Author Topic: Get rid of Sullinger  (Read 13011 times)

Re: Get rid of Sullinger
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 08:15:06 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
i know this has been beaten to death, but what's really impeding sullinger's development is his weight.
this is a league based on speed, and he'd be able to expand his game with just a little more quickness. more speed means more opportunity to do different things. i think he'd be more able to find "daylight" under the rim, he'd get to his spots faster for jumpers, making him a more efficient offensive player. and his mobility on defense and on the boards would certainly improve, h eplays tough but doesn't have the foot speed to get to where he needs to go. sometimes on rebounds the ball will go right over his head like he was a 40-year old player instead of 25 or whatever.
ainge and stevens need to read him the riot act. he can either lose the weight and live up to his potential, or he can be an NBA side note and be out of the league in 5 years once his body deteriorates.

Thank you! You get it! Listen I know a lot of people here are discontent with many of our players' performances but you all need to understand that the majority are just kids barely into the league. Sullinger's been here for 3 years and has actually missed his first rookie year because of his back surgery. My knock on him has always been his weight but I think he can lose it if he really wanted to. I wouldn't trade him unless we were trading for a lottery pick (and y'all know that's not happening), and would give him till the end of next season to get in tip-top shape. If by then he's still a fatty then Ainge and co. would probably let him go and set their sights on another PF. If BKN stinks up the place next season we could be looking at a lottery pick. This year Ainge should focus his butt off on drafting a Center because it's been a long long time that an NBA Draft has had so many big men across the board. That way Sully can play the 4 without playing out of place and letting an actual C get down and dirty on the glass. If Sully doesn't pan out then I wouldn't mind sticking with Olynyk. A lot of people bash him and call him soft but the dude is a 7 ft PG with great passing skills and great post moves; a perfect compliment for a prototype Center. I'm still on board the Sully bandwagon, but will hop off if next season he still hittin' those donuts hard!
It would be good to see how good Sully would be if he played with a true center. Barkley was always considered out of shape and fat in his early years. I think CBS will send him to the post soon. CBS was hoping to make him a dual threat. But it is time to unleash him on the block.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i know this has been beaten to death, but what's really impeding sullinger's development is his weight.
this is a league based on speed, and he'd be able to expand his game with just a little more quickness. more speed means more opportunity to do different things. i think he'd be more able to find "daylight" under the rim, he'd get to his spots faster for jumpers, making him a more efficient offensive player. and his mobility on defense and on the boards would certainly improve, h eplays tough but doesn't have the foot speed to get to where he needs to go. sometimes on rebounds the ball will go right over his head like he was a 40-year old player instead of 25 or whatever.
ainge and stevens need to read him the riot act. he can either lose the weight and live up to his potential, or he can be an NBA side note and be out of the league in 5 years once his body deteriorates.

Thank you! You get it! Listen I know a lot of people here are discontent with many of our players' performances but you all need to understand that the majority are just kids barely into the league. Sullinger's been here for 3 years and has actually missed his first rookie year because of his back surgery. My knock on him has always been his weight but I think he can lose it if he really wanted to. I wouldn't trade him unless we were trading for a lottery pick (and y'all know that's not happening), and would give him till the end of next season to get in tip-top shape. If by then he's still a fatty then Ainge and co. would probably let him go and set their sights on another PF. If BKN stinks up the place next season we could be looking at a lottery pick. This year Ainge should focus his butt off on drafting a Center because it's been a long long time that an NBA Draft has had so many big men across the board. That way Sully can play the 4 without playing out of place and letting an actual C get down and dirty on the glass. If Sully doesn't pan out then I wouldn't mind sticking with Olynyk. A lot of people bash him and call him soft but the dude is a 7 ft PG with great passing skills and great post moves; a perfect compliment for a prototype Center. I'm still on board the Sully bandwagon, but will hop off if next season he still hittin' those donuts hard!
It would be good to see how good Sully would be if he played with a true center. Barkley was always considered out of shape and fat in his early years. I think CBS will send him to the post soon. CBS was hoping to make him a dual threat. But it is time to unleash him on the block.
yes!  i can understand as a trailer on the break shooting a wide open three ala mchale but sully doesn't have ko's three pointer so i'd much rather he watch zbo highlights and silas footage, mid range and in use he wide butt to his advantage

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I don't see that, as a "true center" almost assuredly plays closer to the basket and moves more slowly than, say, Zeller. Unless Sully close to doubles his recent shooting percentage from the 3, that presents spacing problems on the offense, and they're not a great match defensively either.

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Unless Sully close to doubles his recent shooting percentage from the 3, that presents spacing problems on the offense, and they're not a great match defensively either.

I do not think other teams even guard him.   Watch games and they are way off Sully on the perimeter most of the time.   Since, he is not quick and not a threat to drive around them it leads me to conclude that other teams want him to shoot because they believe that he can't.  I only noticed this on the threes, they try to guard him in the mid range and down low.

It would be good to see how good Sully would be if he played with a true center. Barkley was always considered out of shape and fat in his early years.

Barkley may have been hefty but he could jump and run, so they are night and day in that regard.   Barkley is also a hall of famer in talent level, I would say that Sully has good hands and is a solid rebounder, he has some nifty passes and some good at your using your body post moves.   He is a poor defender and athlete.   He has average shooting skills for the most part but get's worse at the 17 foot mark.   

KG stretched the floor with his seventeen foot jumpshot, it does not have to be a three.   Good basketball tactics is to execute what your good at, while taking away what the other team is good at.   Him shooting threes is only good for the other team.   We have won a handful of games when he has hit one late, but we lost fair move and lost possessions because he can't shoot them and can't rebound them.

According to 82 games he plays C 17% of the time.

Production by Position

Player Floor Time Stats by Position
Position    Min     Net Pts    Off        Def     Net48     W     L       Win%
PF           41%      +22    102.0   100.8     1.2           23   22     51%
C            17%      -65    93.6    101.4   -7.8           11   25     30%

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM

His defensive stats in this regard are not very good at either position but as I look at them he is worse guarding Centers than Power Forward.   Note that he produces per 48 but his opponents produces just as well as he does.  Opposing Centers shoot  .53% against him in the Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production.   The strangest stat is that he gets more blocks against Centers than Power Forwards.   I would assume quicker player can get shots off and he can't react but Centers being slower are easier for him to get.  But these stats show that he guards PF best.    When he plays C he is truly out of position.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM

So he can't even express his opinion?  I'm calling bull crap on tha

Have you read some of his other posts where he said he was good statistically and posted no stats to support it other than five man lineups?   I am guessing no. 

Of course, he can express his opinion.   If I came across too hard, I apologize to TheFlex and the forum and I'm sorry.

i'm still willing to give Sully one more chance to come in the best shape of his life for next season.  Be more efficient

He can be David West good

Let 's hope he does some soul searching and get's his act in gear.  I would not bet on it but it would help the team.

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
it's so easy to fall in love with the 3pt shot...story of his carrer so far...and food
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Yep, it doesn't require as much work to launch a three and stand on the perimeter as it does banging in the post.   You also have to run less up and down the court, running from three point line to the post, is shorter than post to post and adds up to a long distance over the course or 100 possessions.   I would be that it would be almost 1/2 mile less over the course of a game.

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
For the fans who attack other fans because they make negative posts about players, when a team has gone 25-57 and 16-28, what is going to happen?  We have bad players on the team.

Like most of the people have said, Sully is at a crossroads of his career.  If he is willing to work a little harder, he could take a leap in his development.  He's a 14/8 guy now and he could be an 18/10 guy.  We have enough other players to trade before the deadline, need to give Sully a chance.

Someone made an interesting post about hiring Thibodeau if he became available.  The post upset me for awhile and then I thought more about it.  As the poster correctly noted, Sully would either have to get in top shape or not play if Thibs was the coach.  I think Brad is too over-intellectual and too soft on his players.  Pop is hard on his players and communicates with "I want some nasty".  Simple, clear and to the point.  Stan Van Gundy says "Build a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing wall".  Straight, simple and to the point. 

As for Bradley, he sucks in my opinion and is not a starting caliber SG on a good team.

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Idk about you guys, but I prefer rookie-Sullinger over the guy we have right now.  Just look at a few of these highlights and you'll see a noticeable difference, and not just in terms of his weight.  He only took one 3-pointer during his rookie year, which seems unfathomable now.  Sigh.  Maybe it's me, but I'd rather have a big man who plays inside and has an automatic midrange game to a guy who mostly shoots threes (at least, that's how it seems during most nights).  Stevens isn't the only reason for the change in Sullinger's play, but he is a big part of the problem, imo. 

Anyway, this is the Sullinger I want to see -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqAQ1c8aTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaTXCU4I6IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5H0Rdoz-kI
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:51:22 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
There is good weight and there is bad weight, muscle weighs more than fat and it can be good weight.   The weight he has put on has not been good.

Statistically, he is probably a better player now but he does look leaner in those clips, thanks TP.

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 04:08:54 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yep, it doesn't require as much work to launch a three and stand on the perimeter as it does banging in the post.   You also have to run less up and down the court, running from three point line to the post, is shorter than post to post and adds up to a long distance over the course or 100 possessions.   I would be that it would be almost 1/2 mile less over the course of a game.

Problem is though that Sully likely wants to sit around the basket. Our coach however, doesn't want him to do that. He wants him to space the floor by standing out on the three point line.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.