Author Topic: Yao Ming Hall Of Fame nomination...?  (Read 8790 times)

Re: Yao Ming Hall Of Fame nomination...?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Walton's in, doesn't Yao pretty much have to be in too?
Walton is a bad example in a way because his college career alone would have warranted inclusion.

Yup.  Plus, when he was healthy in the league he was more dominant than Yao ever was.

Walton was just a transcendent player whose career was struck down early by injuries.  Yao on the other hand was an All-star player, but IMO was never a top 5 player in the league.  

Fair enough and I do agree from the transcendence point. Walton was the better player when healthy.

I was just looking at it from the angle of injury-plagued careers and glancing over the numbers where there are some similiarites (although Walton has clearly better assist numbers and incrementally better in stls & blks).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Walton is a bad example in a way because his college career alone would have warranted inclusion.

Yup.  Plus, when he was healthy in the league he was more dominant than Yao ever was.

Walton was just a transcendent player whose career was struck down early by injuries.  Yao on the other hand was an All-star player, but IMO was never a top 5 player in the league.  

Fair enough and I do agree from the transcendence point. Walton was the better player when healthy.

I was just looking at it from the angle of injury-plagued careers and glancing over the numbers where there are some similiarites (although Walton has clearly better assist numbers and incrementally better in stls & blks).
Walton was also in the top 50 players on the anniversary team and has two of the single most important statistic....rings.

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Walton was also in the top 50 players on the anniversary team and has two of the single most important statistic....rings.

Yup, and that is a HUGE part of it.  Particularly since he was the best player on a championship team.