Author Topic: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?  (Read 5517 times)

Re: So.. what is Nerlens Noel's market going to be like next year?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd consider signing him on a 1-year minimum, or maybe on a 2 or 3-year deal with non-guaranteed out years for part of the MLE at a little more, but I don't think he's worth much more than that.

Centers are going to have a really hard time finding money in free agency this season.  Between the lack cap space across the league, the number of teams already with tons of money/bad money tied up in Center contracts, and the large number of quality big men coming into the league in the 2018 draft I think some of the lesser free agents are going to get squeezed big time.

Brook Lopez, Baynes, Noel, Okafor, Alex Len, and Greg Monroe are all going to be UFA's looking for a piece of the same small pile of money this summer.  And that's before teams start cutting non-guaranteed guys, team/player options don't get exercised, etc.  Buyers market this year.

I think there is a reasonable chance Okafor has to go overseas or the g league. I remember when I used to be on an island on this board saying he was terrible. Got a few more people on the island now.

I see Okafor getting cheap deal from Nets, so they can continue to build up his value into a reliable sixth man.  Guy still can score, needs to keep working on defense and efficiency, should become valuable trade chip when they do decide to trade for a star.  That'd be my guess for what Nets' have in mind

As for Noel, this dude is absolutely toast.  If Rick Carlisle doesn't want anything to do with you, it is likely no one will take flyers.  Just look how far Rondo's value fell once Rick was done with him.
The notion that Okafor could become a valuable trade chip for a star is a pipe dream.  His stint with the Nets has confirmed how bad of an NBA player he currently is.  He's been in the league 3 years and he doesn't appear to have improved at all.  Nets should focus on Jarret Allen.

Yes and no. They guy has value, just needs minutes. He needs to earn them but once he figures out how to grab minutes, he will show his worth. I also agree the Nets should focus on Allen, but they’re not winning so why not do both.