Author Topic: Spo and D'Antoni receive NBCA CotY Award - No Love for BS?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/07/inaugural-michael-goldberg-nbca-coach-year-award-mike-dantoni-erik-spoelstra

Did anyone else see this?  I can't believe Brad Steven's didn't receive a single vote from his fellow coaches, and Doc did.  Coaches can't vote for themselves.

Re: Spo and D'Antoni receive NBCA CotY Award - No Love for BS?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Rivers receiving votes negates the validity of this award imo.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »

• Al Horford
Yeah not sure how a Clippers team that by all measure underperformed their expectations was better coached than a team that won the 1st seed while battling injuries all season long.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

• Al Horford
I can understand Spo or D'Antoni winning it, but the fact that CBS didn't receive a single vote seems insane to me.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think it's a joke for Spoelstra to be on top.  It's a Coach of the Year award, not coach of the second half.  That team started out terribly, and ultimately missed the playoffs because of their first 2.5 months.  Good job turning the team around, but since there were no major acquisitions or injuries in the first half, shouldn't he get his fair share of the blame for being a bottom 3 team into mid-January?

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think it's a joke for Spoelstra to be on top.  It's a Coach of the Year award, not coach of the second half.  That team started out terribly, and ultimately missed the playoffs because of their first 2.5 months.  Good job turning the team around, but since there were no major acquisitions or injuries in the first half, shouldn't he get his fair share of the blame for being a bottom 3 team into mid-January?

I agree...we on the other hand showed resilence in the face of adversity..battled from 4th or even 5th place in mid january, lost AB for almost 2 months and still managed to squeeze into the top seed...how in the world do this stupid coaches vote anyway?...Maybe they hate BS because he managed to make Boston a contender despite the obstacles we had to endure.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand how Kerr got a vote. They could use Javale McGee as a player coach and still win 60 games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Spoelstra is a total joke. I was disgusted by the decision until I realized this isn't the 'real' coach of the year award. Hopefully D'Antoni rightfully receives the award when it is announced on 6/26.

Of course my choice is Brad Stevens, but there doesn't appear to be any chance of that.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This isn't the usual coach of the year award, though. The bolded part is part of the criteria. Did Stevens do any community work?

The Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award recognizes the dedication and hard work of NBA Head Coaches and is presented annually to a Head Coach who helps guide his players to a higher level of performance on the court and shows outstanding service and dedication to the community off the court.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think the argument is Miami was decimated with injuries those first 2.5 months.

Dion Waiters, who turned out to be a very important piece to the Heat, missed 20 games from 11/28 until 1/4.  Basically he played half of the first 40 games.

Also during the first half of the season, Dragic missed 8 games, Josh Richardson missed 10 games, and Justise Winslow only played 18 games all year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:59:27 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I can understand Spo or D'Antoni winning it, but the fact that CBS didn't receive a single vote seems insane to me.

The other coaches voted.  They most not think highly of him.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Miami didn't even make the playoffs and Celtics are a #1 seed..wow
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
What a joke. D'Antoni gets credit for, what? Letting perhaps the most dynamic offensive player in the league do his thing? Real genius there.

And then Spoelstra, whose team doesn't even make the playoffs in a relatively weak Eastern Conference?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »

• Al Horford
This isn't the usual coach of the year award, though. The bolded part is part of the criteria. Did Stevens do any community work?

The Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award recognizes the dedication and hard work of NBA Head Coaches and is presented annually to a Head Coach who helps guide his players to a higher level of performance on the court and shows outstanding service and dedication to the community off the court.

If that's the case, then why were Spo and D'Antoni the top two vote getters?  I thought their main case for them was they had legit arguments for CotY.  I don't necessarily agree, but they are valid arguments.

Also, I realize this isn't the official CotY award, but it is still interesting that CBS didn't receive a SINGLE vote from his peers.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think the argument is Miami was decimated with injuries those first 2.5 months.

Dion Waiters, who turned out to be a very important piece to the Heat, missed 20 games from 11/28 until 1/4.  Basically he played half of the first 40 games.

Also during the first half of the season, Dragic missed 8 games, Josh Richardson missed 10 games, and Justise Winslow only played 18 games all year.

I find that argument suspect.  Waiters missed nearly half of the second half too.  Dragic missing 8 games in the first half isn't nothing, but they went 11-30 during the first half, including 10-23 with Dragic.  They were also better without Winslow (recordwise) than with him.

The Heat had some injuries this year, but they weren't decimated any more than the Celtics, Cavs, Raptors, or Bucks were.  They were a fine story, but they didn't even make the playoffs.  It's pretty unimpressive in my book.  If they'd gone 30-11 in the first half, before having a few key injuries in the second half and finished 41-41, missing the playoffs, we'd call it one of the biggest collapses ever, and certainly not something that merits postseason coaching accolades.