Author Topic: Patriots trading Vrabel to Chiefs???  (Read 15600 times)

Re: Patriots trading Vrabel to Chiefs???
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
anyone else notice that SI in their ratings of the top 25 free agents has none other than Chris Canty at #6.  

Chris Canty the sixth rated free agent?  yikes.

Different Chris Canty (I assume you are talking about the awful CB that played for us a while ago).

This Chris Canty is a D-Lineman from the cowboys.

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
anyone else notice that SI in their ratings of the top 25 free agents has none other than Chris Canty at #6.  

Chris Canty the sixth rated free agent?  yikes.

Different Chris Canty (I assume you are talking about the awful CB that played for us a while ago).

This Chris Canty is a D-Lineman from the cowboys.

ummm.....nevermind.   :D
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This looks like a clear cap move to me.  I have to believe they would only make it if they already have plans for that cap space to be used on a linebacker, but it was all about the cap space.

Yes, I am starting to believe this is the case.  Prior to the trade, the Pats had $4-8M in cap space, I believe they clear another $4M by trading Vrabel.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
This looks like a clear cap move to me.  I have to believe they would only make it if they already have plans for that cap space to be used on a linebacker, but it was all about the cap space.

Yes, I am starting to believe this is the case.  Prior to the trade, the Pats had $4-8M in cap space, I believe they clear another $4M by trading Vrabel.

It could very well mean that they do not see a taker for Cassel until preseason.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
... or they don't WANT to trade Cassell until they see Brady back on the field.

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

It could very well mean that they do not see a taker for Cassel until preseason.

Could be.  Maybe also raises their bargaining power a bit with teams over Cassel (ie: the Pats are less likely to be forced to make a trade because of salary cap issues).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
With 2 2nd rounders and possibly 2 3rd rounders, I'm starting to think that our first rounder will be traded for a 1st next year, like we've done in the past.  Also I wouldn't put it past the Pats to trade Cassel to KC for a 1st rounder NEXT year as well.   

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
... or they don't WANT to trade Cassell until they see Brady back on the field.
I don't have anything but a gut feeling on this, but I think that the Patriots will trade Cassel when they get the right offer, whether that's before or after they see Brady take the field. In other words, I think they're confident enough in Brady returning and playing well to potentially trade Cassel in the offseason. Just a gut feeling though.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
With 2 2nd rounders and possibly 2 3rd rounders, I'm starting to think that our first rounder will be traded for a 1st next year, like we've done in the past.  Also I wouldn't put it past the Pats to trade Cassel to KC for a 1st rounder NEXT year as well.   
Question: would you trade the Pats 1st rounder 2009 + Cassell to KC for the 2009 KC 2nd rounder + 2010 KC 1st rounder?
(I would)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I like the move. I love Vrabel, but we desperately need some youth in the LB corps.

The Celtics need youth at PF...but no one is advocating trading KG to get a pick that may become that.

It doesnt make sense...

Is Vrabel a top 5 LB? No. There's more wear and tear on a 33 year old in football than there is with a 33 year old in basketball. You're comparing apples to oranges.

The point was, you dont trade a starter who is still performing at a high level, who epitomizes everything your team stands for, just to get 'youth'.  If Vrable couldnt still perform at a high level, then I understand, but he is one season removed from double digit sack totals.  and any 'youth' at the position would be brought along slowly, not being thrown to the wolves (Mayo was a rare rare exception). 

I think it's a lot different in football where you have 22 starters, plus special teams, plus backups.  You really can have 40 or more people contribute to a game.  In basketball, come playoff time the starters play most of the minutes with 3-4 bench players stepping in.  Thus, trading Garnett is like trading at least 5 or 6 starters in football.  If you really look at what Garnett contributes offensively and defensively, it's probably closer to 8-10. 

I'd wait to see how things play out before jumping to conclusions.  The Pats need to fill so many positions, that this could work out for them.  Plus, BB has seldom let us down with his ingenuity.  I'm sure he knows something. 

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Question: would you trade the Pats 1st rounder 2009 + Cassell to KC for the 2009 KC 2nd rounder + 2010 KC 1st rounder?
(I would)

That sounds pretty fair.

Basically, trading Cassell for KC's 2010 1st rounder (I would guess they'll be better, but still probably be somewhere between #8 and #12), but dropping eleven slots in this year's draft.  Save a little salary on the draft picks this year in the process.

I think I'd do that.  Sign someone like Jeff Garcia on the cheap to be an experienced backup.  

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

except this is often done when our pick is towards the end of the round.  At 23, it is no 'guarantee' that the future pick would be better...

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
(I would)

That sounds pretty fair.

Basically, trading Cassell for KC's 2010 1st rounder (I would guess they'll be better, but still probably be somewhere between #8 and #12), but dropping eleven slots in this year's draft.  Save a little salary on the draft picks this year in the process.

I think I'd do that.  Sign someone like Jeff Garcia on the cheap to be an experienced backup.  

I would.  Can they throw in Tony Gonzales too?  The cheifs make sense, scott and bill have a good relationship, they need a qb we got one extra. 

Would Detriot trade 20 for cassell if stafford and sanchez are gone? 

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Even in decline, Vrabel was an excellent player.  Smart. Versatile. Let's hope they got a decent return for him.

In fairness to the Patriots, it's always better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.

I'm sure this means they have a deal for Cassell and will be bringing in a veteran FA linebacker with that cap space. Ray Lewis wouldn't be too shabby.

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
In fairness to the Patriots, it's always better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late.

Right, and the Patriots have usually been ahead of the curve with this kind of thing. I still remember the sky falling when Lawyer Milloy left. :P

I find this somewhat surprising because at the same time, Bill loves the senior citizen LBs. It seems like he usually puts a premium on guys being in the right place at the right time even if those guys are a step or two behind athletically.