Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354921 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #900 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2947
I hope Ainge is calling the Sixers for Noel.

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I think we can really challenge Toronto in the playoffs with a Noel upgrade.

« Reply #901 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Would Philly do 2017 and 2018 Nets First round pick for Embiid? Celtics taking a gamble, Sixers getting a strong offer.

« Reply #902 on: January 11, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Would Philly do 2017 and 2018 Nets First round pick for Embiid? Celtics taking a gamble, Sixers getting a strong offer.
philly is not gonna trade their process unless it's lebron/curry/davis

« Reply #903 on: January 11, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
philly is not gonna trade their process unless it's lebron/curry/davis

Well that's disappointing.

« Reply #904 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Uh oh, Love just went down holding his left knee after stepping on another player's foot.

« Reply #905 on: January 11, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Uh oh, Love just went down holding his left knee after stepping on another player's foot.

Yeah, looks like he's trying to walk it off on the sideline tho.

« Reply #906 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:38 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Embiid and the 76ers have won 4 of their last 5 (barely lost to us).  Great for the Nets pick.   Simmons might be back within the next couple months.  They have been playing great since Noel returned.

Not possible. We have a losing culture.

The fact that we suddenly had a massive influx of talent including a 7'2 pterodactyl who can shoot 3s is irrelevant, the fact that once the talent assembled got healthy they improved dramatically is irrelevant. Nope the Sixers are winless regardless of wins this year because of culture.

What is a losing culture? ROFL if you don't know then you obviously have one, it's not something idiots make up because they can't logically refute losing games to acquire a Center who had an off night and went for 21 and 14.

This guy serious?

You won 50 games over the past three seasons and had 3 shots at a good NBA center, you finally stumbled across a really good one, and you're suddenly under the impression that there was never a culture of losing?

It was well worth that 3 years of being a laughing stock. You're so close to that elusive championship now. Its just around the corner.

I'd gladly take three years of a "culture of losing" for Embiid.  I don't think I've ever seen a player with such little experience that is as good as him.  Embiid has a chance to be a perennial all-NBA first team player.

And that doesn't even address the roster flexibility.  Philly is in the running for any star that hits the trade market.

Id take 3 years of developing younger players to develop a very strong playoff roster. What you've said and what I've said are two very different things though, even now.

The end game has to be winning lots of basketball games. And Philly aren't close to that. You're trying to build a team that wins a trophy, not a bomb shelter with assets and young prospects.

Embiid is the one move of theirs throughout this whole "process" that has been successful.

You cast your eyes over the main producers and contributors to the Philly team and the guys that really excel in the advanced statistical categories and there are 3 constants with a win share over 1.

Joel Embiid (Big tick - Young 22 year old superstar)
Ersan Ilyasova (29 year old veteran rebounder/3 point shooter in the ryan anderson mould-hmm)
Gerald Henderson (29 year old veteran guard-hmm)

So, other than Embiid, has philly's young roster really progressed to the point of being recognized as a playoff maybe from being dog crap last year? Or have they just added a couple of reasonably good, savvy veteran basketball players that have contributed to some wins over  inexperienced opponents?

I put to you that if you take Henderson and Ilyasova out of that lineup, Philly return to being just as awful as they were last year.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:57:37 AM by jdz101 »

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #907 on: January 12, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Meanwhile, the Cavs have started their West Coast road trip poorly.  Beat the Suns in a game that went down to the wire, and then have lost to Utah and Portland.  They have Sacramento and the Warriors left on the trip.  If they lose to the Kings, it will have been a terrible trip.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but if the Celtics could ever just get healthy, I think they could challenge the Cavs for the top conference record, much less finish ahead of Toronto.  Cleveland looks like they're just coasting through the regular season a bit.

I still wouldn't expect us to beat Cleveland in the playoffs, but it'd be nice to let Cleveland and Toronto play each other in the second round.

« Reply #908 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

« Reply #909 on: January 12, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Indiana got torched by Denver. With Toronto unable to get an above average PF, it looks like Cleveland won't lose more than 3 games en route to the Finals.

« Reply #910 on: January 12, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489

Probably not. If Embiid stays healthy, neither player taken has much of a shot of being as good as Embiid will be. Now there is inherent risk involved because of his injury city, but there is very little chance the man viewed at as the savior and an end to the dark clouds sitting over Philly.
#JKJB

« Reply #911 on: January 12, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

The incentive is that his value becomes less and less as time goes on.  He also has only his qualifying offer left for next season.  I'm not sure if this will change under the new CBA but if he signs the QO, he CANNOT be traded without his consent.  So, the longer Philly waits, the less time other teams would have to evaluate Noel and decide whether or not they want to sign him to the massive extension he's going to want.

Philly can wait, but there is a real risk the offers will only get worse and they could ultimately lose Noel for nothing.  THAT is the incentive to trade him as soon as possible.

Mike 

« Reply #912 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Sure, if you ignore reality and pretty much only listen to fans on LibertyBallers.

It's widely reported that Noel does not want to stay there outside of the max, which they're certainly not going to give to a backup player behind Embiid, because he's not a backup big and doesn't want to be one. And even if they would be willing to do something that stupid, which they aren't, mind you, it's clear that that's not a move that good organizations make.

Here's Kyler talking about it recently:

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819303748384280577

I know people want to believe Nerlens would be OK staying, but barring a MAX deal from the 76ers, he wants to move on from my understanding

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819304238748696576

Noel was told after his "I'm not a 8 minute player" rant to stay quiet and let the 76ers do what they need to do.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819312668830003201

Not any offer but I think they ultimately move him [Noel] before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819313357920600066

As I tweeted a few times. I don't think either are in the grand scheme for the 76ers. They have more time with Okafor

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819527588976726020

Clock is not ticking on Okafor as it is for Noel. 76ers have time on an Okafor deal. I don't think both are in long-term for the 76ers

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528335432843264

Maybe, but like I said, the vibe I got from the situation is 76ers will move Nerlens before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819530228867485698

That is fine, but my understanding if neither party wants to stay together, so that is always bad when you hold a guy hostage.

So, yeah, it's pretty obvious that he's getting traded. Sure, they're not going to trade him for a bad contract like Mozgov or something, but they're clearly not going to get anywhere near what they want for him. They'll trade him at the deadline, even if it's for something as simple as a conditional first round pick, middling prospect, and salary filler.

« Reply #913 on: January 12, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Indiana got torched by Denver. With Toronto unable to get an above average PF, it looks like Cleveland won't lose more than 3 games en route to the Finals.

Cleveland does have some issues with depth and have been losing a bit recently. They only have 3 less loses than the raptors at this point and definitely are missing the depth of Jr Smith and Delly at the moment. If they don't upgrade the backup point (which I assume they will since Lebron asked) they would lose more than 3 games en route to the finals.

Also despite an 8 page thread where people talked about the Korver trade and the impact he is averaging 2 points a game in 20 minutes for them. I am sure he will have his moments as the season progresses but he is 35 and pretty washed up. He is not the savior the ESPN frontpage article and reaction of NBA players made him out to be.

« Reply #914 on: January 12, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3007
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, Cleveland is still making the Finals and likely winning it too unless the Warriors can get some size at the deadline.

But it's amazing how they would only be the #4 seed in the West.

Celtics would be a #5-6 seed in the West.

If Harden stays healthy and keeps it up, it might turn out to be a dogfight in the West Playoffs (Golden State, Houston, San Antonio - maybe even Thunder/Clippers surprise us)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller