Author Topic: Celtics high / low win total  (Read 3454 times)

Re: Celtics high / low win total
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 03:03:56 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
With a healthy roster (minor issues but nothing on par with last season) I believe the win column will be between 53 - 62. I think it will more likely be closer to 62. I don't think I am optimistic, I just know this team and coach are that good.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
High 67 + banner
Low 57 + ECF exit

I predict 65 + banner
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Stevens could take the 2nd unit and win 47 games so I'm not sure where they get that number. Now contending for a title vs not - I could see a scenario where they win 50 and have no chance at a title - just look at last year.  Big thing is Kyrie, Hayward and Al need to stay healthy - and you can probably add Tatum to that list too, though I think a healthy Hayward more than equals last year's version of him.
Come on now.  No way a lineup of Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis, and Baynes is a 47 win team.  None at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Stevens could take the 2nd unit and win 47 games so I'm not sure where they get that number. Now contending for a title vs not - I could see a scenario where they win 50 and have no chance at a title - just look at last year.  Big thing is Kyrie, Hayward and Al need to stay healthy - and you can probably add Tatum to that list too, though I think a healthy Hayward more than equals last year's version of him.
Come on now.  No way a lineup of Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis, and Baynes is a 47 win team.  None at all.

If he had Irving, Hayward, Brown, Tatum and Horford coming off the bench maybe.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
before pre-season, I'd have said 66 high and 55 low.

after pre-season.  62 high, 52 low with 59 the likely total of wins.

seeing how poorly the roster played and fit (or more accurately, didn't fit) together on the court was very disturbing.  there's too much talent for this team not to be successful but it's apparently going to take a lot longer for Hayward to get back to prior playing level and to fit everyone into a cohesive unit.  definitely a situation where more training camp prior to the games (or at least better interspersed between games) would have worked out better for them.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Best case: 67 wins

Worst case: 49 wins

My guess: 59 wins

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I actually consider Baynes a starter (and I think he's going to wind up starting more nights than not), so I figure he'd have one of Brown/Tatum.  With Brad coaching them and the way they'd play D, I'd say they have a decent shot at it. Regular season isn't playoffs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:39:52 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
My guess is low 55, high 65.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Before preseason I would I would have said 60 wins. After watching preseason I'm worried injuries to Haywood, Kyrie, Theis (and eventually others) are going to decimate the Celtics.

Low 27 high 42. If injuries don't prove to be that bad...then, I'd go as high as 53.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Before preseason I would I would have said 60 wins. After watching preseason I'm worried injuries to Haywood, Kyrie, Theis (and eventually others) are going to decimate the Celtics.

Low 27 high 42. If injuries don't prove to be that bad...then, I'd go as high as 53.

I'm making my judgements based more on last year's performance far more than the meaningless pre-season.

After all, our team is pretty much the same except with Hayward in the mix. Theis going down really didn't make that much of a difference last year. We pretty much killed it in the playoffs without Kyrie, Hayward and Theis.

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like we're still a winner even in the event that Rozier has to take over for Kyrie in spots. You get less efficient offense but better D and rebounding from him.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Man...  It's hard to imagine the scenario where we only hit 27 wins -- or, in a "best case scenario", get to 42.

27 wins is Sacramento Kings territory.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Man...  It's hard to imagine the scenario where we only hit 27 wins -- or, in a "best case scenario", get to 42.

Generally, I'm not this pessimistic, but I didn't see anything in preseason that indicated that this would be a winning team.

My biggest worry (and the fear that made me mega-skeptical of the Irving trade) is the health of his knee. Additional surgeries generally make knees worse.

As for Haywood he now has back problems. They can linger for years. His has flared up again. Will this be a chronic injury? Even if not, can he return to his old form with his broken foot.

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

This is a take like "after watching the first summer league game, I can tell [Top 10 pick] will never have an NBA career" on steroids.

Imagine believing that, best case, Hayward is worth -13 wins (and that's before accounting for any improvement from the young guys). Or, "if injuries don't prove to be that bad", at least -2 wins
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Generally, I'm not this pessimistic, but I didn't see anything in preseason that indicated that this would be a winning team.

My biggest worry (and the fear that made me mega-skeptical of the Irving trade) is the health of his knee. Additional surgeries generally make knees worse.

As for Haywood he now has back problems. They can linger for years. His has flared up again. Will this be a chronic injury? Even if not, can he return to his old form with his broken foot.

Hayward. Brendan Haywood retired in 2015. And even if he never played another game for us, we won 55 without him last year.

As for Irving, he didn't have another surgery in the normal sense if the word. He had the hardware that was previously put in removed. Having more knee surgeries is generally only an issue when they are performed on ligaments/cartilage/tendons because of the way they heal, but removing screws and wire from a knee won't have any effect on his tendons/ligaments/cartilage
I'm bitter.