling this team since the 1980s, and seeing how they can take the criticism positively and improve, rather than taking offense because someone dared to criticize them in public. Also if you listen to the entire interview Gorman never said they were the only problem.

I've listened to it a couple of times. As I've stated, I've been listening to him since he started his career in Providence, Big East, etc. I found his behavior in this interview disappointing. Perhaps he's about to retire and he just doesn't care anymore.

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I blame ainge for not putting a great team around Tatum/Brown.

letting hayward walk for basically nothing, hoarding his first rounders instead of making a deal for some vets who can win.

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Gorman was correct in his criticism. Brown and Tatum deserve a decent part of the blame because they're the best players - they do play selfishly at times (Tatum much more so) and if they play poorly the team plays poorly.

Gorman has 40 years of credibility in this market and his words carry weight. I think he's great. However what he said this week would get 90% of play by play announcers either suspended or fired outright since most of them are shill's for the team.  It was probably not the wisest move for an employee of the Celtics (or at least a guy who needs Celtics approval to keep his job).

But that said, I hope Mike stays on the job for another decade. We're lucky as basketball fans that we have him.

The bolded part is why I personally think he crossed the line a bit.  He is very respected, and that kind of call out will stick with the J's.  I am not sure that he needs to apologize as was also suggested, but I think he probably regrets doing what he did.  But he is a huge fan just like us, and he gets upset just like us.  It's been a really frustrating last couple weeks as a Celtics fan. 

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Jaylen and Jayson listen to radio. Interesting
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2021, 09:36:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Gorman was correct in his criticism. Brown and Tatum deserve a decent part of the blame because they're the best players - they do play selfishly at times (Tatum much more so) and if they play poorly the team plays poorly.

Gorman has 40 years of credibility in this market and his words carry weight. I think he's great. However what he said this week would get 90% of play by play announcers either suspended or fired outright since most of them are shill's for the team.  It was probably not the wisest move for an employee of the Celtics (or at least a guy who needs Celtics approval to keep his job).

But that said, I hope Mike stays on the job for another decade. We're lucky as basketball fans that we have him.

The bolded part is why I personally think he crossed the line a bit.  He is very respected, and that kind of call out will stick with the J's.  I am not sure that he needs to apologize as was also suggested, but I think he probably regrets doing what he did.  But he is a huge fan just like us, and he gets upset just like us.  It's been a really frustrating last couple weeks as a Celtics fan.

apologize? Really?

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2021, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
more likely someone will have to tell people of their generation what radio is.

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2021, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

apologize? Really?
Gorman is intelligent, informed, and experienced. I don’t mind him being honest.

He should not apologize to anyone for this.

I think also that losing Tommy has made him approach this job differently.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2021, 10:54:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I blame ainge for not putting a great team around Tatum/Brown.

letting hayward walk for basically nothing, hoarding his first rounders instead of making a deal for some vets who can win.

Both Ainge and Brad have blame in this

But its more on Brad.  No accountability. No fire

Last years playoff starting unit is still in tact (except Smart is out right now)

The biggest changes were Kanter, Wannamaker out. And Nesmith,  PP, TT in.

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2021, 10:57:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
more likely someone will have to tell people of their generation what radio is.

Tell em it’s a live podcast. That’ll work.

« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

apologize? Really?
Gorman is intelligent, informed, and experienced. I don’t mind him being honest.

He should not apologize to anyone for this.

I think also that losing Tommy has made him approach this job differently.
he does seem a little different on the broadcasts.  definitely not the same rapport he had with Tommy.

Mike's always had astute observations about what he sees going on.  usually if he says anything it's phrased to be team friendly.  a little less so this year.

honestly, if Mike left the local broadcast, I probably watch the national broadcasts instead and I currently avoid those like the plague

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2021, 07:51:02 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
It is abit unfair though I feel to pile everything on to tatum and brown though. Say they look less for their shot. Who is going to pick up the slack right now? Kemba is struggling, no marcus smart, teague has been horrible, Prichard is a rookie and will have good and bad games, Nesmith is still learning.

so you going to rely on Semi, grant williams?

Our talent on the bench for scoring and carrying the load is limited. Last year we had Hayward and a more effective Kemba carrying the load. we replaced Hayward with no-one.

Hopefully Smart coming back, and supposedly Romeo Langford supposedly coming back after the all-star game will provide some reinforcements.