Author Topic: Arenas suspended indefinitely  (Read 23803 times)

Re: Arenas suspended indefinitely
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Stupid. Now that he was playing well. I had lots of fun watching him last night vs the 76ers.
The suspension? Or Arenas's handling of the situation?

I think the suspension is warranted given that Arenas wouldn't do the smart thing and just bunker down like Delonte has and play.

The suspension. Fine him, take away 99.9% of his annual salary, but allow the fans to watch the best players playing. What was Arenas supposed to do, what has Delonte done differently?
Delonte didn't break the regulations within the collective bargaining agreement his union negotiated with the league by bringing the guns to the arena. All he did was carry the guns in an illegal manner. But nto in an NBA facility and that is all the difference in the world.

Okay, but I didn't bring up Delonte West.

Delonte, for all his mental and emotional instability, was at least smart enough to keep his mouth shut. Arenas' mouth once again wrote a check his ass couldn't cash. He's a moron.

Is he suspended for, from your point of view, being a moron? Is he suspended for things he said?

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nice to see that poker games haven't progressed much from the Old West. Arenas is a child and a thug, and I honestly hope these guys get more than a suspension.
Thug? Arenas? A child, definitely. Never seemed at all a thug to me. Maybe I have a different concept of the word.

It might be a lot harder for Javaris collect now that Gilbert might have problems paying bills. I imagine Gilbert's endorsements will jump ship. I suppose he could play abroad if the suspension is particularly long.

Let's not forget that what he did was stupid and a violation of the collective bargaining agreement, but it was still an unloaded gun. He know no one was actually at risk of any harm. I think people talking about a lifetime ban are really getting carried away. Even Vick got to return to his livelihood, and what he did was clearly unethical and harmful.

Let's keep some perspective. Gilbert broke laws & NBA rules, but he harmed no one! I agree with a suspension of a full season, but let's not get carried away due to the sensational coverage. This doesn't even compare to what Stephen Jackson did (though the penalty will be larger due to the rules in place since then and the laws in DC).

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Nick was responding to my comment about Delonte as well as you all at the same time scoop.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Stupid. Now that he was playing well. I had lots of fun watching him last night vs the 76ers.

I think the suspension is warranted given that Arenas wouldn't do the smart thing and just bunker down like Delonte has and play.

The suspension. Fine him, take away 99.9% of his annual salary, but allow the fans to watch the best players playing. What was Arenas supposed to do, what has Delonte done differently?

thats what Gilbert did before the game last night.  Delonte came to work, shut his mouth, apologized, and did his job.

what Gilbert did and said last night was the equivalent of Delonte coming out with a guitar case strapped to his back when his name is called in the starting lineup.

as far as letting him play, who cares, he hasnt earned the right to play anymore.  Letting him still play, paid or not,  and be in front of the cameras will do nothing but inflate his ego and self entitlement.

I'm all for taking his money away, but like I said in my other response, if I was Stern I'd make the Wizards stay on the hook for his contract even if they tell Gilbert to take a hike, make them donate the remainder of his contract to charity.  Teams need to start thinking twice before they start throwing clowns like Arenas all this money.
Greg

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My guess is before the end of the month Washington will have voided his contract based on Grunfeld's comments. I don't see how any other conclusion can be drawn.

This will completely change the way the Wizards could approach the off season as, if they trade away Jamison and Stephenson in a package for an expiring contract and picks, the Wizards could have as much as $33 million in cap space for two max or nearly max level players to add to Caron Butler, Andray Blatche, Nick Young, JaVale McGee, Randy Foye and Domenic McGuire.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
In that photo, isn't he joking? I suppose some may appreciate the joke while those with less inclination for humor noir will find it disgusting and completely unfunny, but it's still a joke.

I'd understand better if he was suspended for having guns in the locker room. But he wasn't. He was suspended because he made a joke.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

thats what Gilbert did before the game last night.  Delonte came to work, shut his mouth, apologized, and did his job.

what Gilbert did and said last night was the equivalent of Delonte coming out with a guitar case strapped to his back when his name is called in the starting lineup.

as far as letting him play, who cares, he hasnt earned the right to play anymore.  Letting him still play, paid or not,  and be in front of the cameras will do nothing but inflate his ego and self entitlement.

I'm all for taking his money away, but like I said in my other response, if I was Stern I'd make the Wizards stay on the hook for his contract even if they tell Gilbert to take a hike, make them donate the remainder of his contract to charity.  Teams need to start thinking twice before they start throwing clowns like Arenas all this money.

If the contract was violated, it is the right of the team to void it. This is simple stuff. Making the Wizards stay on the hook makes no sense whatsoever. If they are legally entitled to continue to pay, then they should. If there was a violation, then it is up to them if they wish to terminate the contract.

What would make sense is fining the team for allowing a player to have weapons in the locker room. If they were aware of the violation, a very large fine.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I really hope the fans vote Gilbert and Iverson into the All-Star Game.

Would Stern take away what the fans want to see??????

If this happened (and there is still a good chance it could) Stern would probably start foaming at the mouth. hahahaha

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
In that photo, isn't he joking? I suppose some may appreciate the joke while those with less inclination for humor noir will find it disgusting and completely unfunny, but it's still a joke.

I'd understand better if he was suspended for having guns in the locker room. But he wasn't. He was suspended because he made a joke.
I find the picture quite funny. It definitely helps the team get up for the game with all the distractions. Doing that probably helped relieve a lot of tensions.

Nevertheless, very risky joke by Gilbert at a point when his future is so vulnerable.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Stern suspended him because he wouldn't shut the hell up. What he did is actually not a super huge crime. If he had just handled it like it was, though, because everyone was panicking, he could have gotten away with whatever legal punishment he will receive and MAYBE a suspension. But he was a stubborn idiot about it. He was like that kid who gets in a fight, has it broken up, but won't shut up. He's just making more trouble for himself.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Apparently brandishing guns and telling a coworker to choose one to settle a confrontation is a joke to Arenas too.  ::)Seems those liking that type of joke and humor are in the very large minority when it comes to the subject of hand guns.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown

Apparently brandishing guns and telling a coworker to choose one to settle a confrontation is a joke to Arenas too.  ::)Seems those liking that type of joke and humor are in the very large minority when it comes to the subject of hand guns.

As I've said, he wasn't suspended for brandishing guns or taking them into a locker room.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown

I find the picture quite funny. It definitely helps the team get up for the game with all the distractions. Doing that probably helped relieve a lot of tensions.

Yeps, I think it helped the Wizars to win that game.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

How so?  I think it's fair to say that he was suspended for having guns in the locker room, along with the public backlash that forced the NBA to act.  Arenas, through his antics, contributed to that backlash.

When you have Al Sharpton calling the NBA racist because it *didn't* suspend Arenas, and numerous non-sports outlets calling for his suspension, it's no surprise that Stern would act.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

As I've said, he wasn't suspended for brandishing guns or taking them into a locker room.

uhh yeah he was.  If his suspension was ONLY bc of his actions last night, it wouldnt be an indefinite suspension.  The league cant suspend him twice, thats why they made it indefinite.  They couldnt suspend him for 20 games, then have the DC Government finish it's investigation and have more of the story come to light, then turn around and suspend him again.  Even though Stern can suspend him right now because hes already admitted violating league rules, Im sure he was planning to wait until the investigation was through to make his suspension, but after Gilberts complete mockery of the situation over the past few days hes acted on his opportunity to do it now.

You can split hairs if you want and say his actions over the past couple prompted the suspension, but his actions over the past couple days are all based on the fact that he brought guns into the locker room.
Greg