Author Topic: John Collins  (Read 5528 times)

John Collins
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
John Collins remains unhappy in Atlanta.  He’s not thrilled with Trae Young’s ability to run the offense:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1347562454306484226

We have a pretty large hole at PF, and Collins would fit our offense.

What about Marcus Smart for Collins, straight up?

Theis / Thompson / Timelord
Collins / Williams
Tatum
Brown
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague

Until Romeo or Nesmith start contributing it leaves us weak at wing, but I think it makes us better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: John Collins
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Better yet - how about Smart for Collins & Huerter.  Takes care of the wing issue.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Better yet - how about Smart for Collins & Huerter.  Takes care of the wing issue.

If they’d accept, for sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 10:35:14 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
What do we think about the ability to retain Collins going forward? I believe he is a RFA this summer. Does anybody think someone will toss a max to be matched his way? I have always wondered if he could improve defensively with the right coach. His athleticism is off the charts and he should theoretically be able to play 4/5 in the modern nba.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think Collins would be used as a center here.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why? Stephens has been running out two-big lineups, and Collins is a natural power forward.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Why? Stephens has been running out two-big lineups, and Collins is a natural power forward.

I don think Stephens has been running 2 big lineups out of preference but necessity.

But what do I know. not much.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:11:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Atlanta would do Smart for Collins straight up, but I'd certainly do that. 

Maybe

Smart, Williams (either one), and maybe a 21 1st

for

Collins, Snell

I think that makes more sense value wise as Collins is clearly the best player in that trade.  I like Smart, but Collins is just better.  Snell is due to play any day now so he provides some quality depth at SG. 

Post Trade - Healthy roster

Starters - Walker, Brown, Tatum, Collins, Thompson
Rotation - Teague, Snell, Pritchard, Langford, Theis, Williams (the other one)
Deep Bench - Nesmith, Ojeleye, Edwards, Green
TW - Waters, Fall

I think that team is much more balanced for this year, but I'd do the trade more for the future.  I think Collins could be the 3rd guy on a contender when when Tatum and Brown are at peak potential in the future, so I'd do the trade for that reason alone.  Obviously have to keep Collins, but I'd be all in for that as the team needs his size and skill set a lot more than they need Smart. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I don think Stephens has been running 2 big lineups out of preference but necessity.

He has been running 2 big lineups because Tatum isn't a PF and he knows it.  Tatum is at his best while playing SF and Tatum is Boston's  best player so you want to maximize his ability more than anyone else.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What do we think about the ability to retain Collins going forward? I believe he is a RFA this summer. Does anybody think someone will toss a max to be matched his way? I have always wondered if he could improve defensively with the right coach. His athleticism is off the charts and he should theoretically be able to play 4/5 in the modern nba.

The problem isn't getting him, its keeping him.

He sees himself as a max player. His numbers last year are mind boggling, and it is difficult to guess what teams will offer.

He has a weird valuation problem. If he is viewed as a legit 40% 3pt shooter, which he did pull off last year, he is super valuable. However, that was an outlier. His entire other career, including so far this year, he's a 34% 3 pt shooter. Still a very interesting young player, but that difference decides whether he stretches defenses or doesn't, and that matters a lot.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 11:17:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

The problem isn't getting him, its keeping him.

He sees himself as a max player. His numbers last year are mind boggling, and it is difficult to guess what teams will offer.

He has a weird valuation problem. If he is viewed as a legit 40% 3pt shooter, which he did pull off last year, he is super valuable. However, that was an outlier. His entire other career, including so far this year, he's a 34% 3 pt shooter. Still a very interesting young player, but that difference decides whether he stretches defenses or doesn't, and that matters a lot.
At 34% he still stretches defenses because you can't leave him open.  That isn't elite, but is absolutely good enough to keep teams honest, which all you need from Collins.

I expect Collins to get something like 4 years, 100 million.  I'd pay that without giving it a second thought.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a max offer though and frankly I'd pay him that if his play the rest of the year triggers that sort of valuation. 

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

My belief on the 2 big thing is Brad was playing the best guys but also the guys we’d be using when (  in best case scenario) everybody is healthy. 
   I’m still surprised we got Tristan Thompson at all. I was over the moon but I didn’t think Stevens saw value in Tristan due to not looking at the hoop from outside.
  Did Danny force it on him or change his thinking as well? I have no idea. But I agree that Collins certainly has the athletic ability to move his feet as a 4 in the NBA.
 I’ve had so many terrible takes through the years so what’s one more but I do think a lineup of Kemba/ Jaylen/ Tatum/ Collins/ Thompson with Smart/ Teague /Pritchard / Theis is pretty great and I’d pick to win the East as well as challenge for a title this year.
  Who knows what deal the Lakers will make to better there team though . I also think there’s a good chance someone offers Collins a max or close to it. It may not be a good team but it still would likely be a one and done . Having no idea what Kemba’s future is with his knee surely makes these decisions much harder.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 11:36:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
John Collins remains unhappy in Atlanta.  He’s not thrilled with Trae Young’s ability to run the offense:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1347562454306484226

We have a pretty large hole at PF, and Collins would fit our offense.

What about Marcus Smart for Collins, straight up?

Theis / Thompson / Timelord
Collins / Williams
Tatum
Brown
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague

Until Romeo or Nesmith start contributing it leaves us weak at wing, but I think it makes us better.

I’d love if the C’s traded for Collins, but I don’t see why Atlanta would trade away their second best player for Smart. Especially when they already have Trae Young, Huerter, Rondo, Bogdonovic and Reddish at the guard position.

Also, Smart makes $13M per year and Collins makes $4M, so how would that work? Is this a 3 team trade or would there be other players involved.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I think you are seriously overvaluing Smart lol
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would probably do this trade, although Collins is better suited at the 5 than the 4.  Really Tatum is almost a prototype 4 in today's NBA.  Or Grant or Siakam.   Can Collins cover guys like that on defense? Can he cover wings when switching necessitates? Haven't studied him enough, but am skeptical.

I'd still do the trade because ATL is desperate to make playoffs, and they just lost Bogdonavich to knee injury.  I also believe that the emergence of Pritchard will fulfill back up PG responsibilities that Smart would normally handle, and that Romeo will be able to handle much of the defensive role of Smart, although he obviously lacks Smart's panache. 

Maybe hold off to see how we jell when Kemba and Romeo gets back. Can't really judge our team until the entire team can play together.

If more trade capital needed, I'd add G Williams but not R Williams; R Williams upside is too valuable to throw in like that.